Ian Durrant: What might have been.

The Widow's Son

He was such a joy to watch as a young player, full of running and skill.  When you watch old footage, you can appreciate what a talent he was from a country that hasn't produced much talent in recent time.  I was amazed to see that he was on the small side on the rare occasions I saw him in person.  Could have been one of the greatest were it not for a crude tackle that day at Pittodrie.  Not sure where he is these days but I hope that he's well and happy.

4 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

He was such a joy to watch as a young player, full of running and skill.  When you watch old footage, you can appreciate what a talent he was from a country that hasn't produced much talent in recent time.  I was amazed to see that he was on the small side on the rare occasions I saw him in person.  Could have been one of the greatest were it not for a crude tackle that day at Pittodrie.  Not sure where he is these days but I hope that he's well and happy.

So Mote It Be !!!

1 hour ago, The Widow's Son said:

I was too young to fully appreciate him, but he was a great player. 

Just now, Dazzler said:

I was too young to fully appreciate him, but he was a great player. 

I remember when he was making his comeback and my dad was raving about him, wonderful player that really could have been the best Scotland had produced.

1 hour ago, TMB said:

Well, he certainly made a lot of money out of Rangers.  His coaching role under McCoist paid him an absolute fortune.

Aye strictly speaking that's correct. Is that his fault though really? I feel ally should've known better on what he did, but realistically I think durrant was far enough down the food chain that he can't really be held responsible. He seemed to be an awful coach though. Terrible impression of him any time I saw an interview of him. 

4 minutes ago, VentyFour said:

I remember when he was making his comeback and my dad was raving about him, wonderful player that really could have been the best Scotland had produced.

It was during his come back that I started going to games regularly. 

Made some great contributions, especially on the European nights. 

Tremendous player,  loved watching him slice through defences with ease. Old head on young shoulders my old man used to say. 

I was there the day it happened, horrible, horrible bastard that did him, no attempt to play the ball as we all know. I'm still convinced to this day that Simpson or some other Aberdeen player had been instructed to nobble him.

Durrant had been playing out of his skin on the run up to this game & we were due to play them in the Skol Cup Final only 2 weeks later.

Coincidence? Nah - not for me.

1 hour ago, SpidermansGaffer said:

Tremendous player,  loved watching him slice through defences with ease. Old head on young shoulders my old man used to say. 

I was there the day it happened, horrible, horrible bastard that did him, no attempt to play the ball as we all know. I'm still convinced to this day that Simpson or some other Aberdeen player had been instructed to nobble him.

Durrant had been playing out of his skin on the run up to this game & we were due to play them in the Skol Cup Final only 2 weeks later.

Coincidence? Nah - not for me.

NB - I wrote a brand new Rover 216S off in Stonehaven on the way home to boot...

Agree there,Durrant had been terrorising them for a few seasons..someone made a decision to put him out the game?

One of the best players I've ever seen. Would have been sensational but for Simpsons butchery. Remember being at Ibrox with the BB and he came in through the main door. He had this big mop of curly hair and was wearing a pink shirt. This came at the time when only homosexual men and Spandau Ballet wore pink. I immediately knew he was a Tony Hadley fan.

Saw him walking his dog the other day and was actually thinking the same as the OP. Seemed like he had a slight limp but I know he had hip problems latterly so it may be down to this. However, back to Durrant the player - if Ray Wilkins stated that he could have been a star in Italy you know that he was a player from the top drawer...