The club requires a captain in the traditional mould.

backup

The guy who wears the armband ends up getting extra stick, case in point for Tav who was getting even more pelters than usual the second he was named captain by Gerrard

Pretty sure it was Brentford who done this but the idea of not actually naming a captain, unless there's a stand out for it, sounded like a much better idea for a team like us with so many new players.

The idea being that the team go out and take responsibility for everything together rather than everybody waiting for the captain to stand up and be the leader.

5 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

The guy who wears the armband ends up getting extra stick, case in point for Tav who was getting even more pelters than usual the second he was named captain by Gerrard

Pretty sure it was Brentford who done this but the idea of not actually naming a captain, unless there's a stand out for it, sounded like a much better idea for a team like us with so many new players.

The idea being that the team go out and take responsibility for everything together rather than everybody waiting for the captain to stand up and be the leader.

Never been The Rangers way and hopefully never will be, the bees done enough damage by inflicting the loaf on us !

1 minute ago, backup said:

Never been The Rangers way and hopefully never will be, the bees done enough damage by inflicting the loaf on us !

Sadly true ?

Liked the sound of the idea personally unless there was a stand out for the armband. Out of the current bunch, McGregor is the only 1 id want to have it

1 hour ago, backup said:

As far back as I can remember we had men of stature playing for The Rangers, none more so than our illustrious captains all eleven of them, not any more.

Today's lot lack inspiration, mettle and any understanding of what it is to be a Rangers player and the honour, plus dare I say it the expectations and traditions that come with that honour.

Our manager was a great captain, I hope he can address this problem with the same class and ferocity that he himself displayed as a Captain who led by example.

I get what you're trying to say but I don't think it's as simple as that, in the past we had players taking over the captaincy from successful captains, guys who knew what it felt like to succeed with Rangers, knew what was required from them, the last six years have destroyed that continuity, we're now needing a captain to learn those qualities while on the job, 

Go back 25 years from 2012, Davis, Weir, Ferguson, Klos/Ricksen, Ferguson, Amo, Gough, Butcher

The only two who weren't already winners with Rangers (Amo and Butcher) were two who had the presence and strength of character to pull it off plus it helped they were lynchpins of teams at the beginning of revolutions

1 hour ago, backup said:

As far back as I can remember we had men of stature playing for The Rangers, none more so than our illustrious captains all eleven of them, not any more.

Today's lot lack inspiration, mettle and any understanding of what it is to be a Rangers player and the honour, plus dare I say it the expectations and traditions that come with that honour.

Our manager was a great captain, I hope he can address this problem with the same class and ferocity that he himself displayed as a Captain who led by example.

Good post! Not sure where we will find a worthy candidate but agree 100%

1 hour ago, backup said:

When Gerrard took over he wasn't exactly spoiled for choice in the leadership department, no matter whom he selected it was never going to be the correct choice if judged against previous Rangers captains.  The only way we will find a captain who meets your definition is via the transfer market as we have no one either willing or capable of filling the role. 

Someone mentioned Halliday, FFS he hardly makes the bench and he's not a leader, other than that a decent choice who used to live just round the corner. 

The captain wasn’t the reason we failed. Lack of quality in the final third was. 

His setpieces were shite, but if that captains armband were on Goldson (for example) it would make no difference. 

We need to find and invest in game changing quality in the next two windows. The squad is decent, but we need a real cutting edge in the forward area. 

1 hour ago, lee-irvine said:

This. Be as well making Halliday captain, at least it would mean something to him. Not once seen Tav give anyone a cunting.

He 's neither vociferous nor leading by example. AND he's got the socks up over the knees. It'll be the tights in a couple of weeks ' time. Captain my arse.

1 hour ago, plumbGER said:

*Yawn* Gerrard has chosen Tav to be the captain so his decision is made and we need to deal with it.

You don't have to wear an armband to be a leader on the park.

True but as much as you can have leaders without armbands on the pitch, you shouldn't have someone who clearly isn't a leader wearing it.