The club requires a captain in the traditional mould.

backup

If you need an arm band to be a leader then you are not a leader. Nor does one need to shout and scream to be a leader - we have issues such as squad depth to deal with long before we need to worry about tav as captain 

7 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

True but as much as you can have leaders without armbands on the pitch, you shouldn't have someone who clearly isn't a leader wearing it.

Who knows why Gerrard gave him it, he must know something we don't.

1 hour ago, plumbGER said:

*Yawn* Gerrard has chosen Tav to be the captain so his decision is made and we need to deal with it.

You don't have to wear an armband to be a leader on the park.

This. I hate when keepers get the armband, they can't control the team from the back but i love the fact McGregor goes mental at players when they fuck up defending. There's no reasons others can't be doing the same all over the pitch. 

5 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

This. I hate when keepers get the armband, they can't control the team from the back but i love the fact McGregor goes mental at players when they fuck up defending. There's no reasons others can't be doing the same all over the pitch. 

You have Jack trying to organise things from what I've seen but he shouldn't be a regular starter imo.

We need leaders all over the park who can carry the team through battles and lead them, sadly we don't have them.

23 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Who knows why Gerrard gave him it, he must know something we don't.

I get the feeling the length of time he's been at the club has played a part and he seems to be well liked as well.

Unfortunately neither of those things really matter when it comes to being a captain. Well IMO they don't anyway.

1 minute ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

I get the feeling the length of time he's been at the club has played a part and he seems to be well liked as well.

Unfortunately neither of those things really matter when it comes to being a captain. Well IMO they don't anyway.

I can agree with that completely, you want your captain to be a hardy bastard who can organise the team and take no shite. Be the managers man on the pitch so to speak.

8 minutes ago, BlueAvenger said:

We need investment and better standard of players. 

I really don’t agree. We need the players we have to play consistently well in every game. We’ve spent more than enough, the players we have are unbeaten in Europe against far better teams than Aberdeen and Livingston. Hibs give us hell every time with a fraction of our budget.

Our problem is, and has been for years, mentality. 

2 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

I can agree with that completely, you want your captain to be a hardy bastard who can organise the team and take no shite. Be the managers man on the pitch so to speak.

Exactly. The rest of the team don't need to like him, just respect him.

The whole romance of a captain in the traditional way is long gone and means very little in this day and age.

Players shouldnt need an armband to be leaders on the pitch. 

Captancity isnt the problem, as someone previously said its better creativity and productivity in the final third.

13 minutes ago, bluchoo said:

The whole romance of a captain in the traditional way is long gone and means very little in this day and age.

Players shouldnt need an armband to be leaders on the pitch. 

Captancity isnt the problem, as someone previously said its better creativity and productivity in the final third.

Back in the day we had 11 leaders on the pitch, which is a point in the OP.

3 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Despite the history with McGregor he is the one man in the squad that has the right character and passion to be a Rangers captain. If there was someone like him outfield then we'd have a great captain imo

4 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Tav is a decent player and leader but until he delivers on the big stage meaning semis and finals, he will always be up for criticism. His distribution yesterday was awful.

Tav can't even deliver a decent ball into the box never mind deliver a performance in semis or finals.

In my lifetime the Rangers captains have either been players who, when the chips were down and the game wasnt going our way, would be able to rally the team, coax a performance out of the gifted players by either a quiet word in their ear or a fucking bollocking (think gough) , or else the captain was someone who could themselves grab the game by the scruff of the neck and change it to our favour (thing ferguson) 

Tav is neither, players maybe look up to him at the club, he maybe the most liked player, but during 90mins like sunday tav is neither captain that we need, he can't coax the likes of ejaria, kent etc to give that extra 10% and he can't change the game on his own