The managers baffling decisions

Ivybank

As the title suggests 

aberdeen (a) couple of mins to go we have 10 men , their punting high balls in the box big Sadiq is sitting on the bench,could he not have thrown him on in defence to see the game out? ( not saying in hindsight ,was at the game and said this)

motherwell (a) 3 2 up 30 secs to go he brings on Lee Wallace when they have a corner why? Also experimented with3 at the back for some unknown reason .

scum (a) played Lafferty and Morelos together , doesn't work

livi (a) played Lafferty and Morelos together ,doesn't work, left Kent and Middleton on the bench ,drafted worrell in out of the blue

that and his substitutions which usually involve bringing of one of our best players off for a lesser one, or when it's too late to do anything ( like Middleton against Spartak in 84 mins what was that all about? Give them time to at least get into the game)

He's made mistakes, but it's not a baffling desicion, not to bring sadiq on in defence away to Aberdeen. 

Also at the time I think playing lafferty with morelos away to the scum was the right call. It didn't pay off but hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

Agree on the other points. Lafferty and morelos away again after proving it didn't work. Wallace on in  the last minute defending a corner, and some of his sub timings have been off. 

I can't agree with saying we're bringing on lesser players for better one, if we have better players on the bench he would be getting crucified for playing the lesser ones 

4 minutes ago, hooooootchy said:

He's made mistakes, but it's not a baffling desicion, not to bring sadiq on in defence away to Aberdeen. 

Also at the time I think playing lafferty with morelos away to the scum was the right call. It didn't pay off but hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

Agree on the other points. Lafferty and morelos away again after proving it didn't work. Wallace on in  the last minute defending a corner, and some of his sub timings have been off. 

I can't agree with saying we're bringing on lesser players for better one, if we have better players on the bench he would be getting crucified for playing the lesser ones 

What I meant was he seems to bring off players who are playing well,instead of ones who are poor/ average

as for the Aberdeen game, we had 10 men and he didn't use all the subs, everyone around me at the time was screaming for a sub as the players were knackered 

23 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

aberdeen (a) couple of mins to go we have 10 men , their punting high balls in the box big Sadiq is sitting on the bench,could he not have thrown him on in defence to see the game out? ( not saying in hindsight ,was at the game and said this)

He had an open goal at the weekend and chose to fall over rather than score. You think he’d have been getting stuck in at the back? Ridiculous suggestion.

24 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

motherwell (a) 3 2 up 30 secs to go he brings on Lee Wallace when they have a corner why? Also experimented with3 at the back for some unknown reason .

He’d obviously already decided he wanted to give him a run out before they got the corner, and didn’t want to tell him to sit back down. He should have, though. Awful decision.

25 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

Plenty of us were screaming for it before the game. It’s only since that game that it was obvious it doesn’t work, but I can’t blemr him too much for trying it.

27 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

livi (a) played Lafferty and Morelos together ,doesn't work, left Kent and Middleton on the bench ,drafted worrell in out of the blue

Agreed. All of this was very strange.

27 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

that and his substitutions which usually involve bringing of one of our best players off for a lesser one, or when it's too late to do anything ( like Middleton against Spartak in 84 mins what was that all about? Give them time to at least get into the game)

This is far and away his major issue. Always too late, nearly always wrong. I’m amazed the people around him, particularly Gary Mc, are allowing this to continue. He’s built a big squad at some expense, yet only wants to use 11 of them per match. It’s bizarre, and will cost him his job if he doesn’t get to grips with it.

44 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

He done the same against hearts at home also made a change when facing a set piece that resulted them scoring from.

1 hour ago, Ivybank said:

As the title suggests 

If you want people to take your post seriously, I wouldn't be saying things like Gerrard not bringing Sadiq on as a defender is a 'baffling decision'.

1 hour ago, Ivybank said:

As the title suggests 

1. Not a mistake. In fact what your proposing is madness. We didn't lose a late goal because of a header, so why you think he would make any difference is bizarre

2. Surely this is the same reason as you suggest in no 1, to shore it up. Yes it was a mistake to sub at a corner, but I dont think it was a bizarre change.

3. Lafferty and Morelos didn't work your right, but if we'd lost and he hadn't played them both folk would be saying he was scared to play them together. Again far from bizarre.

4. Again not bizarre we'd played a lot of games, he tried to change it, it didn't work. 

5. Probably because he believes the players on the field can do a job.

None of these are bizarre imo

New manager with new players and very little friendly games to try them out pre -season, in fact some of them arrived once the competitive games had started. He probably played three at the back during training thought it looked ok so gave it a go in a competitive game. He has only done it once that I can think of and with thirty seconds to go we were winning. One of the biggest complaints from the weekend was the lack of a plan B. Perhaps three at the back was an attempt at having a plan B.

Morelos and Lafferty was always going to be an option and I think many more experienced managers would of given it a go.

14 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Also, Lafferty played on the left or in a front two for hearts loads, so i can see why Gerrard tried him there, even if it didn't work.

And pretty much everyone was saying Lafferty was a stick on to score against them. If he had played Lafferty instead of Morelos it would have ended up on OP's list anyway.

26 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

5. Probably because he believes the players on the field can do a job.

Every manager in every game of football ever believes his starting 11 can do a job, that’s why he picks them. That doesn’t mean you don’t replace them when they’re tired or playing badly, or when a change of tactics is needed. Particularly when the players on the bench will often have started the last game, or will be starting the next one.

His policy on substitutions is beyond bizarre, it’s inexplicable.

1 hour ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I don't get why our recent managers including Gerrard always seem to completely change things up for Old Firm games, seemingly out of the blue since it never ever seems to work 

It’s called having too much respect for your opponents and Gerrard has done it away from home against most teams we’ve played.

Rather than play the way that works for us we are too mindful of our opponents strengths rather than their weaknesses. Motherwell was a prime example we lowered ourselves to their level to combat the physicality.

Look If we can beat teams that come to Ibrox and make it a fortress again the next obvious step is to replicate that away from home. Is it the game plan or is it psychological with the players? I reckon a bit of both.

2 hours ago, Ivybank said:

As the title suggests 

Aberdeen his biggest mistake was not bringing on McCrorie when Jack went off. 

Motherwell was a shambles, 3-5-2 for the first time away from home in a game that’s always a battle, then not changing it in the second half when it became one way traffic and shut the game down. 

Again a high risk decision away to your biggest rivals. 

Wrong team and never tried to change it. 

As others have said his subs seem reactive rather than proactive, I honestly think he is getting a touch of fear and would rather see out a draw than change it and go for the win. 

Still want him as our manager but he needs to get his finger out.