The managers baffling decisions

Ivybank

46 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I have high expectations that will only be realised through time - retrospective whinging and moaning about individual games and disguising it as some sort of ‘standard’ is one of the things holding back our club. Threads that provide negativity without the context of the journey are just counter productive in my view, especially ones that try to be Monday morning managers. 

It’s not ‘Monday morning managers’ when most of the support can see what’s going wrong during the match, itself. Then see the manager doing nothing about it.

11 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Quite a nonsense thread 

what had Sadiq done to warrant any faith - Especially by the dons game? 

Whats wrong with bringing in leee Wallace? Ffs!

lafferty and Morelas have done ok together - it’s jyst nonsense to say it doesn’t work. 

Worrel has not looked out of place.

basically this is just a thread of hindsight manager about the games we lost / dropped points in and yet even with. Hindsight you make poor points. 

That's what forums are about opinions.

9 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Positives - we were in a semi final ( but lost) to a single set piece in a game we dominated - on a different day we win - but it’s about what we do and the journey we are on. 

this thread ONLY looks at negatives and even then is only second guessing what could have been AND only with hindsight - always easier with hindsight! 

Losing a semi final we dominated is a positive? 

Nah not at Rangers it’s not. 

For someone who claims to have followed Rangers for more than 30 years your lack of understanding our clubs standards, traditions and history is frightening. 

9 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Positives - we were in a semi final ( but lost) to a single set piece in a game we dominated - on a different day we win - but it’s about what we do and the journey we are on. 

this thread ONLY looks at negatives and even then is only second guessing what could have been AND only with hindsight - always easier with hindsight! 

It's a sad indictment of where we are if any of our fans find getting to a semi final a positive.

SG has lost the luxury of being a rookie, at The Rangers excuses are for others...or at least used to be. He has to up his man management skills and do what has to be done.

He could start by making brenda the pupil and not his master, also lay down the law to the board , no more loan players you build nothing with loans, I pick who I would like and you attempt to buy them.   

20 hours ago, Ivybank said:

As the title suggests 

aberdeen (a) couple of mins to go we have 10 men , their punting high balls in the box big Sadiq is sitting on the bench,could he not have thrown him on in defence to see the game out? ( not saying in hindsight ,was at the game and said this)

motherwell (a) 3 2 up 30 secs to go he brings on Lee Wallace when they have a corner why? Also experimented with3 at the back for some unknown reason .

scum (a) played Lafferty and Morelos together , doesn't work

livi (a) played Lafferty and Morelos together ,doesn't work, left Kent and Middleton on the bench ,drafted worrell in out of the blue

that and his substitutions which usually involve bringing of one of our best players off for a lesser one, or when it's too late to do anything ( like Middleton against Spartak in 84 mins what was that all about? Give them time to at least get into the game)

As baffling decisions go, throwing Sadiq on in defence would have been right up there with the best of them!

Agree bringing Wallace on at a corner was a strange one, I can't remember in detail now...was he waiting to come on for a while and that was first stoppage? This was early in his tenure so the "experimenting" with 3 at the back was just that...he was probably still getting a feel for the players and what systems/combinations worked best.

I imagine he went with Lafferty due to his experience of the fixture against celtic so can understand that logic...had they played together before that; if not saying "doesn't work" is a hindsight call, rather than a baffling decision at the time. But agree the warning signs regarding that pairing were surely known ahead of Livi. He has appeared to chop/change Worrell & Katic randomly at times...but we don't know what he is seeing in training so am not sure could call that baffling. Both have played well at times and looked shaky at other times.

Agree, the subs does appear to be a more reactive than proactive thing for him. Not sure I would call that baffling, but maybe more a sign of a manager that errs on side of caution.

25 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Papers already implying with headlines of Gerrard saying he will lose his job with results like that 

Not seen SG say that once 

This is designed to throw in elements of doubt into many of bears heads

This article you mean.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3422431/steven-gerrard-Rangers-setbacks-aberdeen-semi-final-brutal-assessment/

'CUT-THROAT' 

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard admits he could be SACKED if they keep suffering setbacks like Aberdeen semi-final

The Light Blues gaffer revealed he watched the game back the same evening after returning home as he delivered brutal assessment of managing a big club

Gerrard said: “This business is cut-throat. It is brutal. If we keep suffering setbacks and results like that, then I’m not going to be here.

“You have to be blunt. That is the way it is. Don’t sign up for it, don’t come here if you are not  prepared to cope with that responsibility and pressure.”

Gerrard hasn’t suffered many setbacks since joining Rangers in the summer.

However, Sunday’s 1-0 defeat to the Dons was undoubtedly a crushing blow.

It’s seven years since the Ibrox club last lifted major  silverware and the Gers gaffer is in no doubt long-suffering fans deserve better.

Asked what he did on his return home on Sunday, Gerrard revealed: “I had a little look in the mirror.

48 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Curious .Do you ?

Not seen enough of him to judge him early days yet but he has to really improve in the SPL his record in the Spl is no better than Pedro's but that's been largely ignored as he's done so well in the European games.

3 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Papers already implying with headlines of Gerrard saying he will lose his job with results like that 

Not seen SG say that once 

This is designed to throw in elements of doubt into many of bears heads

"The business I am in, it is cut-throat, it is brutal,” said Gerrard.

“If we keep suffering setbacks and results like that moving forward, I am not going to be here.

“You have to be blunt. It is cut-throat - that is the way it is.

“Don't sign up for it, don't come here if you are not prepared to cope with that responsibility and pressure. You shouldn't be here.”

Just now, Smile said:

Not seen enough of him to judge him early days yet but he has to really improve in the SPL his record in the Spl is no better than Pedro's but that's been largely ignored as he's done so well in the European games.

He has done so well?

We are unbeaten mate and top of a group we were desperate and unexpectedly to be in 

Can you even imagine that scenario last season 

Rangers have no divine right to win any game domestically 

It needs to improve but for the life of me .Some bears are hard to please 

54 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

He has done so well?

We are unbeaten mate and top of a group we were desperate and unexpectedly to be in 

Can you even imagine that scenario last season 

Rangers have no divine right to win any game domestically 

It needs to improve but for the life of me .Some bears are hard to please 

We do not but I would have still preferred and experienced manager over a manager learning on the job, but I can see why it was a good commercial fit for the board.

1 hour ago, backup said:

"The business I am in, it is cut-throat, it is brutal,” said Gerrard.

“If we keep suffering setbacks and results like that moving forward, I am not going to be here.

“You have to be blunt. It is cut-throat - that is the way it is.

“Don't sign up for it, don't come here if you are not prepared to cope with that responsibility and pressure. You shouldn't be here.”

That does sound a little sanctimonious 

Still love him and can't see it changing 

9 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

That does sound a little sanctimonious 

Still love him and can't see it changing 

I like his honesty, I believe he would walk if he didn't believe he could be a success at Ibrox, if it wasn't working how he expected it to.. 

9 hours ago, left winger said:

It’s not ‘Monday morning managers’ when most of the support can see what’s going wrong during the match, itself. Then see the manager doing nothing about it.

... of course it is - And it lacks balance when they never ever mention anything right - perhaps if ‘supporters’ Are so good we should have a running decision poll! 

53 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

... of course it is - And it lacks balance when they never ever mention anything right - perhaps if ‘supporters’ Are so good we should have a running decision poll! 

Well, yeah some are permanently negative, possibly the mirror image of yourself.

Regarding a running decision poll - I know I’d be shite, but we’d be better at corners if I was in charge - they’d be told to stay and practise until they were good at them!