Why are people expecting things to click after just 5 months?

RFCRobertson

You know what we just aren’t doing any more? Closing players down and disposessing them. Early in the season we were fucking fantastic at it, wouldn’t give teams the time of day. Now we are standing off them and allowing them to counter attack us. The goals against Aberdeen and last night would not have happened had we not allowed them that space.

I agree to some extent, but we've actually regressed in terms of performances. 

Players aren't kicking on, it seems like the honeymoon period is over and as per the last few years the reality kicks in that the expectations are high and the majority cannot handle it.

Hopefully SG gets some consistency soon otherwise we're going to be miles off the pace come Jan and 3rd place will be the highlight of this campaign.

1 hour ago, Prso's headband said:

Hearts literally signed a whole squad, have played every team in the league and sit top. 

We should be clicking a lot more than we should have to the tune of at least another 6 points and it isn’t happening. 

Not to mention the injuries to their 2 first team CBs, their 2 best strikers and selling their top scorer last season to us. But aye we shouldn’t be expecting to be above 4th because our team is too new...

1 hour ago, RFCRobertson said:

Critism is always a valid thing when it is good and well thought out however some of the comments people on here and social media are making are straight up ludicrous and are in need of a reality check. 

We’re 5 months into Gerrad being our manager and he’s brought up good success in europe and he’s made Ibrox a fortress. It is pish we aren’t further up the table or in the league cup final but that’s to be expected of a fairly fresh team with a manager learning the ropes of the game.

Already we have people accusing it of being another Warburton and Pedro era. But the thing is is like or dislike it we need to grind out poor results and standings, else we’ll find ourselves in a terrible situation where we’re bringing a new manager in every season and that does set back progress.

We need to squash the negativity for now and just get behind the team and the manager. People criticised Gerrad for making late changes or the wrong changes, well last might that didn’t appear to be the case. The only thing wrong last night was creativity and our final ball, things that can and will be adressed with another transfer window. 

This shit takes time, Look across the city. Rodgers didn’t buy the majority of his players a lot of them are still Deila players but the thing is is he’s had a basis to build on. That’s what we’re doing right now and truthfully it’s looking good, we have fewer passengers and our bench is looking decent.

Keep the head and back the Manager. He needs time and support above all else. I was appalled by the crowd last night, much more effort put into negativity rather than singing and getting behind the squad. Opposition come to Ibrox and will play on that mentality as it actively hurts the team. 

TL:DR Stop being moaning cunts, keep the head and back the gaffer. We’re not going to be greats in 5 months alone so stop expecting it to be that way. Should shit still be shit this time next year after two windows then yeah it’s poor and very serious questions need asked.

I get as frustrated as the next man, but what frustrates me more than anything is the average ability of too many of our players.  Thats not something that any amount of time is going correct.  Tav/Flanagan running with the ball, under no pressure, but still fucking up a simple pass, time and time again.  Thats just lack of ability.  Having nearly 20 chances in a game to at least get the ball on target, and not able to do it, thats lack of ability.  Not being able to cross the ball to a standard that allows those on the end of it to score, crossing too long often, not getting your crosses past the first man, thats all lack of ability.  Not having the ability to shoot from just outside the box when it presents itself.  I could go on.  

1 hour ago, Valance1690 said:

If we were going to sit and accept some poor results while rebuilding a team we shouldn't have given the job to a rookie manager, simple as that.

We can be patient if it looks like the manager has a clue or you've seen what he's done at previous clubs, in Gerrards case he has neither right now & he has to turn it around very quickly or the calls for him to go are completley fair.

As it stands, I wouldn't be trusting him with any more money in Janruary 

:wow:

1 hour ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

I expect us to beat Killie at home as a minimum. If that’s a struggle then it’s going to be a long long season ahead.

So did I, but tbf, before last night when celtic overtook them, Killie had taken the most points in the Scottish Prem in this calendar year. Clarke is doing a ridiculously good job there.

33 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I agree to some extent, but we've actually regressed in terms of performances. 

Players aren't kicking on, it seems like the honeymoon period is over and as per the last few years the reality kicks in that the expectations are high and the majority cannot handle it.

Hopefully SG gets some consistency soon otherwise we're going to be miles off the pace come Jan and 3rd place will be the highlight of this campaign.

Defo agree with the highlighted parts

Quality is needed to be added ASAP we need a creative midfielder that can provide the moment of magic or spark that's needed to break down the defense. Our passing last night was side to side and was sore to watch at times.

I would still love to see 352 with 3 center halfs at the back and Tav and Baric bombing up and down the wings. I still think that was in SG plans but as it failed at Motherwell he has been reluctant to use plus injuries have not helped.

With money we have made with the Euro run lets get out and spend the cash on that creative spark we have been missing.

1 hour ago, Valance1690 said:

If we were going to sit and accept some poor results while rebuilding a team we shouldn't have given the job to a rookie manager, simple as that.

We can be patient if it looks like the manager has a clue or you've seen what he's done at previous clubs, in Gerrards case he has neither right now & he has to turn it around very quickly or the calls for him to go are completley fair.

As it stands, I wouldn't be trusting him with any more money in Janruary 

I agree entirely. With the players at our disposal, we should still be wiping the floor with the rest of the league. If Gerrard doesn’t have us in a realistic title fight come January he has to go. Can’t just keep signing tens of players ffs.

I hate reading never mind using the comparison but Rodgers improved a very shite celtic team with very little changes. 3 seasons ago If you’d told me Boyata would be at a World Cup and play, Callum McGregor would be lauded as one of the best CMs in the country, Forrest would have the scoring record he has id have called the loony bin.

This is the cock Gerrard chose himself he has to pish with it. If he can’t someone more experienced and qualified has to come in and do it.

He has a four year contract and I don't think it was in his remit to win the league in season one. We are 10 games into our domestic season, there's been some good (home league form and Europe) and some bad (away league form and Sunday). SG has the potential to be a great manager but has to be given time and space to learn and reach that potential. The reactions on here when we don't win are almost always nonsensical and devoid of realism. They are also overly extreme and not really reflective of the general attitude of the Rangers support.

2 minutes ago, Hutton2008 said:

I agree entirely. With the players at our disposal, we should still be wiping the floor with the rest of the league. If Gerrard doesn’t have us in a realistic title fight come January he has to go. Can’t just keep signing tens of players ffs.

I hate reading never mind using the comparison but Rodgers improved a very shite celtic team with very little changes. 3 seasons ago If you’d told me Boyata would be at a World Cup and play, Callum McGregor would be lauded as one of the best CMs in the country, Forrest would have the scoring record he has id have called the loony bin.

This is the cock Gerrard chose himself he has to pish with it. If he can’t someone more experienced and qualified has to come in and do it.

Exactly. 

He needs to show we can beat the dross in the league before we should be trusting him with anymore money, as it stands, we're in the same postion as last season after spending a hefty chunk on fees/wages. We should be beating the rest of the league, taigs excluded, no matter what.

Gerrards spent money on

Goldson

Barisic

Katic

Grezda

Murphy

Lafferty

Not 1 of those players has lit the place on fire since coming in so not sure why he would be trusted with more money with things as they are right now

I think its the same old case teams have sussed his type of play so they sit off us an wait on the break they know will come because he doesnt know how to break them down why dont we try their game for a change

3 minutes ago, GlasgowRangers1983 said:

Defo agree with the highlighted parts

Quality is needed to be added ASAP we need a creative midfielder that can provide the moment of magic or spark that's needed to break down the defense. Our passing last night was side to side and was sore to watch at times.

I would still love to see 352 with 3 center halfs at the back and Tav and Baric bombing up and down the wings. I still think that was in SG plans but as it failed at Motherwell he has been reluctant to use plus injuries have not helped.

With money we have made with the Euro run lets get out and spend the cash on that creative spark we have been missing.

Are you for real? 

Approx: €800,000 for qualifiers

€2.92m for group stage participation 

€570,000 per group stage win

€190,000 per draw

So Maximum we will make is €6.44m before Christmas. We just posted a £14.3m loss and still have SD to battle with. 

Fairly certain there be no huge dealings in January. If there is I’d be expecting Tav or Morelos to go.

Like most I was excited at the prospect of Gerrard and hoped for a re run of the Souness years but I also said at the time I’d wait until December before I went overboard.

So far the excitement meter isn’t very high.

Forget Europe, that’s a distraction, it’s the league and home trophies that matter.

I’ll still back him till the new year to see if he can sort it out though.

12 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Exactly. 

He needs to show we can beat the dross in the league before we should be trusting him with anymore money, as it stands, we're in the same postion as last season after spending a hefty chunk on fees/wages. We should be beating the rest of the league, taigs excluded, no matter what.

Gerrards spent money on

Goldson

Barisic

Katic

Grezda

Murphy

Lafferty

Not 1 of those players has lit the place on fire since coming in so not sure why he would be trusted with more money with things as they are right now

Our side should do that handily. That’s all that’s required for a title challenge.

The idea of just throwing money at it is absurd. I truly believe with a quality, proven manager we’d be top right now. 

12 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Exactly. 

Gerrards spent money on

Goldson (Excellent Signing)

Barisic (played 3 times and had injury, too early to say other wise)

Katic (looks a decent signing but for some reason has lost his place for 1.5M I would say this is a good signing)

Grezda (bought injured, not match fit too early to say)

Murphy (not bought by SG)

Lafferty (started well and offers up something different to Alfredo, if its was 750K spent I would say money well spend)

18 minutes ago, don logan said:

He has a four year contract and I don't think it was in his remit to win the league in season one. We are 10 games into our domestic season, there's been some good (home league form and Europe) and some bad (away league form and Sunday). SG has the potential to be a great manager but has to be given time and space to learn and reach that potential. The reactions on here when we don't win are almost always nonsensical and devoid of realism. They are also overly extreme and not really reflective of the general attitude of the Rangers support.

Sadly Rangers are not a training project, nor is not challenging for the title acceptable in any circumstance - even more so when you spend large sums of money on a squad overhaul.

its a must we are in a title fight come January. The masses just won’t accept less.

6 minutes ago, Hutton2008 said:

Are you for real? 

Approx: €800,000 for qualifiers

€2.92m for group stage participation 

€570,000 per group stage win

€190,000 per draw

So Maximum we will make is €6.44m before Christmas. We just posted a £14.3m loss and still have SD to battle with. 

Fairly certain there be no huge dealings in January. If there is I’d be expecting Tav or Morelos to go.

Wow almost 6.5 Million made to date been a long time since we have had made anything like that.

I have not read about the 14.3 loss if that's the case then likely no money will be spent.

Loan market would do if there was such a player availed that would give some much added spark.

4 minutes ago, Hutton2008 said:

Our side should do that handily. That’s all that’s required for a title challenge.

The idea of just throwing money at it is absurd. I truly believe with a quality, proven manager we’d be top right now. 

Believe a proven manager would have us higher up the table, not even asking for us to be top after 5 months because we needed a full overhaul & realistically we are well behind the taigs

What we can't have is a guy with no experience spending a small fortune in his first job then leaving because it proves too much for him, so far it's looking that way but he deserves until the end of the year to try and turn it around with what he's brought in so far. 

If we're not 2nd at least in the league come the turn of the year & are still playing the way we are, we can't be giving him another 4/5 million to spend

2 hours ago, Paulbrian11 said:

The Rangers support has no patience, never has and never will. If Gerrard doesn’t start getting results soon then more will turn against him.  

On the face of it it’s ludicrous to expect a rookie manager to come in and sort all our problems in one transfer window but it’s the way it is.  Expecting anything else is pissing into the wind.

It’s even more ludicrous that a club of our magnitude HAS a rookie manager.

PS This is NOT a criticism of SG!