European Super League - Old Firm opportunity?

Shuggy

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

That league structure, or similar, is inevitable now. It's about making money for various parties. Nothing else.  It's about making money for owners, TV companies and no doubt some in the know officials that'll be involved in facilitating it under the table. Competitiveness, sporting value, heritage, local attachment, fans and history don't matter.

How the other clubs and leagues left over end up looking is hard to say. Will it be like the NHL with minor leagues below? Probably something like it. I think the national leagues will still keep a local importance and be valued in their own right, whilst the European League will be basically a glitzy, globally relevant league of franchises with fans from all over the shop.

It's sad, because football is better as a locally distinct sport.

great post

On 05/11/2018 at 17:12, Inigo said:

That league structure, or similar, is inevitable now. It's about making money for various parties. Nothing else.  It's about making money for owners, TV companies and no doubt some in the know officials that'll be involved in facilitating it under the table. Competitiveness, sporting value, heritage, local attachment, fans and history don't matter.

How the other clubs and leagues left over end up looking is hard to say. Will it be like the NHL with minor leagues below? Probably something like it. I think the national leagues will still keep a local importance and be valued in their own right, whilst the European League will be basically a glitzy, globally relevant league of franchises with fans from all over the shop.

Good post mate. Summed it up perfectly........ money has/is ruining football.

23 hours ago, TopCat said:

What makes you think that mate?

If they make as much money as they claim from this euro super league, their second string teams would probably still challenge for the EPL. Good for them as it keeps their second choices busy. I am not saying it would happen, but that these exiting teams would try and put it on the negotiating table.

On 5/11/2018 at 17:12, Inigo said:

The sad thing is UEFA should be trying to grow football in Europe by having as many big leagues and big clubs as possible but instead of that they seem determined to cut the numbers which will ultimately make the product more bland and predictable 

On 08/11/2018 at 10:17, pollok-bear said:

I strongly disagree mate they should be kicked out of football altogether. 

I used to be a bit concerned that we were defined by games v them.

Especially now we’ve gone over 30 years without anybody else taking the league apart from them & us.

The years out of the top flight proved that they didn’t matter & my life, specifically, was better without the extreme highs & lows that playing them produced.

Must stop them getting 10 - beyond that I wouldn’t care if I never saw them again in my life.