1955 and Now

Callum_Doon

36 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The move away from religion for many plays a big part in it. People don't care about religious fraternities when they don't practice any religious beliefs. The last Census had more people identify as non religious than belonging to any sect of Christianity. The kirk dropped 10% in a decade alone.

That reminds me . Shettleston Church made into flats I see . Like many many others over the last decade  

They do not have a problem letting churches die in the rhancid Country . Whereas look at Cardonald up to Paisley .

The whole papish part of the area is getting an upgrade if you are a chapel in Cardonald , The convent  hidden beside the school there .Fuck knows where the money is found for these places . Yet we can't even get the postholes filled in near our fucking ground . Or Paisley chapel where thousands was spent on upgrading that building . This when Paisley is like a war zone .

44 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

What happened with that again mate 

Remind me .I was only half interested in that at the time 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/news/scottish-news/mystery-calls-between-david-goodwillies-10515048.amp

Lord Advocate Francis Mullholland, Paul O'Brian QC, Liam O'Donell solicitor, i believe these were the people involved but of course, I could be mistaken.  

Goodwillie apparently sacked his agent and was then represented (in a football capacity) by Liam O'Donnell who also happened to be his solicitor. It was "alleged" that Goodwillie was given free legal services, in return for O'Donnell becoming his agent. 

The Lord Advocate decided not to prosecute leaving Goodwillie free to sign for Blackburn, good news for his agent...

^

All speculation of course and I am merely repeating what I have read online. 

I personally am not commenting on whether or not these claims are true. In fact, it all sounds slightly suspicious and if I was to hazard a guess, I'd say anyone holding the positions I mentioned above, would be way above taking part in anything untoward. 

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

2.5million heard Billy Graham speak at various events across Scotland in 1955. As of 2011 that would account for every Kirk Protestant and RC in the country.

Bloody amazing thinking about that

And there lies the answer to a massive part of the OPs question . Attitudes have absolutely changed

5 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

This Country and certainly Glasgow belonged to our people 

The immigrants slowly and cleverly using political manoeuvring originally  .They stood up for all the injustices they perceived as one and slowly  gained control  of all the decision making institutions .Especially Centrally where they practically impregnable now  in our lifetimes 

Many of them in my younger days studied law and you see the fruits of that nowadays.

I reckon there must be 9/10 lawyers are beggars 

They placed their favourable people in positions of power, wherever that mattered

The media latterly is now full of the scumbags with agenda for their beloved ones  and against the Rangers 

The police used to be 80/% us in my younger days .

Now I reckon it can't be far off 50/50 with storm troopers with high positions probably 75/25 shifting towards their own  .

and it’s very evident that the whole place has went downhill 

3 minutes ago, gsa said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/news/scottish-news/mystery-calls-between-david-goodwillies-10515048.amp

Lord Advocate Francis Mullholland, Paul O'Brian QC, Liam O'Donell solicitor, i believe these were the people involved but of course, I could be mistaken.  

Goodwillie apparently sacked his agent and was then represented (in a football capacity) by Liam O'Donnell who also happened to be his solicitor. It was "alleged" that Goodwillie was given free legal services, in return for O'Donnell becoming his agent. 

The Lord Advocate decided not to prosecute leaving Goodwillie free to sign for Blackburn, good news for his agent...

^

All speculation of course and I am merely repeating what I have read online. 

I personally am not commenting on whether or not these claims are true. In fact, it all sounds slightly suspicious and if I was to hazard a guess, I'd say anyone holding the positions I mentioned above, would be way above taking part in anything untoward. 

I will give you that one . I think everything in this Country is corrupt so I'm in . However I'm glad we never signed him

For his sake alone . His life would have been over . I think he has a quiet life now . So good decision for him . Corruption at hand or not

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

Bloody amazing thinking about that

And there lies the answer to a massive part of the OPs question . Attitudes have absolutely changed

Listen if there was a Billy Graham figurehead about nowadays there would still be millions who would turn up to listen to him or her, at this moment in time Christians or at least lapsed brought up Christians need something or somebody to believe in because right now there is nobody, it's a Billy Boy we need to lead the charge out of apathy.

1 minute ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

Listen if there was a Billy Graham figurehead about nowadays there would still be millions who would turn up to listen to him or her, at this moment in time Christians or at least lapsed brought up Christians need something or somebody to believe in because right now there is nobody, it's a Billy Boy we need to lead the charge out of apathy.

His grandson is doing the same schtick. Struggled to attract more than a few hundred people in Falkirk over two days earlier this year.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

His grandson is doing the same schtick. Struggled to attract more than a few hundred people in Falkirk over two days earlier this year.

His marketing isnae too clever then, Falkirk centre of the universe. There's alway a market for religion in whatever form, too lucrative.

Glasgow is fucked now, never seen so many tims in management positions , both in my industry and in local government.  In my place not one of them is fit to be in their position, and I say this as someone who used to be a middle of the road easy going guy.  They are total , out of their depth arseholes, and I'm hopeful that in another year I can retire and get out of this fucked up city.

Just now, BLUEDIGNITY said:

His marketing isnae too clever then, Falkirk centre of the universe. There's alway a market for religion in whatever form, too lucrative.

The whole area was plastered in advertising. Almost every church locally had banners up advertising his events and local papers had ads too. People just don't really have much interest in religion anymore. In 2011 34% of Scots identified as CoS.

It might not be centre of the universe but it's pretty close to the centre of the country and still nobody was particularly interested. It's only lucrative if you've got people willing to put their hand in their pockets.

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The whole area was plastered in advertising. Almost every church locally had banners up advertising his events and local papers had ads too. People just don't really have much interest in religion anymore. In 2011 34% of Scots identified as CoS.

It might not be centre of the universe but it's pretty close to the centre of the country and still nobody was particularly interested. It's only lucrative if you've got people willing to put their hand in their pockets.

Religion will never go away, in fact the next war will only awaken it again, always does. That's how Jesus never did the resurrection gig in Falkirk, poor crowd. 

Religion will never go away, in fact the next war will only awaken it again, always does. That's how Jesus never did the resurrection gig in Falkirk, poor crowd. 

It will never go away completely but it will become largely irrelevant to people. That more people in Scotland identify as non-religious than any particular sect of Christianity speaks volumes. I wouldn't be surprised if come the next census non-religious comfortably outnumber all the Christian sects in Scotland combined.

22 minutes ago, Grundy said:

Glasgow is fucked now, never seen so many tims in management positions , both in my industry and in local government.  In my place not one of them is fit to be in their position, and I say this as someone who used to be a middle of the road easy going guy.  They are total , out of their depth arseholes, and I'm hopeful that in another year I can retire and get out of this fucked up city.

They've got the place fucked but that's why they are put there to rape and pillage, they don't give a fuck if they leave it razed to the ground they have no history with it, they move on to the next plunder.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It will never go away completely but it will become largely irrelevant to people. That more people in Scotland identify as non-religious than any particular sect of Christianity speaks volumes. I wouldn't be surprised if come the next census non-religious comfortably outnumber all the Christian sects in Scotland combined.

It'll be largely irrelevant to non Christians but we'll have holy war here before that. Christ we are fair off topic here now eh. 

It'll be largely irrelevant to non Christians but we'll have holy war here before that. Christ we are fair off topic here now eh. 

No we won't. There's more chance of a Protestant being made pope than there is of 'holy war' in Britain.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

No we won't. There's more chance of a Protestant being made pope than there is of 'holy war' in Britain.

Another dense comment from the gutter press's most enthusiastic cheerleader. 

A Protestant being made pope, is not possible. A holy war, while highly unlikely, is possible. 

2 minutes ago, gsa said:

Another dense comment from the gutter press's most enthusiastic cheerleader. 

A Protestant being made pope, is not possible. A holy war, while highly unlikely, is possible. 

I bet you're the kind of person who, when someone says "aye and pigs might fly" you respond with "well they can't they don't have wings or viable method of propulsion."

1 hour ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

I think people nowadays have seen through people like Billy Graham.

29 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

iYes we will. Incidently as you are a falkirk bairn apparently, does that gordon waddell come from falkirk?

I'm not a 'Falkirk bairn' I live in a town about halfway between Falkirk & Stirling. Waddell's from Falkirk. He doesn't like me for some reason.

10 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

I think people nowadays have seen through people like Billy Graham.

There's still plenty like him going about in the States with their followers, funny though that not many see through the pope or islamic leaders though eh, they've still got millions of gilberts.

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm not a 'Falkirk bairn' I live in a town about halfway between Falkirk & Stirling. Waddell's from Falkirk. He doesn't like me for some reason.

Yeah I thought he was from there, in fact I knew, I remember that used to be a comfortably strong Protestant area, Masonic and Orange, but like everywhere else I suppose it's folded to sects of the darkside.