1955 and Now

Callum_Doon

2 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

Yeah I thought he was from there, in fact I knew, I remember that used to be a comfortably strong Protestant area, Masonic and Orange, but like everywhere else I suppose it's folded to sects of the darkside.

Tbh, I'm not aware of anywhere in the area where Catholic churches (or congregations)outnumber Protestant. If it's folded to anyone, it's those who have no interest in religion.

9 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

There's still plenty like him going about in the States with their followers, funny though that not many see through the pope or islamic leaders though eh, they've still got millions of gilberts.

There will always be a market in the States for rich American preachers. I’ve got family in a small town in California and the biggest building in the town is some evangelical church - every time I go over the church has been knocked down and a bigger one built in its place, funded by the congregation. But after all, Californians voted Arnold Schwarzenegger in as their governor.

Re the pope or Islamic leaders, these guys are top of a hierarchy and rule by fear. We can see through them but we’re not ruled by fear like their followers.

2 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

There will always be a market in the States for rich American preachers. I’ve got family in a small town in California and the biggest building in the town is some evangelical church - every time I go over the church has been knocked down and a bigger one built in its place, funded by the congregation. But after all, Californians voted Arnold Schwarzenegger in as their governor.

Re the pope or Islamic leaders, these guys are top of a hierarchy and rule by fear. We can see through them but we’re not ruled by fear like their followers.

That's why there will always be religion and wars.

26 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

?

The sad thing about that mate .... if it weren't so serious .... is all fighting armies believe that they have God on their side .... which makes me believe that God could quite possibly be a woman ... empty house theory comes to mind ..... :p:

:UK:

Really thought provoking comments...

Seems like maybe some of us are comfortable with that snapshot in time, being a fundamental part of our Club's history and last thing we need to be is timidly (sic) acceptant that it's some kind of...

{Insert your own word here...}

Perhaps, having just come across this, thought it was a largely unknown/unappreciated moment we should now realise with pride.

2018118_15745449.jpg

5 hours ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

When was the last religious war ? Let’s not claim Al Qaeda or Islamic State because that is neither war nor truely religious 

Any war since the industrial revolution has been about money and power. 

Many would argue all war ever has been about money and power. The protagonists just use the religious angle to recruit. 

Anyway. This is still the bears den right? 

UReligion is fucked. And people claiming to have no religion is on the rise. The penny is finally dropping that God doesn’t really exist 

11DD6FC6-66B8-495C-83E9-5C3F991201D9.thumb.png.e243de685aee84a9ebd8196c4a34930c.png

This is shown in society in many different ways ie church attendances are at an all time low, war is about power and money and not religion, non religious marriages and funerals have sharply increased in the last 10 years. Etc

when football clubs do community engagement now- it’s about visiting hospitals and what not and steering away from anything controversial- like religious affiliation 

10 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Religion is fucked. And people claiming to have no religion is on the rise. The penny is finally dropping that God doesn’t really exist 

Some might say they don't believe in heaven
Go and tell it to the man who lives in hell

56 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

UReligion is fucked. And people claiming to have no religion is on the rise. The penny is finally dropping that God doesn’t really exist 

11DD6FC6-66B8-495C-83E9-5C3F991201D9.thumb.png.e243de685aee84a9ebd8196c4a34930c.png

This is shown in society in many different ways ie church attendances are at an all time low, war is about power and money and not religion, non religious marriages and funerals have sharply increased in the last 10 years. Etc

when football clubs do community engagement now- it’s about visiting hospitals and what not and steering away from anything controversial- like religious affiliation 

It's wrong to think of religion as being mostly about a belief in God. I bet globally religion is on the rise, as the population is increasing and in places where religion is still strong. 

It's also wrong to think of war as purely about geopolitics. That's part of it of course. But even in the second gulf war for example, there was an ideological  belief that the Liberal democracy of the west could be transplanted into Iraq and surrounding states. And look where its taken us, a rise in Islamic extremism globally, and years of bloodshed in the regions where the war took place. 

Bears den? 

1 minute ago, Gman36 said:

It's wrong to think of religion as being mostly about a belief in God. I bet globally religion is on the rise, as the population is increasing and in places where religion is still strong. 

It's also wrong to think of war as purely about geopolitics. That's part of it of course. But even in the second gulf war for example, there was an ideological  belief that the Liberal democracy of the west could be transplanted into Iraq and surrounding states. And look where its taken us, a rise in Islamic extremism globally, and years of bloodshed in the regions where the war took place. 

Bears den? 

I was trying to make a tenuous link to the op ?

religion is about a belief in a “god” why is it not? Granted it’s not always a white guy with a goatee beard but it’s about a belief system ultimately headed up by a supreme being - whether that’s a monotheism belief or otherwise 

you are wrong about the gulf war btw. 

That was quite simply about oil, dressed up as something else. 

Bears den? It’s a slow day tbh