Gerarrds Fault

berkshirebear

Just now, Jeffrey said:

What variables?

We have played 12 games in Europe while Hearts have had a free run at the league.  They have been able to fully focus on the league and only had to play once a week for the most part.  We have been playing two games a week most of the time and had the distraction of European ties.

We have a new manager who is only months into a rebuild, who is still getting used to the league and how the football is played.  

If we are still five or more points behind them going into the January window, I might start to worry.

Just now, gogzy said:

We have played 12 games in Europe while Hearts have had a free run at the league.  They have been able to fully focus on the league and only had to play once a week for the most part.  We have been playing two games a week most of the time and had the distraction of European ties.

We have a new manager who is only months into a rebuild, who is still getting used to the league and how the football is played.  

If we are still five or more points behind them going into the January window, I might start to worry.

If you're a big club who wants to be successful Europe is going to be a factor, it's not an excuse for me.

The manager point is valid to an extent and your last line is a fair comment. Might be overreacting because I'm still fuming about that tonight but I don't have much confidence in this team/manager still being in a title race come January.

Just now, The Dude said:

We spent around the same as celtic are reported to have spent on one player.

For us to catch them it's going to require steady improvement gradually and to eventually get a squad together which can compete with them over 38 games. So we don't see shit results like we saw vs Kilmarnock, those teams get put to the sword but that's why I think it's going to take a long time. I think the scum will win 10 in a row unless we see much heavier investment. I don't see them getting to 12-13 titles though. I think eventually we will win it in the next 5-6 seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

If you're a big club who wants to be successful Europe is going to be a factor, it's not an excuse for me.

The manager point is valid to an extent and your last line is a fair comment. Might be overreacting because I'm still fuming about that tonight but I don't have much confidence in this team/manager still being in a title race come January.

did you expect to win the lg this year? 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

We spent around the same as celtic are reported to have spent on one player.

I thought we spent 9m and he cost 7m. Anyway if I've got that wrong whatever, as I said in relative terms we still spent a fortune.

2 minutes ago, keithgersbear said:

Hearts will finish 15-20 points behind celtic. Stop living in lalaland.

You're happy Rangers are 5 points behind Hearts and you're saying that to me ?

1 minute ago, johanhentze said:

You HAVE to take wages into the equation as well... what is our wage bill compared to "theirs"?  

Yes fair point but you need to take our wages into the equation when talking about the 5 point gap with us and Hearts

1 minute ago, keithgersbear said:

For us to catch them it's going to require steady improvement gradually and to eventually get a squad together which can compete with them over 38 games. So we don't see shit results like we saw vs Kilmarnock, those teams get put to the sword but that's why I think it's going to take a long time. I think the scum will win 10 in a row unless we see much heavier investment. I don't see them getting to 12-13 titles though. I think eventually we will win it in the next 5-6 seasons. 

tbh i expect a challenge next year, another few transfer windows. 

1 minute ago, Jeffrey said:

I don't think we can possibly win the league with this team. After watching the last half dozen games you would have to be mad to think we could.

I thought we spent 9m and he cost 7m. Anyway if I've got that wrong whatever, as I said in relative terms we still spent a fortune.

Yes fair point but you need to take our wages into the equation when talking about the 5 point gap with us and Hearts

in todays game, 9 million is fuck all on 14 players. 

Just now, MurrayWilson said:

I don't think we can possibly win the league with this team. After watching the last half dozen games you would have to be mad to think we could.

He signed 7 of the players who started tonight and gave another his debut. It's his team.

4 minutes ago, 35 Yard Dangerman said:

Not sure if serious or not.

Why? 2nd or 3rd is just about right for this squad. We aren't a brilliant team. We are an OK hard working side but that's about it. That's why teams like Aberdeen or Hearts can beat us in big domestic cup games, never mind taking a hiding off the scum every single time we play them. We don't even compete against them when we play them. It's so bad against them we practically start the season 12 points behind them.

22 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

The team that was on the park had scored 3 goals.

Then conceded another 2, whilst letting them run all over us and hit the post before deciding to make a change 20 minutes after going behind. 

It's been a constant issue with Gerrard, he simply doesn't know how to utilize his subs properly, or influence the game, and whenever he does make a sub its usually for the wrong player. 

How long before he learns from his mistakes? Because there will be no improvement until he does. I'm not saying he should be making changes for the sake of it, but our recent games have been screaming for changes and he's not made a move until late into the game when no one can make any real impact. More often than not, whenever the player does come on, they usually beat their man, get a shot off, or get the ball into the box, but it's always too late. 

We got lucky that the other game in the group ended in a draw, but now Villarreal come to Ibrox in 3 weeks needing a win, as do we, no idea what to expect from that game. 

I don't want to blame Gerrard, but there's only so much blame the players can take. 

Been reported that he cost them as much as 9-10m