Gerrard post Spartak reaction

RDB14

1 hour ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Situation might not have had the hype you’d expect but their team costs upwards of £100m and European football is a big stage, regardless of opposition. Think a team with Spartak’s Champions League pedigree brings it up a level or two.

Couldn’t work out in that last bit if you’re suggestion kick off time and TV channel impacted on their crowd numbers...not sure they have BT sport in Russia and I think the time there was 8:55 for the kick off? 

Disagree. I don't particularly think the Europa League is a big stage. 

No, BT sport obviously didn't affect crowd numbers in Moscow. My point was that an early kick off, on BT sports third channel would not be likely to attract many viewers, outside of our usual fan base. 

People can build it up all they want, the reality is the only people interested last night were us. Eveidently even Spartak fans weren't bothered. 

It wasn't a "big stage".

2 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

I don’t think he was too critical, aside from the u12s kicking with both feet comment - which was probably aimed at Goldson and Flanagan who were shocking. 

Gave them praise for getting here, and made it clear that we can’t defend like that and get results in Europe. Which is correct. 

Different players react in different ways. Some are motivated by a kick up the arse, some by an arm round the shoulder and some by telling them how amazing they are. I suspect the likes of Goldson are in the first category. 

Gave the attacking players their due, while criticised the defending. Entirely fair IMO. 

Agree with you on the whole but don't you think the huge swing from SG saying his players were fantastic in one game to nowhere near good enough in the next is a bit worrying? Maybe it's his lack of experience, but successful managers usually tone down both the praise and the criticism in front of the camera. I honestly think he risks losing credibility jumping from one extreme to the other - and maybe some of the players don't know if they're coming or going in terms of how he rates their performance? 

12 minutes ago, gsa said:

Disagree. I don't particularly think the Europa League is a big stage. 

No, BT sport obviously didn't affect crowd numbers in Moscow. My point was that an early kick off, on BT sports third channel would not be likely to attract many viewers, outside of our usual fan base. 

People can build it up all they want, the reality is the only people interested last night were us. Eveidently even Spartak fans weren't bothered. 

It wasn't a "big stage".

I live and work in London - no one ever talks to me about the scores in any of our Scottish games other than the OF, this morning I've already had three people talk to me about the Spartak game and they have done after every other European tie. Spartak fans weren't bothered because they're featherweight and are pissed off their team is playing poorly. 

It's obviously not a headline match like Man Utd vs Juventus but European football is still the big stage for us, only Champions League is bigger. 

Also early kick off time has nothing to do with it, that's the new agreement with UEFA for both tournaments and you'll have seen big games kicking off at 1755 and 2000. 

3 hours ago, TheBluebells said:

Be happy we even have a club to support mate, we nearly didn’t. 

3 hours ago, Sket said:

Omg remember where we've been!

3 hours ago, Sket said:

'I'm just happy to be in the group stages" is another cracker.

The sort of shite you'd expect from the sheep shaggers. Perennial losers both on and off the pitch.

I get that this is all just ripping the cunt out of people, but given where we were qualifying for the Group stages was a great achievement and the fact that we’re all raging at not winning away in Russia is an indication of how far we’ve come under Gerrard.

Its not perfect or anywhere near the finished article, but we’re miles better than when he first joined - sticky patch or not. 

15 hours ago, IpswichGer said:

I was a HUGE fan of his interviews but this getting annoying. Sounds like he is on repeat.

He looks proper fed up too. Not the right attitude for me.

at 2 games a week, it's very hard to come up with new ways to analyse and reacte to the games. its the same with any manager i think. Dont really blame him for being fed up. I am as well

1 minute ago, BlueMe said:

It doesn't find made up quotes i don't think mate, I'll have a look.

Oh dear,you've caught me out. Go back and the check the threads regarding the draw for the group stages ya fucking bicycle seat sniffer.

10 hours ago, Sweetheart said:

I can't argue with anything Gerrard said. I'm glad his post match reaction kept it honest for the fans and that he didn't name the individuals names who let the side down. The team needs to pull their socks up, they are professional athletes who should be able to do the basics and keep their positions. I'd love to know exactly what Gerrard said to the team at half time as the 2nd half of the game was a very unprofessional performance from the team. 

Our shape without the ball, ad good as it was first half, was terrible 2nd half. You know the players aren't keeping their shape and discipline when the opposition are able to break the lines easily, get turned and have a run at our back line. That happened A LOT 2nd half. Add into that some horrific basic errors and it was a recipe for disaster.

The reason we didn't do damage going forward 2nd half was because we weren't disciplined enough in our defending to win the ball back and counter. 

Just now, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Not denying he's right. I just don't think his post match interview is the place to be saying it. Keep that shit in the dressing room.

Then he'd get slaughtered for not criticising the players when it's needed, Warburton being the perfect example. 

1 minute ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Then he'd get slaughtered for not criticising the players when it's needed, Warburton being the perfect example. 

He can still criticise them without making comments like that. Comparing our players to 12-13 year olds in public isn't going to do anyone any favours imo.

4 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

He can still criticise them without making comments like that. Comparing our players to 12-13 year olds in public isn't going to do anyone any favours imo.

He wont need to compare them to 12-13 year olds if they actually do what they are supposed to and defend, a trait sorely missing from last night and the kind of performance you would expect from an unders team

4 hours ago, Valance1690 said:

The reason Walter got that was because of what he had done as a manager, he got the respect and got backed through the tough times because he had delivered in the past and you knew what he could do, Gerrard hasn't earned that yet as a manager & can't just be given it because of who he was as a player.

He's been backed financially so far, has had his choice of players (looking from the outside anyway) & so far he hasn't delivered. He now seems to be going down the route of singling the players out after every match (the players that he chose to sign) which is either going to spur them on to do better, which is unlikely in my eyes given they don't seem to have a backbone between them.

Or it's going to mean he burns bridges and we'll start hearing about fall outs in the dressing room as players won't stand for getting publically shamed every time they make a mistake.

It’s not about respect as a manager, he deserves their respect for what he has achieved in the game. You don’t lose that because he has moved into management, that would be ridiculous. 

It’s about who is the Boss, Stevie is the Boss end of, you don’t like what he has to say to you or about you after a horror show then you can leave it’s that simple. They want to stay then grow a thicker skin and get their finger oot their arse and play better.

I think it’s great that he tells it exactly how us the fans see it, it shows that even though he’s the manager he’s also a football fan first and foremost and he wants to see the game played properly. 

The days of players dictating to a manager at Rangers are over or they better be because if they aren’t we are fucked as a club. 

27 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

They're grown men ffs :lol: