Qualification From the Group Stage

Inigo

4 points is enough for us in any scenario (I think), just need to avoid defeat against Villareal to give ourselves everything to play for in Vienna. If we win against Villarreal were pretty much through imo.

Sure we've made it hard for ourselves but by no means are we out.

3 hours ago, jim beam said:

Nah we’ve fucked it I rackon which is annoying after the great start we had but the two games against The Russians especially last nights debacle sealed it.The up side is we can hopefully concentrate on the league instead.

For me failure to win at home against them was the bigger issue. Win at Ibrox and last night's result would have been less damaging as we would have 2 more points and a better head to head with the Russians. 

Don’t see why we can’t can’t get 3 points against Villarreal at home and be in a great position. 

Whatever happens I hope we are still in with a shout heading to Vienna, from a travelling perspective it will be great to be in with a chance of progressing. 

A loss at home and Spartak win would be brutal. 

This group reminds me of the Lyon and Stuttgart group in the CL 2007 - we came out flying in the first three games, then struggled badly for the rest of the group - I don't think we have enough defensively to get a win against Villarreal, and not convinced we can go to Austria and win. It's been a nice ride, overacheived to get through, but time to get back to the reality of league football.

It’s hard to predict how the other games will go.  I’ll be reasonably happy if we’re still in with a shout going into the last game.

It wasn’t that long ago Alloa knocked us out of the Challenge Cup, getting knocked out the Europa League by Villarreal or Rapid after a decent showing in the group stage seemed a long, long way away.

14 hours ago, jim beam said:

Nah we’ve fucked it I rackon which is annoying after the great start we had but the two games against The Russians especially last nights debacle sealed it.The up side is we can hopefully concentrate on the league instead.

Usual good start in a group, which then peters out.

I send your point re concentrating on the league, but this will still be a distraction for the next 5 weeks.

Still in a position where we could go on beyond that, if results go in our favour.

It will be very hard. I know we got a good result away to Villarreal but we were still horrendous. They were by far the better side and they have started finding some form domestically. 

I reckon close loss/draw against Villarreal and a win in Vienna. We smash rapid home and away.