Lack of winners?

Amac9

It's clear we suffer from a serious lack of genuine quality but I think the lack of winners in the squad plays a part.

Out with Allan McGregor and Kyle Lafferty (comes with his own baggage) we don't have anyone who has been there and done it. 

Our squad is made up of young loan players and journeymen who drift from club to club.

5 minutes ago, Amac9 said:

It's clear we suffer from a serious lack of genuine quality but I think the lack of winners in the squad plays a part.

Out with Allan McGregor and Kyle Lafferty (comes with his own baggage) we don't have anyone who has been there and done it. 

Our squad is made up of young loan players and journeymen who drift from club to club.

That's not true though.

5 minutes ago, Amac9 said:

Tell me the journeymen please

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Tav and Candieas have playes for 22 clubs between them.

Fuck sake tav went out on loan from Newcastle as a young boy he signed for us at 23

a 23 year old journeymen 

geez a fucking break

also fuck all up with candieas. Thought he played well last night 

Unfortunately when you're used to playing for small clubs where 1 good performance followed by 3/4 bad ones is accepted as the norm, it's a massive step up to a club where winning and success is an expectation. 

I'm sure the players appreciate the size of the club, but if the burden of expectation seems to be too much for them and has been for a long time now for any number of players and managers. 

In this situation you need a manager who can instill a winning mentality into the players, which you would hope Gerrard would have been able to do. But you still need the players to have the foundations to build on in the first place and I just don't see that mental toughness in a number of our key players. 

Otherwise we need to find a colossal amount of money to buy players who are used to playing at a high level, which isn't happening any time soon. 

1 minute ago, OhW said:

I saw someone on here call Worrall a journeyman a couple of days ago. He's 21 and he's played for 3 clubs; 2 of them on loan.

Mate it’s fucking hilarious 

a premiership club put money into a player and send him out on loan for development, doesn’t make the grade at said club and moves on and he’s a fucking journeyman 

cunts are fucking brain dead

Mediocrity is being embraced at our club now we will always stay losers if we continue to waste money on shite with better players you get more consistency we have youth players and loans and defenders who could not make average teams in England.  

As soon as we got in this League we should have bought three or four quality players every season we never we gambled on players who at one time had been good hoping they would recapture that form and with that we have wasted some amount of money on shite.   

This is not just a Gerrard problem its been going on since we have been in this league under this board.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

Mediocrity is being embraced at our club now we will always stay losers if we continue to waste money on shite with better players you get more consistency we have youth players and loans and defenders who could not make average teams in England.  

As soon as we got in this League we should have bought three or four quality players every season we never we gambled on players who at one time had been good hoping they would recapture that form and with that we have wasted some amount of money on shite.   

This is not just a Gerrard problem its been going on since we have got in this league under this board.

Spot on.

25 minutes ago, Amac9 said:

They go hand in hand though, don't they?  i.e. it takes quality to become a winner.

The last fortnight has proved that our current team doesn't have sufficient quality to become winners.

On balance over the last few seasons we've bought average players at the price we can afford and augmented them with young guys on loan. SG hasn't uncovered a bargain prospect any more than Warburton on Pedro did.

Maybe the reality is that Dave King has to make a bigger purse available to buy a couple of proven "winners" (striker and holding midfielder?) that can bring up the team as a whole? And ideally one of them would be a leader and captain.

5 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

No. It isn't.

Our squad isn't made up of journeymen and loan players.

We have 3 loan players, 4 if you want to count Sadiq.

That would make the rest of our squad journeymen?

Well we have apprentices, but certainly only one Master of his craft so that automatically make the rest journeymen using the old craft system.

McGregor is the only player we have I would class as a Master.

We don't have the money to bring in a squad of masters but we could certainly do better than some of the players we've brought in. I know this is only the first of four years that Gerrard has signed up for but we need a better scouting mechanism and money to be able to bring in a bit of class.

8 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

No. It isn't.

Our squad isn't made up of journeymen and loan players.

We have 3 loan players, 4 if you want to count Sadiq.

That would make the rest of our squad journeymen?

Kent

Ejaria

Coulibaly

Sadiq

Worral

Thats 5 and they all started v Aberdeen. Shouldn’t have that many loan players in the squad let alone a starting XI if you want to build a team.

We don't have a bottomless pit of money to go out and buy proven players at European level, so we will have to buy at a lower rate, some will work, some won't. Considering we are still in contention to progress from a European group stage after 4 games is very good.

The league isn't done and dusted either.