Chris Woods penalty

ElBufalo20

2 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

Sure it was against Valletta of Malta, we were winning about 6 or 7 nil at the time which is why he was allowed to take it, got another penalty after it and he shook his head laughing no way again, or I might be completely wrong. 

Bang on mate. At the time I actually thought he missed it on purpose. Can't remember why, but I remember there being talk at the time about Keepers scoring and how many had done it...and if we got a penalty that night, Woods would take it. he didn't want to though. Was in the Broomloan that night and he kept waving his hands to say no.

21 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Never seen this before.

Anyone at the game or any info as to why he took it during the 90mins.

Looks like a cup game so I’m guessing we were already a few goals up.

I was there, Govan front brown section, canny remember fuck all about the game though apart from we pumped some shity no mark team and took the piss by calling Woods up for the penalty ?

7 minutes ago, Bearsden bear said:

It was Valleta from Malta.

Tbh I thought it was a bit shit at the time taking the piss out a poor team. 

I would probably have found it funny if it was against celtic but poor old Valetta have done nothing to annoy us!

Same, thought it showed a bit of lack of class by us tbh 

55 minutes ago, Bearsden bear said:

It was Valleta from Malta.

Tbh I thought it was a bit shit at the time taking the piss out a poor team. 

I would probably have found it funny if it was against celtic but poor old Valetta have done nothing to annoy us!

My dad used to train with Valetta and may even have played a few games for them when he was based there with the RFA in the early 60s.

Oct 2nd 1990. We beat Valletta 6-0 at Ibrox in front of only 20,627. We had beaten them 4-0 away two weeks earlier.

I think we were 4-0 up at this point with 4 different scorers; Johnston, McCoist, Spencer & Dodds. Mo Johnston scored the second penalty and added another goal for his hat trick.

I was in the enclosure that night in the pishing rain and the crowd were yelling for Woods to take the penalty.

Aye, it wasn't just the press that slaughtered us, a lot of Bears thought it was a bit classless too. I was sat next to my dad in the Brown Section, and he wasn't impressed. 'You don't do that' he said. Pretty sure he used the word classless too. You could see the Valetta players, who were giving their all because this was obviously a huge match for them, felt they were having the piss taken out of them. Their goalie especially.