Chris Woods penalty

ElBufalo20

I was at that game! The rain was horrendous!

As a young lad I was cheering for Chrissy to step up and take the penalty but with hindsight - it was pretty disrespectful and a wee bit harsh on Valetta.

What was the final score again? 8-0.. something like that.

1 minute ago, Blueshoff said:

Was at that game - just got back from the first leg as spent two weeks in Malta.  Got to Ibrox late and missed 4 goals I think!

I was at the first game it was madness down in the square every night lol do you remember bonkers bar it was open 24 hours that was in buggiba and our local was the red lion bar across from the cop shop.

Just now, BILLYBOY50 said:

I was at the first game it was madness down in the square every night lol do you remember bonkers bar it was open 24 hours that was in buggiba and our local was the red lion bar across from the cop shop.

A distant memory now - we got there late the night before the game.  Stayed not far from Bugibba - Qwara or soemthing like that.

21 minutes ago, Blueshoff said:

A distant memory now - we got there late the night before the game.  Stayed not far from Bugibba - Qwara or soemthing like that.

We flew out from Glasgow early on the Sunday morning the day after we drew 1-1  with the scum. We had a great week there plenty bigotry and was in tow with a few boys from the pride of the rock flute band so the tunes were getting played day and night.

19 minutes ago, Paulbrian11 said:

We beat them a few years before that 18-0 on aggregate.  Davie McPherson scored 4 in one of the games which was probably even more humiliating for Valletta than the Woods penalty.

I was just about to post similar info.  Going from 18 nil to 10 nil is a vast improvement particularly considering our team was vastly improved by the later of the two ties.   I saw no reason why Woods shouldn't take a penalty.    Nothing humiliating about it and why shouldn't he be given a chance to score when a match is won by a comfortable margin?

2 hours ago, eskbankloyal said:

We got slaughtered in the press after it. 

Was probably the ultimate act of hubris but probably a bit unfair on Valletta given we were 6-0 up, 10-0 on aggregate 

We beat them 18-0 on aggregate another time as well, with big Slim scoring 4 in one of the legs.

Oops someone posted that a few minutes earlier.

4 hours ago, Bearsden bear said:

It was Valleta from Malta.

Tbh I thought it was a bit shit at the time taking the piss out a poor team. 

I would probably have found it funny if it was against celtic but poor old Valetta have done nothing to annoy us!

I was there and thought it was disrespectful too as did a lot of the support.

DISRESPECTFUL -- never heard that word at football back in the day and anyone saying different is lying through their teeth FFS, all these greeting face cunts have taken the fun out the game. Wish we had pen King Woods and Conductor Roberts in the team today.  

I may be wrong but i think CW was the only player in the squad who had never scored for us.

I always thought that's the reason the other players brought him up to take the kick.

Although we won the tie 10-0, Souness went mental about the lack of respect shown to the Maltese team.