The Rangers FC

Gazzasleftfoot

22 hours ago, Gazzasleftfoot said:

The whole point of the thread was we were called 'THE Rangers FOOTBALL CLUB' decades ago. So fuck the bams that insinuate it's a new name. 

Your response to any scum fan bringing this up should be that their club became ‘The celtic’ in 1994.  Talk of liquidation, Old club/new club, or anything else is irrelevant.  The Old Firms teams are currently known as The Rangers and The celtic.  Why emphasis ‘The’ before Rangers if your not going to do it with celtic who also have a ‘The’ before their name?  A question to ask those obsessed with the importance of using ‘The’.  If they say celtic’ just respond with ‘you mean ‘The celtic’ - Which is their proper name.  Trust me, this will get very tiresome, very quickly, and they won’t want to talk about it anymore. 

Honestly, as point scoring goes use of the word ‘The’ must be one of the worst kicking about.  Fundamentally inaccurate and just boring as fuck.  

10 minutes ago, TMB said:

Your response to any scum fan bringing this up should be that their club became ‘The celtic’ in 1994.  Talk of liquidation, Old club/new club, or anything else is irrelevant.  The Old Firms teams are currently known as The Rangers and The celtic.  Why emphasis ‘The’ before Rangers if your not going to do it with celtic who also have a ‘The’ before their name?  A question to ask those obsessed with the importance of using ‘The’.  If they say celtic’ just respond with ‘you mean ‘The celtic’ - Which is their proper name.  Trust me, this will get very tiresome, very quickly, and they won’t want to talk about it anymore. 

Honestly, as point scoring goes use of the word ‘The’ must be one of the worst kicking about.  Fundamentally inaccurate and just boring as fuck.  

you mean 'ra sellek'' surely

To my  embarrassment I do not know which term was used when we officially became a registered football club. 

Anyone confirm whether our original name was the Rangers or The Rangers ?

Wikipedia seems to confirm my belief we have always been known as "The Rangers" football club, except for the blip when we were Sevco. 

They were founded in 1872 and became an incorporated company, The Rangers Football Club Ltd in 1899. In the year 2000, then chairman and owner, Sir David Murray, decided to float the club on the stock market which subsequently made the private company into a PLC. In 2012, The Rangers Football Club Plc entered liquidation and the company's assets including Ibrox Stadium, Rangers Training Centre and intellectual property were bought by Sevco Scotland Ltd. Sevco Scotland Ltd later changed its name to The Rangers Football Club Ltd. The Rangers International Football Club Plc was then formed as the holding company by the owners The Rangers Football Club Ltd, with the latter becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of the former.

18 hours ago, Rob4th said:

Unfortunately I’m one of the older generation and from the late 50s onwards I remember my pals and I would always refer to the team as The Rangers. It would be “are you going to see The Rangers” “ How did The Rangers get on today” . Could never understand the more recent fuss and concern about folks calling us that, we are The Rangers. 

Much the same as Arsenal being "The Arsenal". 

49 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

Much the same as Arsenal being "The Arsenal". 

The Gunners or Gooners but never hear The Arsenal ever?  

My Granda(not so much now with him no longer being here*sigh*Miss his excited little face)and Uncle both call them The Rangers or The Mighty Queens 11.... But it doesn't really matter who calls them what when you're a fan.  Really strange thing to be getting in a twist about.  

Mon The Gers. 

Mon The Rangers.  

Mon then :p:

26 minutes ago, Sweettartangirl said:

My Granda(not so much now with him no longer being here*sigh*Miss his excited little face)and Uncle both call them The Rangers or The Mighty Queens 11.... But it doesn't really matter who calls them what when you're a fan.  Really strange thing to be getting in a twist about.  

Mon The Gers. 

Mon The Rangers.  

Certainly is The Arsenal: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/angryofislington.com/2011/12/27/when-did-the-arsenal-become-just-arsenal/amp/

1 hour ago, Sweettartangirl said:

Mon The Gers. 

Mon The Rangers.  

Up The Arsenal

5 hours ago, Sweettartangirl said:

Mon The Gers. 

Mon The Rangers.  

One nil to “The Arsenal”  used to be sang at The Arsenal games all the time

8 hours ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

I haven't clicked the link, so were they called Woolwich The Arsenal or The Woolwich Arsenal before it became just Arsenal? 

12 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

I haven't clicked the link, so were they called Woolwich The Arsenal or The Woolwich Arsenal before it became just Arsenal? 

Registered as:

"Woolwich Arsenal Football & Athletic Company Ltd" April 1910

Then in 1914/1915 season their board dropped the Woolwich and thereafter they were referred to as:

"The Arsenal Football & Athletic Company Limited".

23 hours ago, OhW said:

Its very commonly used.

Genuinely,  I have never heard it. One of my brothers support Arsenal as well and never heard him say The Arsenal.  I learn something new every day.  I only support one team, so don't pay an awful lot of attention to others nicknames etc to be entirely honest.  I'm familiar with most,  but not closely if that makes sense.  

7 minutes ago, Sweettartangirl said:

Genuinely,  I have never heard it. One of my brothers support Arsenal as well and never heard him say The Arsenal.  I learn something new every day.  I only support one team, so don't pay an awful lot of attention to others nicknames etc to be entirely honest.  I'm familiar with most,  but not closely if that makes sense.  

Shut up.