Fans from our community who support them

The Widow's Son

On 26/11/2018 at 07:26, .Williamson. said:

Never came across any in my life although to be fair you'd have some neck on you to be a Northern Irish Protestant and decide you were supporting the taigs.

Pretty sure @lidorfc is from the Catholic community. As far as I remember anyway 

NI is different. Most never meet the other crowd until they go to University or work in the City Center.

I always find it odd to hear Scottish bears talking about having a taig neighbour.

20 hours ago, GOAT said:

Mate round the back fae me every OF game is a house on balcomie street that’s always out in the garden fenian tunes on loud as fuck full of them in the garden.  Horrible fenian cunts plus in the high end just where avenue end road meets gartloch road there’s always a Irish tri colour celtic supporters bus flag that takes up all three stories in the close.  Horrible fenian rhats.  Maybe we’re just quieter than them. 

Used to stay on Balcomie St and my nana stayed on Elibank st. Flute band used to parade round the scheme before and after the big walk. Used to disband on Drumlochy rd, after playing in front of someone's house.

Changed days.

36 minutes ago, tm91 said:

On the topic at hand I've never met a celtic fan from a Rangers family but one of the most diehard Bears I've ever met was a RC from England. Being English he didn't have the same baggage and was massively into the tunes and union jacks - the Unionism really appealed to him. Fair enough I suppose. My secondary school was catholic and I went to it because it was the closest and the only half-decent school around - my old man was fucking raging about it mind - and his son a few years ahead of me was there and seemed every bit the bear his dad was. It was good for me to have an ally because the Teachers were well aware of how weird I was as a Rangers-supporting kid at their school and constantly gave me some (mostly inoffensive) shit about it but you do see the RC fans around.

Do you consider yourself catholic though?  Did you go to their church?  Genuine question.  

1 minute ago, tm91 said:

My dad was CoS and used to be in the OO and my mum is Sikh - I only went to the Catholic school because it was the closest and best in my area. :lol: Being in England it didn't have the same baggage. 

It was still a weird experience given I was raised a Rangers supporting protestant though.

You're saying it didn't have the same baggage and I get that to a certain degree, having had an interesting conversation with an Englishman at a Rangers pub recently.  However,  you mentioned being treated with some type of condemnation with certain offensive behaviour/language?  So,  the baggage is still there - by your interpretation.  

Hope it wasn't in the closet, by the way :matron:

26 minutes ago, tm91 said:

I went in with Rangers coats and scarves, I was raised well. 

Yeah it's there but it's softer and not as obvious. The genuinely Catholic teachers were a bit funny about it and would give me stick but very few of the students had any idea what was so weird about me being there at all. 

So although these teachers weren’t the common or garden chip-on-the-shoulder West Of Scotland fifth generation Irish Catholic we have to deal with up here, they still gave you a hard time. Presumably because they perceived Rangers to be anti-Catholic?

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

My school was that shite if you wanted to sit certain classes in 5th/6th year, or depending on whether you're Higher/Int2 you had to go to the local Catholic school for them, and they would do the same :lol: 

I fucking hated the school from my first day at primary till last day at secondary. It was not for me at all.

2 minutes ago, tm91 said:

The ones who were religious *and* football fans or knew about Scottish football, yep. That said there was one RE teacher who supported Everton who genuinely didn't care and had a laugh with me, but otherwise they'd be funny about it. 

Maybe posh papists like Jacob Rees-Mogg have more in common with John-Paul and Bernadette from Coatbridge than I thought.

I know a couple of brethren who are Catholic and celtic supporters, but they are ex-Army and raise thousands for the Royal British Legion. They also organise an annual Burns Supper. Two of the nicest guys you could meet.

My grandson goes to a Catholic secondary, but supports The Famous. His journey to school involves a few busy roads, but with him attending a Catholic school, that's the least of his fuckin worries 😄

I went to a catholic primary in EK when i was a kid as it was a couple of mins from my house.

Ended up going to the catholic secondary as all my mates from primary were going there, plus it was the best school results wise in the area.

To be honest, I got a really good education out of it. Teachers were brilliant with me. Never treated me differently (except i never got bummed), and to be honest it wasnt a big deal with the other kids either.

I dont agree with teaching of religion in schools, so I cant condone religious schools, they should be done away with IMO. That said, I actually quite enjoyed school and never found myself ever feeling excluded or thought of as different.

From what I experienced, there isnt a sectarian issue. Any issues that I came across is due to the football rivalry. The sectarian issue just gets thrown on to muddy the waters in a lot of cases.

On 27 November 2018 at 19:56, burnbank bear said:

Stop being a fanny looking for likes it’s not Facebook!!!

Who's collecting likes, guess it's you. I'm certainly not getting any. Religion means fuck all to me and the majority of supporters. I like the tunes, but visit churches for funerals. However I ain't hypocritical, can you say the same?

7 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Who's collecting likes, guess it's you. I'm certainly not getting any. Religion means fuck all to me and the majority of supporters. I like the tunes, but visit churches for funerals. However I ain't hypocritical, can you say the same?

You know the majority of supporters to make such a claim, do you? 

Which tunes are you referring to exactly?  

On 26/11/2018 at 12:43, GOAT said:

I think I’ve told this story a few times on here, my granda (RIP) grew up Rangers from the day he was born until the day he died, but his older brother hung about in different circles, mostly with his tarrier cousins and was a Tim.  One day after a game at the piggery he witnessed a fight between our two supports outside the piggery somewhere, he went over to join in only to find out my granda was amongst the Rangers fans, he turned on the tarriers and started boxing with them to obviously help his brother out.  Do you know from that day he went from being a celtic supporter to a Rangers supporter and still is to this day as an old man.  He was an Orangeman, a loyalist, trips over by the lot.  All because he seen his brother getting a a doing off tarriers.  Absolute madness. 

That’s fucking nuts! 

Back in the Souness days I was a private hire taxi driver in Clydebank and we had a catholic guy called Sean started with us. At that time you could go to Jordanhill college and watch the first team training in the morning, Chris Woods at striker, Walter Smith in midfield, it was brilliant fun. ( McCoist was always shite  ). Anyway Sean was there one morning  with his boy and at one stage asked Walter for an autograph,  Walter asked who the autograph was for and Sean's boy chirped up  " Patrick, tats my name !