***Official SK Rapid Wien v Rangers Thread***

G.E.C.

2 minutes ago, RDB14 said:

Thank fuck people like you aren't involved in making the decisions.  I want success right now as much as anyone but you can't just keep changing your fucking manager every 6 months.  We were top of the league a week or so ago.  I'm interested to see how we go domestically now without Europe.  Also, Gerrard is on a multi-year deal and took his whole backroom team with him.  Even if we did want to get rid, it would be expensive as fuck.  Give him 2 full seasons before doing anything rash.  He needs this season to bed in and hopefully cause a shock.  Next season is the real test.  Whether anyone including me or you like it, we are work in progress.  New manager and half our team tonight weren't even in the first team squad last year.  Middleton, Barisic, Goldson, McGregor, Macauley, Coulibaly, Arfield are all new... that's over half our team!  And there is no denying Gerrard is a pure winner.  He will keep working and working and working until he gets there.  Follow through the good and bad.

He really has not done anything hugely wrong this season.  Beating teams like Maribor to qualify was a huge step forward from where we have been and it's worth noting we would have beat RV and Villareal over 2 legs.  Doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things but we are not miles away from being a decent outfit.

It's the signings that have worried me & have since day 1. 

McGregor/Arfield weren't exactly scouting miracles, they were 2 players who we could get regardless of who was the manager & were a free shot

Players who cost money have been terrible across the board & the 1 player who did look decent, Katic, has had his confidence smashed by the manager himself 

Trust him with another 5/6 million going into January? Not a fucking chance

Could be the last big expensive window we have for a while looking at the finances we see as fans & I'd much rather have somebody in who has experience and not a rookie making those signings, would've rathered that in June too

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Don54 said:

Alfredo needs help and our midfield is well short of creativity

This more than anything is our main problem. 

No it's not ..It is a problem but it's nowhere near as much as the midfield who offer absolutely no threat in too many of our games 

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

McGregor/Arfield weren't exactly scouting miracles, they were 2 players who we could get regardless of who was the manager & were a free shot

Players who cost money have been terrible across the board & the 1 player who did look decent, Katic, has had his confidence smashed by the manager himself 

Could be the last big expensive window we have for a while looking at the finances we see as fans & I'd much rather have somebody in who has experience and not a rookie making those signings, would've rathered that in June too

If he went we'd have NO money for signings

8 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

Haven't scored a goal from open play in 6 games now.

That is a worrying statistic. I thought we played well tonight but we do lack a bit of quality in midfield, and McAuley isn't the dominant centre half I thought he'd be. Can't fault anyone for effort. Certainly showed we need a couple of decent signings.

1 minute ago, Bluekev said:

I agree about the players and that's why I think he needs to be given a chance now he knows what type of player is needed. Loads of player look good on paper but don't perform because of the difficulty of our league. There have been world class renowned players in the EPL who have flopped but gone on to great things in other countries. We need bullying players and I think he's starting to realise that. He's not minding his words when it comes to criticising the player and for me that's a good thing as other managers have tried to defend the indefensible. I'm not an avid Gerrard fan but I believe given the chance, money and time he'll win the league for us.

Really wish I shared your optimisin & I suppose we'll find out if you're right in a few weeks (fully expect him to get the January window at least) so we'll see who he brings in

8 minutes ago, scott12003 said:

downer over 

just found another bottle of crest after the henry westons were done

gonna be carnage when mrs gets in from work 🙂

sash bash time

Quite. Have a drink,  forget and move on.  Not a priority this season. 

Disappointed with the result but given the personnel available we were always going to try to get to 70 75 minutes with a clean sheet and then go more attacking but not to be unfortunately. Considering where we were last year with a manager arguing with the supporters standing in a bush after the most embarrassing result in our European history to now a big step forward given we were the 47th ranked team out the 48 in the group stages. Now to get the league form back on track

9 minutes ago, Johnsey said:

The movement is honestly killing us. We go forward and not one cunt wants to make a run. They pressed us on every touch, a bit of movement and we could have been in behind loads. 

Only saw the last few minutes but I saw enough to agree with you because it's been going on for weeks now. Our movement off the ball is uninspired and predictable and inside the box it's downright diabolical.

Just now, Grundy said:

That is a worrying statistic. I thought we played well tonight but we do lack a bit of quality in midfield, and McAuley isn't the dominant centre half I thought he'd be. Can't fault anyone for effort. Certainly showed we need a couple of decent signings.

I was wrong mind you, it's 5 games not 6, but yeah, the lack of ball retention in the midfield, the lack of being able to string passes together and the lack of creative runs are leaving us royally fucked.

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

My point is that they need time together and to get used to playing for this club (Mcgregor aside).  Goldson has been fine, Barisic has been injured and looked alright whenever he has been fit and played, Kent if we get him would be great, jury is out on Grezda. The only absolute disaster is Sadiq.  It's too early to judge anyone else one way or the other with any degree of confidence.

Also - we wont spend 5/6 million in January.  We may make a couple loan signings or something but I think it will be the Summer before we spend anything substantial again unless an absolute bargain appears from nowhere.

2 minutes ago, Don54 said:

Alfredo needs help and our midfield is well short of creativity

This more than anything is our main problem. 

Haven't had a creative midfield  player since before Warburton and certainly none since.  We never have that one player who can take the game by the scruff of the neck and turn it around, a player who can open a defense with one pass.  I know these players are few and far between so either SG manages to unearth a gem or he registers for next season.  

1 minute ago, eejay the dj said:

No it's not ..It is a problem but it's nowhere near as much as the midfield who offer absolutely no threat in too many of our games 

Sorry I thought " our midfield is well short of creativity " meant that they offered no threat.

12 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

He’s not wrong though

Team got through in Russia with 9men ffs went to Spain and got a point off the team that won the group hardly against reserves. 

Easy to look and rubbish the achievements of our team in Europe.

Add some context tho and we are unlucky no to progress its been a fantastic effort

9 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

McCrorie made some great covering tackles tonight. Dug McAuley our a couple of times. He does the job of protecting the center half’s very well. Allowed Jack to be more forward thinking and Jack had a decent game. 

Arfield should have been central. I think McCrorie between two banks of 4 and Arfield and jack central with Grezda and Middletonon the wings would have been a great set up with hindsight

I like McCrorie but thought he was poor tonight. Would have been the first midfielder subbed off for me.

That said McAuley was even worse.

Jack was ok but going forward is not his strong point. If we rely on him for creativity there’s more goalless games ahead 

2 minutes ago, Don54 said:

Sorry I thought " our midfield is well short of creativity " meant that they offered no threat.

We seem to be at our most threatening on the quick counter where our midfield is basically involved in one pass or bypassed completely.  That worked pretty well in Europe but also highlights why we struggle against packed defenses in Scotland.

Archived