The definition of insanity

Bristol loyal

Is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So why have we for the last three games played exactly the same way? No movement, creativity or composure. Just pass it out to the wing every single time we get the ball and either put in a cross that doesn’t beat the first man or if it does we’ve got no one who can get on the end of it and do anything? What’s changed from earlier in the season? It’s so bloody frustrating that we don’t seem to have tried to change things or play a different way. 

1 minute ago, Bristol loyal said:

Is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So why have we for the last three games played exactly the same way? No movement, creativity or composure. Just pass it out to the wing every single time we get the ball and either put in a cross that doesn’t beat the first man or if it does we’ve got no one who can get on the end of it and do anything? What’s changed from earlier in the season? It’s so bloody frustrating that we don’t seem to have tried to change things or play a different way. 

Could be a mental thing. They do have to put up with tidal waves of horrendous reporting and punditry in this country. You forget they're mostly in their early/mid twenties. It's the manager's job to keep their energy, composure and outlook in check. They looked drained tonight and scared to take a chance.

Not sure this is mental illness but perhaps being stubborn or stuck in your ways or not being adaptable .I think the effort is there but perhaps not the high intensity to force errors late on in games.We need our main players to play well and they can help spark some of the other players in to life.Earlier in season more players were playing and contributing to a higher degree.The past results have worried me as goals and creativity has dried up.

15 minutes ago, VERITAS VOS LIBREBETS said:

What about playing in triangles, one or two touches, not putting so many high balls into the box when we don't win them, taking shots from outside the box, playing the ball through the channels.

These are professional football players for fuck sake, why do we persist in doing the same thing over and over again against teams for the whole match when you can tell in the first five minutes that a particular style of play won't work?

Spot on, it’s things any professional footballer should be able to do, a lot of it stuff kids are taught to do. The fact we don’t change things when it’s not working is worrying, as I said three games we’ve played the exact same way and looked poor in all three. The question for me is who’s not learning, Gerrard or the players?

25 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

This was mentioned when Warburton was the manager. When plan A doesn't work do plan A better. We only know how to play one way and don't know how to mix it up

Think the first thing we need to do is learn to pass the ball to a blue jersey, and stop making wholesale changes every game, six on Sunday seven tonight, all be it a couple forced, but for me we need to get a settled team, no excuse now we're out, just find his best starting eleven and fkn go with it. 

1 hour ago, Bad Robot said:

Project after project after project 

We have been in Europe for the first time since 2011 - punched above our weight and could have gone through had we had a couple of decsisions go our way and a bit of luck.

Yet to you it is “Project after project after project”?

I’m sorry but that is utter shite.

1 minute ago, BlueThunder said:

We have been in Europe for the first time since 2011 - punched above our weight and could have gone through had we had a couple of decsisions go our way and a bit of luck.

Yet to you it is “Project after project after project”?

I’m sorry but that is utter shite.

If this isn’t another project, what is it?

2 hours ago, Bristol loyal said:

I love Gerrard but this is my beef also. A man of his football knowledge must see this and know how to change even if his sources are limited. He doesn't come across to me as stubborn like his predecessors but he needs to change the approach. 

2 hours ago, the old guard said:

Think the first thing we need to do is learn to pass the ball to a blue jersey, and stop making wholesale changes every game, six on Sunday seven tonight, all be it a couple forced, but for me we need to get a settled team, no excuse now we're out, just find his best starting eleven and fkn go with it. 

Probably  doesn’t know it

2 hours ago, Bad Robot said:

If this isn’t another project, what is it?

Progress.  

5 months ago there were folk thinking we had no chance getting through the pre-qualifiers never mind reaching last 32. 

Fair enough, Last 3 games have been pish but let's be realistic here.... the whole purpose of Europe this season was to make a few quid and not make an arse of ourselves. I think we can confidently say we've done that. 

We're just 2 points behind the taigs (and a better goal difference) and they've got 2 tough away games against the sheep and spoon burners, no to mention a mid-week game against their bogey team (motherwell). Plus the mhedia's  favourite taig got stretchered off the park tonight. 

Some of the threads/comments on here these days are fucking mental. 

46 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

Maybe I misunderstood, but are you suggesting we start again?

No, my criticism is at King when last season he should have went and got a tried and tested manager. He’s overseen Pedro and Murty and possibly a triple treble for those scumbags and being our so called leader, he gets the blame 

3 hours ago, TheBoyDave said:

Not sure this is mental illness but perhaps being stubborn or stuck in your ways or not being adaptable .I think the effort is there but perhaps not the high intensity to force errors late on in games.We need our main players to play well and they can help spark some of the other players in to life.Earlier in season more players were playing and contributing to a higher degree.The past results have worried me as goals and creativity has dried up.

Using the early games as the indicator 

McGregor has been a rock 

Tav has been consistent ..........

Goldson has brought us stability .Can't see us being thrashed with him in the side 

Katic should absolutely be there and was superb at start of season 

Left back position hasn't been nailed down .For me a big problem 

Arfield has been pleasantly consistent .Our best midfielder imo 

Coulabally has been inconsistent ..I still would consider him going forward but he wouldn't be a loss

Jack .Inconsistent but I think we have to keep him .Improving  

Ejaria hasn't been worse than Coulabally but his body language and attitude seem way off ..I would not pick him again 

Murphy was doing ok but it's now when we may miss his creative spark going into the critical part of the season .

Alfredo .We are in trouble if he's not there He needs help ,only to give him competition or it's not critical if he misses a game 

Lafferty is a waste of a jersey unless he starts a game .

Middleton .Too much expected so soon.Wingers always blow hot and cold but needs to be more consistent 

Candeas .Popular player but no where near good enough to onlock defences .Going by our previous wingers throughout the years .He isn't even average 

Worral isn't convincing in either his performances or attitude .We have better so I wouldn't play him again 

4 minutes ago, Craiggybear said:

Progress.  

5 months ago there were folk thinking we had no change getting through the pre-qualifiers never mind reaching last 32. 

Fair enough, Last 3 games have been pish but let's be realistic here.... the whole purpose of Europe this season was to make a few quid and not make an arse of ourselves. I think we can confidently say we've done that. 

We're just 2 points behind the taigs (and a better goal difference) and they've got 2 tough away games games against the sheep and spoon burners, no to mention a mid-week game against their bogey team (motherwell). Plus the mhedia's  favourite taig got stretchered off the park tonight. 

Some of the threads/comments on here these days are fucking mental. 

Let’s be honest, any manager after Pedro and Murty would be progress. The game against the scum at the month will show if there’s been any real progress. We need quality and some cash but cash is something King doesn’t seem to want to spend after all his bs.

Outside the problems we see I think another problem we have is our players are not intelligent, players don't make runs into good areas or runs that pull the opposition players out if position to force mistakes and room. 

Many times tonight our players would just stand still and be so static it's frustrating. Our attacking is the same every time, CB will play it about then pass it to midfield the will hit it out wide, we will try to cross it into the box which in most cases is a disaster.

Dundee for example, when a team goes down you start to stretch the game out. We just kept pumping afore mentioned game plan which failed time after time. We don't have a target man like Hately and even if we did Tav would still hit the ball to high for him to get it, Candeias is lucky if his crosses make it beyond the first man.

Our play is very 1 dimensional, flat and predictable. We don't have any spark or urgency and by the time the CB have playing the ball back and forward to each other the opposition have got their shape back. I watched Salzburg against them tonight and you could see Salzburg players making runs, players not on the ball stretching the game to make space, when they got the ball they were starting to attack instead of playing the ball to the CB like we do.

I think SG is a little wary of making big tactical changes after the 352 debacle earlier in the season, especially with the amount of games we are playing in such a short space of time. With us out of Europe now, there should be a lot less weeks made up of light sessions and the coaching team can get stuck in drilling the basics back into the team. All said and done though the players have to stand up and take responsibility and stop coasting in games and put the hard yards in to drag defenders out of position. Some of them just aren't intelligent enough to see the passes that are on or to make the proper runs.