As a support (re: middleton)

RFC55

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

See if his age isn't an excuse, why did we all lap up Gerrard's line about Caixinha almost ruining McCrorie by playing him in his position at a young age?

Gerrard talked about Caixinha not playing him in his correct position...

He was getting played centre back.

Boys no where near ready and his situation is starting to mirror that of Docherty, great start then tailing off as team performances dip. Then as a young lad he is an easy target, he needs protected and not blamed imo for his performances. We always judge young players far too quickly.

50 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

He played well twice before when we were setup to counter attack so it's no surprise why Gerrard went with him again. 

Set up to counter attack in a game where we need to win against a team that didnt want to attack, gaffers fault again

8 hours ago, ronniemca said:

Middleton has potential,that's all.He could become a good player but he needs to add an awful lot to his game.To me he needs lots of space behind a fullback to use his pace over a distance.He needs to work on shifting the ball a few yards and improving his initial burst of speed to whip the ball in ala wee bud.

Exactly. He has one 'trick', which is to kick it five yards beyond the full back and run like fuck after it hoping he's quicker. Any time he's faced a full back who is roughly as quick as him he has shat it, was verging on embarrassing how much respect he gave Shay Logan.

I'm someone who has supported our young players coming through, MacLeod and McKay have been my two of my favourite players to watch for us over the past 5 odd years. Adam and Hutton were always destined to be EPL players imo, and Stevie Smith would've been too if he hadn't have got injured. So this isn't about knocking a young player because he's young.

Middleton just has so many holes in his game that he needs to improve on. 

Younger players are an easier target for fans to go for.

At times he looks every bit a boy against men, some players his age are physically capable and some aren’t,  it’s up to the manager to use him accordingly and most criticism should be aimed at the manager if he keeps throwing someone in that isn’t ready to be starting so often.

IMO he’s never a winger the way we try to play him. 

10 hours ago, The Dude said:

Going all-out attack in a game we need to win isnt exactly sensible.

Better option than the guff served up on Thursday night, how much did we trouble the rapid keeper? 

You play counter attacking against at team better than you, that rapid team isn't better than us, gerrard fucked it on thursday night

I get OPs point but a Club the size of Rangers shouldn't be playing 18 year olds who aren't the full package yet

If we sign an 18 year old he should be proven to be able to run with the big boys, we shouldnt be developing players in our first team, our first team should be developed and experienced no matter that age they are.

What is the point in playing an 18 year old who isn't at his best when we could sign a 24 year old who has the ability we need

29 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I get OPs point but a Club the size of Rangers shouldn't be playing 18 year olds who aren't the full package yet

If we sign an 18 year old he should be proven to be able to run with the big boys, we shouldnt be developing players in our first team, our first team should be developed and experienced no matter that age they are.

What is the point in playing an 18 year old who isn't at his best when we could sign a 24 year old who has the ability we need

When did that last happen? 

20 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

that cross into the box in the 93rd minute today summed up how much the boy has to learn tbh 

Gerrard clearly had a word with him at the end about that cross when shaking hands with the players, pulled him aside and was pointing over at that corner. 

19 minutes ago, gogzy said:

He is going to grow into a very good player I think.

Most of his mistakes are due to age and inexperience IMO.  

Indeed.  

I think I may have been too hasty to say he isn't ready for full games.  He may be just needs full games to improve himself and gain in experience.  

Just now, Sweettartangirl said:

Indeed.  

I think I may have been too hasty to say he isn't ready for full games.  He may be just needs full games to improve himself and gain in experience.   

He is ready for full games, or ready for starts at least, but not in all games.  He isn't ready for that burden.

That's no slight on him, he is  a kid.