As a support (re: middleton)

RFC55

Last night i thought he came inside too often but don't know if thats was he was told to do in order to create space for Barasic to overlap.  As a winger i'd be expecting him to sit a yard off the touchline and chase balls popped in over the top.

Yes we always give the kids pelters as a support and i always say we need to get off their backs. Im resigned to that not changing. There's no doubt a long list of players over the years who we gave pelters to, left and turned out to be decent players. I'll start with a certain CB who left this year.

If you have pace and can't beat a man then improve your stamina and do that for 90 minutes. Thats exactly what i used to do. Yes they will cotton on quickly and either leave it as a foot race between the winger and the Full back OR the CB will end up coming across to cover, creating space in the middle, so both situations are winners as long as the Winger has the stamina to keep chasing for 90 mins or at least until the FB is fucked and gets subbed, potentially prevent the oppsotion from making a more useful substitution late on. 

Rangers fans just love being negative. Fuck I’ve seen us win games 3-0 and the fans still Moan.

i suppose that’s why none of us are paid managers because in the light of day we know nothing about the everyday tasks of football management.  Middleton will have a decent career- he has faults no doubt but they should go with the more experience he gets.  I like him but not as an every game starter, more of an impact player.  

He’ll come good.

He is playing more due to injury than we should expect . However he will come good . Grezda I don't think we will see the best until he has a full pre season . He is coming back from a bad injury and it takes time. How good he is I don't know but I remember Hately getting pelters when he first started and he was recovering from a bad ankle injury.

I honestly think he’s going to be brilliant for us in the future. He’s inconsistent but you could say the same about literally any 19 year old winger and he’s been thrown in the deep end more so than any other youngster at the club when you consider the quality of opposition we’ve faced in Europe.

Things don’t always come off for him and that was he case last night but he’s technically very gifted and never hides. It’s just the case that our lack of depth has put him under increased and sometimes unfair scrutiny.

I said this exact thing would happen when there was a clamour on here for him to get more starts.

He has potential but needs properly managed into the team, but tbf to Gerrard, injuries and suspensions have forced him to play him more than he should have.

I think he's woeful and find him frustrating to watch. Touch is awful at times, has no right foot whatsoever, and although he has pace he's yet to beat a player with any skill.

That said, at 18 he has loads of time to improve and develop.

Hutton, Smith, Adam and then more recently McLeod and McKay were all players I rated highly coming through.

Playing Middleton as often as we have is an symptom of our poor squad depth. Our poor squad depth is because of lack of proper investment, the investment in the squad has been poor due to our recovery being hampered by poor boards, poor managers buying poor players with us having to press the reset button 3 times over the last 3 years, with all the costs that entails. We did not have the same money as years before and wasted a lot of it when we binned the manager and 3/4 of the squad each year. Punters still appear to think that we some how have the same finances to challenge the spuds but also know in reality we don't, so they voice this unrealistic nonsense of expecting the players we have now to be as good as some of our best squads in the past. We need a period of calm, a manager who knows what a good player looks like, can get said player here and coach him and improve him. This is not a 1 season fix, yet we have tried this 1 season fix for the last 3 seasons and it has not worked.

We need to keep Gerrard, allow him to build a squad that will do the business but that will take time. I think Middleton and Grezda will come good, as well as several others. Some of our playing staff as stopgaps and I am sure that Gerrard will know who bring what to the team and squad. He has a far higher level of knowledge than any one on this forum as how many on here have lifted the European Cup and Captained their country. Everyone on here has an opinion but it doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. I will give Gerrard his 4 years and I believe we will be in a much better place because of it.

Gerrard does not have the experience of managing a team as big as Rangers, well nether did Struth or Souness but they did alright.  This is his first season, he has improved the squads general standard and will now hopefully start focusing on the areas that he thinks where we need improvement to make us a winning force again. Middleton is one for the next few years where we will see improvement and I think that we will see improvement over the next few years through out the team and squad.

25 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I think he's woeful and find him frustrating to watch. Touch is awful at times, has no right foot whatsoever, and although he has pace he's yet to beat a player with any skill.

Seems like we’ve been watching a different player.

The reason our young players (particularly Young Scottish players) get stick is because a lot ofour fans are fuckin idiots, who can’t wait to get on players backs. Also once they’ve decided that player isn’t going to make it there’s no way back for them because they’d rather a boy failed than admit they were wrong. 

1 hour ago, james_85 said:

Said it before and will say it again he looks like another Gregg Wylde loads of pace and no skills to beat a man. 

I think he's better than Wylde. However Wylde did contribute to a League winning team and played his part in the game v Kilmarnock. If Middleton can do even just that, we'll have been on to a winner.

38 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Hutton, Smith, Adam and then more recently McLeod and McKay were all players I rated highly coming through.

All about dismissing the positives and focussing on the negatives, eh?

41 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I thought Ness was the most naturally talented youngster we've brought into the team, immediately looked so comfortable on the ball. Lovely to watch. He must've had something for Walter to stick him in at centre mid as he was a fairly conservative manager where such things were concerned. 

Middleton has athleticism and attitude so we'll see where that takes him, it's taken plenty of guys to decent careers and £100k per week. 

13 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Seems like we’ve been watching a different player.

The reason our young players (particularly Young Scottish players) get stick is because a lot ofour fans are fuckin idiots, who can’t wait to get on players backs. Also once they’ve decided that player isn’t going to make it there’s no way back for them because they’d rather a boy failed than admit they were wrong. 

The fans at ibrox are fkn brutal, the difference away from home is night and day , even the comments and reading of the game are more constructive and intelligent, and nobody leaves after 70 mins

He’s not ready to be starting, if Kent was fit he’s first pick and Grezda should be next in line but for some reason Stevie doesn’t seem to fancy Grezda that much. 

As for the support getting on his back that’s never going to change, we are a shower of moaning cunts, so he either has to man up and get on with it or go the way of most and leave. 

Just now, Ivybank said:

The fans at ibrox are fkn brutal, the difference away from home is night and day , even the comments and reading of the game are more constructive and intelligent, and nobody leaves after 70 mins

Where are you going for go at 70 mins away from home?? 

6 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

Ddint think.the wee.man was great tonight. Thought he was.poor v Aberdeen and struggled.v Dundee.but can.anyone tell.ke.why an 18 year old.boy with the contribution he's had.this.year gets.the absolute dogs abuse he's had this year?

I genuinely thought Charlie Adam.was.poor but fan power seemed to.force the boy out and we.kissed out on a huge windfall, why do.we always seem as a support.to right our youngsters off so.easily?

I hate to.use them.as.an example.but the taigs despised Forrest but how.view him.as some kind of.superstar after 6 years of.depsising him.but they stick.with him. Us we write everyone off.after three bad games

Why? 

I thought he was poor the last couple of games,but hes just a kid ,this is his first season

as a first team player he,ll get wiser stronger and much more of a first class player.

it takes time.