Teams who defend

eosmhdo

The problem is it’s so much easier to destroy than it is to create. Look at what happened at Wembley on Saturday with Spurs and Burnley. Carbon copy of what we were up against today against Hamilton. If it a team approaches a game with no regard whatsoever to attack then any team would struggle against that. 

Difference being Spurs have the financial clout to buy players like Eriksen/Son/Lamela who can open a few doors and make things happen. Players like that aren’t exactly ten a penny when you’re looking at spending £2-3 million max on a player. 

2 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

think about this for a second. They were 1 nothing down and still defending like fuck - because they had no other choice. Surely that is a positive.

That’s a good point. Surely if you’re a fan of that club or even a board member, you must look at that and think why isn’t the a manager showing any ambition now that we are behind. You either lose 1-0 or worse or maybe sneak a 2-2 going for it. Especially without Morelos in the team, we aren’t exactly dynamite in an attacking sense at this moment in time. 

8 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

think about this for a second. They were 1 nothing down and still defending like fuck - because they had no other choice. Surely that is a positive.

To me that's how I know we've improved compared to last season. There is a definite fear of giving is time and space to exploit whereas last season we could go ahead early on and teams like Hamilton would still come out and try to play.

1 minute ago, BlueAvenger said:

Frustrated too about the number of decent corners we put in and no one on the end of them. 

Would be interesting to know how many corners we’ve had this season and how many resulted in a goal.

From memory we’ve been awful at scoring from them the past few seasons.

I thought we were a lot better today in terms of getting the ball forward into dangerous positions, but we weren't turning that possession into dangerous chances and goals. 

Hopefully we can keep getting the ball forward and the goals will come. 

12 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

We could help ourselves a little bit by moving the ball quicker, playing with more intensity and looking forwards with our passes as opposed to back and sideways which is a huge preference for our midfielders. 

Yes we are very ponderous most of the time.  Don't think its just the strikers or striker singular,  but the service to them.  Slow to get forward and not getting enough players quickly into the box. By the time we get near a penalty area most teams have their entire 11 in there.

I'm more concerned that we had over 20 corners and didn't score off any! surely to fuck at least one should've been stuck in,our set pieces are horrendous,and we're guilty of losing a few goals to them too.

katic used to bang some in,but Gerrard keeps him out the team.

1 hour ago, King Jela said:

We’ve absolutely pumped teams that hav came and sat back this season, even today we unlocked Hamilton more than enough times to bury the game but we were striker-less up front 

It requires a lot of discipline to sit and defend for 90 mins. Poorer teams often lack that positional discipline. If we score often they lose the head and the flood gates can open. I think some sides we've faced this season have been pretty well drilled defensively. It's hard and always has been. 

I remember during 9IAR, vital matches against Partick Thistle or similar teams 0-0 with a few mins to go and a moment of magic from Gascoigne or something winning the game for us. Also we often ended up drawing games and just couldn't get the break through. All big teams have the same issue - we don't have any divine right to pump any team. Nobody wants to set up to get beaten. Walter did the same in our run to the UEFA Cup final. We were really well drilled defensively and got criticised for playing anti-football by Barcelona or whoever it was. We did what we had to do.  

Until we have more creative attacking players we will run into these issues. 

3 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

It requires a lot of discipline to sit and defend for 90 mins. Poorer teams often lack that positional discipline. If we score often they lose the head and the flood gates can open. I think some sides we've faced this season have been pretty well drilled defensively. It's hard and always has been. 

I remember during 9IAR, vital matches against Partick Thistle or similar teams 0-0 with a few mins to go and a moment of magic from Gascoigne or something winning the game for us. Also we often ended up drawing games and just couldn't get the break through. All big teams have the same issue - we don't have any divine right to pump any team. Nobody wants to set up to get beaten. Walter did the same in our run to the UEFA Cup final. We were really well drilled defensively and got criticised for playing anti-football by Barcelona. We did what we had to do.  

Until we have more creative attacking players we will run into these issues. 

Good point there. But Lafferty could have easily had at least two today. Hit the post and came back off keeper and then that save second half. If either had gone in or both I think their arses would have collapsed. Luck was on their side today!

1 hour ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

That’s a good point. Surely if you’re a fan of that club or even a board member, you must look at that and think why isn’t the a manager showing any ambition now that we are behind. You either lose 1-0 or worse or maybe sneak a 2-2 going for it. Especially without Morelos in the team, we aren’t exactly dynamite in an attacking sense at this moment in time. 

That’s their choice, and right,  it’s our problem to break them down. No of us were complaining when Smith parked the bus in the 2008 UEFA run. 

1 hour ago, Getstiffed said:

To me that's how I know we've improved compared to last season. There is a definite fear of giving is time and space to exploit whereas last season we could go ahead early on and teams like Hamilton would still come out and try to play.

There is no doubt that teams are setting up showing us far more respect than in previous seasons. That plus the general attitude of the SFA, media and opposing managers and fans tells me the perception is that we are back and they are all seething about it.