Tav

Lloyd

10 minutes ago, TMB said:

James Tavernier has 14 assists this season.  That's 14 crosses that have resulted in goals.  Not to mention the 9 goals he's scored.  Some are just hell bent on hating the guy despite the fact he and Morelos are carrying this team in an attacking sense.

He's also put many further crosses on a plate for us to miss, and not half chances either, absolute sitters. Admittedly he can be hit and miss with his crossing (there's sometimes no inbetween) but pretty much every game he will create 1 or 2 great chances. He is vital to our team.

32 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Problem with tav is the captaincy, he isnt the type of player the rest will look up to when the chips are down and the going gets tough, and ability wise he isnt the standout player that will get the others going 

Agreed. I think the only player we have who could hold that arm band properly is McGregor. I'm not a fan of goalies being the captain as the obviously can't get word far up the park. Maybe Morelos could take it. Could possibly make him a little bit more mature when it comes to talking to refs etc... Could also maybe make him want to stay a bit longer. I know he wasn't captain, but the smellies managed to keep Larson for the best part of his career. Maybe we could do the same with Morelos? Who knows... The money down south is going to be our biggest worry in trying to keep him. Even if a team like South Hampton came in for him, we would probably lose him. If he was captain here, then maybe that could give him the feeling of the importance we all feel for him and possibly stop his head from getting turned by big bucks down south. Our club does have the ability to pay him enough money to set him up for life.... 

1 minute ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Agreed. I think the only player we have who could hold that arm band properly is McGregor. I'm not a fan of goalies being the captain as the obviously can't get word far up the park. Maybe Morelos could take it. Could possibly make him a little bit more mature when it comes to talking to refs etc... Could also maybe make him want to stay a bit longer. I know he wasn't captain, but the smellies managed to keep Larson for the best part of his career. Maybe we could do the same with Morelos? Who knows... The money down south is going to be our biggest worry in trying to keep him. Even if a team like South Hampton came in for him, we would probably lose him. If he was captain here, then maybe that could give him the feeling of the importance we all feel for him and possibly stop his head from getting turned by big bucks down south. Our club does have the ability to pay him enough money to set him up for life.... 

Morelos as captain? I love the guy but that would be a ridiculous decision.

10 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Loyalty no longer exists for professional footballers, they (quite rightly) will always want to move on to better themselves (proffesionally or financially), and they're agents will be enthisiastically pushing them along.

It's not even as if we were his boyhood idols or anything, but I suspect he already likes us a lot, and especially Gerrard. 

23 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Ryan jack maybe the best choice right not, he's one that never shirks his job, always stands out in our games, etc

He shouldn't even be a first choice if we are serious about being the best team in the league again, nevermind captain. 

Tav was the wrong choice for the job aswell but our options are massively limited for the role. I had really hoped the manager would have made a quality player capable of leading the team a top priority in the summer. Unfortunately he didn't. 

2 minutes ago, KBOO72 said:

He shouldn't even be a first choice if we are serious about being the best team in the league again, nevermind captain. 

Tav was the wrong choice for the job aswell but our options are massively limited for the role. I had really hoped the manager would have made a quality player capable of leading the team a top priority in the summer. Unfortunately he didn't. 

Put two quality ball playing mids in front of jack and he does the dirty cleanup work, thats his game, but my saying he could be captain is more of his character, he has the aggressive, no shite mannerisms that others can maybe get a boost from when the games a struggle, 

If you arent playing well, the game is drifting away from you and your team, you wabt someone who just by a single word or a glare in your direction, can get that extra 10% out of you, i think jack can provide that, tav certainly can't 

40 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Morelos as captain? I love the guy but that would be a ridiculous decision.

Probably, but who else could take it? Goldson maybe, but I don't really like him.  Halliday? Not really good as he is essentially just a squad player. McCrorie? If he could pass properly he could be the new Barry Ferguson, but I just can't see it. Who would you make our captain? Cause Tav just isn't captain material. 

1 hour ago, ChampionsAgain said:

I would really consider playing Flanagan at Rb vs Hibs. 

Tav looks knackered.

This. We need one last big performance from Tav this year, and that's against the Tims. Even if he;s benched just in case Flanagan is woeful. We've played 38 games so far, and he's played every minute. That's a whole domestic league season before Christmas. No matter how good you are, you need a break at some point. 

1 hour ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Not at all. Not discrediting Tavernier at all.

Was a brilliant goal cos of the way Morelos put it away.

Which wouldn't have been possible if the ball hadn't been put exactly where he wanted it.

Morelos pulled the defender back to create the space so he could then cut across him... as long as the ball is put into the area he's created the space for.

Great striking play and a great cross. Each played their part in making the other. 

Tav looks knackered.

If it wasn't such a big two games for us id agree , but these are must win games and we need our best players for them . He's certainly due a break , let's hope he can hang in there for another couple of games before the winter break . 

17 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Probably, but who else could take it? Goldson maybe, but I don't really like him.  Halliday? Not really good as he is essentially just a squad player. McCrorie? If he could pass properly he could be the new Barry Ferguson, but I just can't see it. Who would you make our captain? Cause Tav just isn't captain material. 

I would leave it on Tav. Stripping him of it when there are no other obvious candidates to take it for no other reason than a few people on a forum saying he isn’t captain material would just cause more unrest and disruption that we don’t need.

54 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Loyalty no longer exists for professional footballers, they (quite rightly) will always want to move on to better themselves (proffesionally or financially), and they're agents will be enthisiastically pushing them along.

It's not even as if we were his boyhood idols or anything, but I suspect he already likes us a lot, and especially Gerrard. 

Agreed. But if he was the captain at a club our size, you never know. 

Tav is a very good player. Wouldn't be my first choice as captain but it ain't his fault that there's not many other good options.

His defensive capabilities were heavily criticized doing the Warburton era as he was often posted missing, but this was partly due to our tactics which encouraged our full backs to attack without sufficient cover.

He's actually a decent defender and can be very good going forward. But he needs to work on his consistency. One minutes he's wipping in a beautiful Beckhamess cross, the next it row Z. 

Whether he'd improve surrounded by better players remains to be seen, but for now he's one of our top players along with McGregor and Morelos.

Tav looks knackered.

Which is a good point, but when I think of athletes like tennis players, they play at a high level and run miles every game along the base line then do it again the next day then 2 days later and so on. If the likes of Andy Murray, Roger Federer, and the rest even Venus Williams can run that far at top level. How can footballers not cope with 2/3 games a week when a lot of the time, they are just jogging to stay in position? Obviously they do different training but how can footballers not get that stamina that tennis players need? 

We apparently have top quality sports scientists... 

2 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Which is a good point, but when I think of athletes like tennis players, they play at a high level and run miles every game along the base line then do it again the next day then 2 days later and so on. If the likes of Andy Murray, Roger Federer, and the rest even Venus Williams can run that far at top level. How can footballers not cope with 2/3 games a week when a lot of the time, they are just jogging to stay in position? Obviously they do different training but how can footballers not get that stamina that tennis players need? 

We apparently have top quality sports scientists... 

Might not win the league but we'll be in with a chance of winning Wimbledon..

The criticism of Tav really pisses me off. Mcgregor,  Candeais and Tav seem to me to be the only players who understand we have to win every came and put 100% in to every game . He is constantly pushing forward and encouraging others to do the same. If he had a better attacking player in front of him, he could play balls in behind more often instead of having to cross or try to beat a man nearly every time. If we had a team of tav's we would have no problems winning this league.

p.s. I am not Tav