Left Back Position

MrMckee

2 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Players excelling shouldn't lose their jersey. Whilst I think Barasic is better and will become our permanent left back, for me it's Halliday to start next game, and his jersey to lose.

That's it 100%. I'm a big fan of Barasic but halliday has earnt that starting position and he needs to take it off of him. Imagine thinking in summer that Andy halliday out of position was keeping the world cup runners up' left back out of the team!? He has Genuinley been exceptional. He has done better at left back than he has ever done as a cm.

The problem of left backs is a good one to have when we are winning

When we are struggling , all of them leave me less than convinced. tbh 

Halliday keeps the jersey for his consistency and his OF performance .

It has been a concern the amount of times Bara has been injured though

9 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

No doubt Borna is the better left back but it is horses for courses.

I was pondering this after Saturday and wondered if Borna could have done a better job than Halliday on the day.

Absolutely not for me . Halliday was in their faces from the off . His attitude was what was needed in this game .

Barisic is the first choice LB he just can't seem to remain fit.  When he first joined he had a run of games and set up a number of goals.  The free-kick for Goldson against St.Mirren, put in two balls against Motherwell, created the goal away to Valencia as well.  His ability to get forward and support the attack and at set-pieces will be a huge asset for us.

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/Rangers/news/17351721.steven-gerrard-challenges-borna-barisic-and-eros-grezda-to-make-their-mark-at-Rangers-in-the-second-half-of-the-season/

Steven Gerrard challenges Borna Barisic and Eros Grezda to make their mark at Rangers in the second half of the season

By Christopher Jack  @Chris_Jack89

STEVEN GERRARD has challenged summer signings Borna Barisic and Eros Grezda to prove their quality for Rangers in the second half of the season.      

The pair made the move to Ibrox from Croatian outfit Osijek in the summer and put pen-to-paper on four-year deals with the Light Blues. Left-back Barisic has impressed when given his chance by boss Gerrard but injuries have prevented him putting together a sustained run of performances this term. He missed the festive fixtures with Hibernian and celtic but joined up with the Gers at their winter training base in Tenerife last week. Grezda, meanwhile, has struggled to prove himself and has been in and out of the team so far as youngster Glenn Middleton has been the back-up option to wingers Daniel Candeias and Ryan Kent. The Albanian is waiting to discover the extent of a knock picked up in training on Thursday and will continue to be assessed by Rangers’ medical team.

And boss Gerrard is keen to see the duo make an impression at Ibrox in the coming weeks and months.

He said: “Borna has had a lot of injuries and Grezda came injured. This trip is almost like a reset button for both of them and need to use the next two weeks as a mini pre-season to get their bodies ready to cope with the physical demands of Scotland and the regular game schedule.  

“There’s no doubt both have got quality. Borna has shown that regularly when he’s played but we haven’t had him fit enough so he needs to get more robust.

“Grezda has got it all to prove. He needs to push himself to prove to everyone he’s capable of being a Rangers player.

First and foremost he needs to win a shirt because at the moment the players who played against celtic have got the shirts and rightly so.

“He has to show to us in the coming weeks that he wants to win a shirt back and when he gets his opportunity take it and find consistency.”

====

Whilst he's referring to Grezda there, it's an interesting highlighted section that shows his view that those who excelled against the scum, Halliday included I'd imagine, have got the jersey for now. As it should be.

I also think he's bang on with his comments, and it's great to see him giving them justified challenges like this.

Halliday should continue at LB until he shows a poor run of form. Which may or may not happen as he’s been very good in that position. But we know with Andy consistency is his downfall 

side note - I have noticed he’s stopped rolling around in faux pain like a 12 yr old after a tackle.   That’s pleasing to see.