Jermain Defoe first day at Rangers training gallery.

plumbGER

17 hours ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Obviously there are no guarantees in football but I'm struggling to think of the last time we signed a player that has created genuine excitement prior to their debut. Can't wait to see him play.

Laudrup

de Boer

Gazza

Butcher

Flo

and

wee Ian Black 

17 hours ago, Tomatasauce said:

20-25 years ago it was a miracle if you played beyond 35 unless you were a gk, but with the game evolving over the years and players getting more protection from officials plus all the other things clubs do now sports science etc. Players careers should last longer 

I don't think it's about protection tbh it's more to do with sports scientists now being involved at clubs so players eat right, train right and live right. 25 years ago footballers were smoking, drinking and eating whatever they wanted so unless you took care of yourself then you were free to do what you wanted.

I think we are and will see more and more players lasting until they reach their late 30's at a decent level.

2 hours ago, The Godfather said:

I don't think it's about protection tbh it's more to do with sports scientists now being involved at clubs so players eat right, train right and live right. 25 years ago footballers were smoking, drinking and eating whatever they wanted so unless you took care of yourself then you were free to do what you wanted.

I think we are and will see more and more players lasting until they reach their late 30's at a decent level.

True mate defo was more dangerous tackles back then too that are illegal nowadays 

5 hours ago, The Godfather said:

I actually think that this mentality has only recently found it's way into Scottish Football. Probably just after we went down. 

Davis looks ridiculously leaner to what he was when he was last here. EPL clubs obviously have their players living an athlete lifestyle.

Keeping Defoe fit is the key to this transfer. If so, he will score plenty but he has been prone to injury throughout his career and the hammer throwers will target him. Because of his size, I'm sure he has endured this his entire football life so fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Keeping Defoe fit is the key to this transfer. If so, he will score plenty but he has been prone to injury throughout his career and the hammer throwers will target him. Because of his size, I'm sure he has endured this his entire football life so fingers crossed.

563 club appearances and 57 international caps

Played some amount of matches for somebody that’s been prone to injury throughout his career.