Andy Murray Retires

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

This has nothing to do with politics.  If you think for one minute he wasn’t proud to represent GB as a proud Scot then you need your head looked at.  it is possible to be both - only in the narrow Anglophobic world that your SNP are trying to create is it impossible to be both a proud Scot and a proud Brit.

I'm winding you up, I knew the Scotland comment would piss somebody off, your an actual child, so easy to wind up 😂

It is sad he was forced to retire. I loved watching him play. When he helped GB win the Davis Cup, that epic olympic final in Rio against Del Potro, he has given us all so many great memories.

He is a 2 time Olympic gold medalist, not even the great Federer can say that.

6 hours ago, RS4_wul said:

I disagree mate.

Early in his career he did lack the mental strength of top sportsmen and often got frustrated, lost the rag.

But I believe in the last few years he learned how to control that frustration more often than not.

Those 3 players you mention are arguably the best ever to hold a racket and Murray was incredibly unlucky to be in the same era as them. All 3 unreal.

I think saying he wasn't at their level is like saying a footballer isn't at the level of Ronaldo or Messi though I get what you're saying about needing  that mental toughness to get to their level, I just disagree, I think Murray had that.  

Those 3 are just on another planet from any other tennis players........ever.

Djokovic and Federer are both freaks of nature and ridiculously good tennis players, Murray done well to win 3 slams during his career challenging those 2 and Nadal. 

I think his mental toughness was exceptional and he never knew when he was beat imo. 

He had bags of character and determination. 

Sure we can both agree that he was a genuinely proper world class sportsmen. 

I don’t think he was unlucky to be around at the same time of the other three - I doubt he’d have reached the standards he did, without their presence. Murray’s mental strengths lay mainly in the determination to succeed. When he failed he would always say he’d work harder and harder - perhaps he had to work smarter? Regarding ‘he never knew when he was beat’, I’d say it was the exact opposite. It was clear as day when Murray knew he was beat - body language and interaction with his team changed as if a switch was flicked.

He was also fortunate, imo, to have it portrayed as there being four players at the top of tennis, especially, when Wawrinka won just as many grand slams as Andy did. On the subject of Wawrinka,  If I was Andy Murray, I’d be a bit fucked off at the realisation that I didn’t win any more grand slams than him.

Where he was unlucky, was meeting grand slam winners in his first grand slam finals - those finals taught him how to lose the biggest matches. He saw the guy on the other side being able to step up at the most important points and he couldn’t. The others  faced non grand slam winners in their first finals, which was a huge advantage for them. If Murray had faced a player like Cilic or Wawrinka is his first grand slam final, he may have gone on and won more.

Overall, he was a fantastic, world class tennis player - the best we’ve ever had in this country.

I don’t mind him and I think he’s possibly the greatest British tennis player we’ll ever see. I think it’s a shame that an injury has caused him to retire and I hope he stays in the game in some role such as coaching. Hopefully this also means we’ll be seeing less of his dried up attention seeking witch of a mother

2 hours ago, berkshirebear said:

Thats utter b.s about not being strong enough mentally tbh

His record in grand slam finals suggests one of three things - not talented enough, not good enough physically or not mentally strong enough. Or a combination, I suppose. I don’t think his talent or fitness was ever in doubt.

1 minute ago, left winger said:

His record in grand slam finals suggests one of three things - not talented enough, not good enough physically or not mentally strong enough. Or a combination, I suppose. I don’t think his talent or fitness was ever in doubt.

Was his brother not suppose to be better when they were younger he just didn't have the drive for it?

5 hours ago, cushynumber said:

That is intensely sad. I feel privileged to have watched him.

I felt the same when I read the news online this morning. On the drive to work I heard him getting emotionally upset about it. Having avidly followed him since he 1st broke thru. in

Being so delighted with his 1st Grand Slam victory at the U.S. Open and over the moon when he won Wimbledon.

Now a few hours later after a days work I'm less sympathetic and wish I could retire on just 10% of what he has left to live on. He will be able to spend some quality time with his kids and a job in the media is almost guaranteed. He doesn't need to be playing tennis to survive and his achievements will stand the test of time.

He's been really unlucky in the last couple of years because Djokovic's loss of form would have brought him more "slams" if only he had ket his fitness.

I wonder if he will talk about what happened at school all those years ago when he becomes an ex-tennis player? Perhaps it would help to let it out?

6 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

He's been really unlucky in the last couple of years because Djokovic's loss of form would have brought him more "slams" if only he had ket his fitness.

I wonder if he will talk about what happened at school all those years ago when he becomes an ex-tennis player? Perhaps it would help to let it out?

I highly doubt he wants to talk about how scores of weans got mowed down by a lunatic.

6 hours ago, Docspawn said:

Think I’m the only one here that couldn’t stick him. To be fair it wasn’t so much him as the BBC’s love affair with him. Always referred to as ‘Andy Murray’ not just Andy or just Murray and as for his mother.....ahh just makes me seethe for some reason.

Ah feel better now ...

Gave you a like because I can't stand his mum!! She makes my blood boil 😂😂

cant believe how quickly it all seems to have come and gone for him as well. An entire career where he has been low and then reached the hights and then its all over - in almost the blink of an eye. 

I remember staying up way late to watch his US open triumph and I remember going to the pub early to get a good seat when he won his first Wimbledon and i remember the lob over Goffin to win the Davis cup and it just seems like yesterday.

He done really well in a freakish era with three other unbelievable talents, he was driven leaving nothing on the court after giving his all every game.

Once the top three are out the game in the next few years it will be interesting to see which of the newbies are fighting it out for the majors.

Proper legend and shame it's finished this way. Could hardly walk at the end of his Wimbledon defeat in 2017, which came when he was still the world no. 1. One criticism I have was that I always felt he could have been more aggressive in games rather than being the counter-puncher but a tremendous credit to his sport.