Jump to content
.Williamson.

Return always on mind after painful exit - Davis

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

See tbh, I was offered lots of jobs earning an awful lot more money when I finished my apprenticeship but liked my home comforts and getting home at a decent time from work every night.

I stayed loyal to my employer long term and have been happy all my life so not sure the money argument stacks up, it only would if you were greedy.

 

You wouldn't be getting get paid off in your 30s either tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

Don't worry about it mate, like everyone thought @cushynumber was about 30 but it turned out he's in his 50's with a son of near 30 that's only learnt to drive recently 

:lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BlueMe said:

You wouldn't be getting get paid off in your 30s either tbh.

Not factually correct, when you are a 21 year old newly time served tradesman you have no idea what the future holds. Injuries, illnesses, family circumstances and other things can happen that prevent you working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Not factually correct, when you are a 21 year old newly time served tradesman you have no idea what the future holds. Injuries, illnesses, family circumstances and other things can happen that prevent you working.

Same as a footballer then, but with the added guarantee of being paid off in your 30s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Not factually correct, when you are a 21 year old newly time served tradesman you have no idea what the future holds. Injuries, illnesses, family circumstances and other things can happen that prevent you working.

To be fair in recent times if you've decided to serve as an apprentice tradesman you've known full well what you're getting yourself into.

Like you'd be entering that thinking I wonder when I'm getting laid off 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Not factually correct, when you are a 21 year old newly time served tradesman you have no idea what the future holds. Injuries, illnesses, family circumstances and other things can happen that prevent you working.

Aye but not like you go into every boiler fitting thinking it could be your last job. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Same as a footballer then, but with the added guarantee of being paid off in your 30s.

Not really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

To be fair in recent times if you've decided to serve as an apprentice tradesman you've known full well what you're getting yourself into.

Like you'd be entering that thinking I wonder when I'm getting laid off 

Not so sure about that mate, seen plenty boys start apprenticeships and fail to grasp the job (not just my trade) and fall by the way-side and not complete it.

Tbf I remember when I started my time there were older guys who were as cynical as fuck and used to tell me I'd be lucky to finish my time in here cos the place was fucked, doomed, receivers will be in soon etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CoopsLaud said:

Aye but not like you go into every boiler fitting thinking it could be your last job. 

Pretty sure footballers don't go around signing for teams thinking that either tbf.

In fact we sign guys who want to use us as a stepping stone to the EPL.

*edit* and if you don't fit the boiler correctly it could be your last job so you have to keep all your paperwork up to date and remain compliant with regulations.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlueMe said:

The players who left will always divide the support tbh mate.

Both sides have their opinions and that's fair enough. Everyone on here (except @Smile) wants our team to be successful, and there's no denying Davis will improve our midfield.

Fenian attention seeker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

That's fine, just don't hit us with the boyhood Rangers fan patter. 

But he was that never changed. To say he wasn’t and isn’t a fav of the club is just ludicrous and reeks of fans looking for a fall guy.

The club shafted the players not vice versa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlueMe said:

He probably was a boyhood Rangers fan tbh. 

If i worked for Rangers but got offered a higher paid job elsewhere, i would leave, and I'm a season ticket holder.

It's easy people saying it's not comparable because it's not a normal job, but to a footballer, with a short career, that is their normal job. 

A short career where you can earn money that will set you and your children's families up for life. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:lol: .... this thread.

The heart of the matter is this .... not one of us have been in their position or had an employer who paid as much money as The Rangers were paying them at the time.

Everyone of them would have stayed primarily for the money ... the narrative of .... "I have Loved this Club all my life and would die for them" ... is utter pish that has been proven by their actions in 2012.

The only people who can truly say that they have loved the Club all their lives and would die for it are the supporters .... and possibly some of the older players .... none who left in 2012 can claim this belief ... it's bullshit.

So to bring in fans own personal work choice situations and having children into this debate .... as a reason for understanding why any of these players left the Club .... is ludicrous and unrealistic.

Yes as time passes ... and the pain of the events diminishes slightly .... and the present becomes what is important .... we can all mellow a bit ... but please don't be fooled ... they left us for dead.

Simply put .... They had the choice to TUPE over to the new holding company .... applied for transfers and had them granted ... allowing them to go to another club where they could continue with their careers and lavish lifestyles ... which they all got courtesy of The Rangers FC .... thereby leaving gracefully and getting the Club a fair transfer fee ... and into the bargain getting the "understanding" of the support as a given.

They chose to take the more controversial  route ... one that has caused the fracture of opinions amongst our support ....Why they left ... we can ... to differing degrees "understand"...... How they actually left has left a distinct sour taste ..... that will only  dissipate when they are all in retirement .... and our Club ... not there's ... ours ... will finally be allowed to continue forward as always ... with new players to replace the old ones ... who unfortunately left under a cloud.

:UK:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

A short career where you can earn money that will set you and your children's families up for life. 

That's the point I'm making mate, Davis has earned £17m since he left. He would have made a comfortable living with Rangers, definitely, but now his whole family will be comfortable and his kids family, for life, and he doesn't need to worry about what he does when he retires. Nobody's saying no to that because of the team they support, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

That's the point I'm making mate, Davis has earned £17m since he left. He would have made a comfortable living with Rangers, definitely, but now his whole family will be comfortable and his kids family, for life, and he doesn't need to worry about what he does when he retires. Nobody's saying no to that because of the team they support, imo.

He would've still been a millionaire if he had stayed, and would've retired a hero in the eyes of the support. 

So he earnt £17m when he left us, so why are we all constantly told that their careers were in jeapordy back in 2012 if they hadn't have left? McGregor, Naismith and Davis were always going to be on high wages wherever they went as they were cracking players at the time. 

The whole they had to leave to save their careers line is absolute pish, they were players in their prime they were hardly going to end up playing in the Juniors :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

The heart of the matter is this .... not one of us have been in their position or had an employer who paid as much money as The Rangers were paying them at the time.

Never tried selling drugs mate? Make a fortune down our neck of the woods, not my scene though because I like to shut both eyes when I go to sleep.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

So to bring in fans own personal work choice situations and having children into this debate .... as a reason for understanding why any of these players left the Club .... is ludicrous and unrealistic.

Mate, You do realise that I brought my own work circumstances into it to counter the old argument about them having lifestyles to uphold and bills to pay because the more they earn the more they spend etc.

My tongue was firmly lodged in my cheek and I'm surprised at the people who backed the players to go on ahead and leave as it's a short career etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

He would've still been a millionaire if he had stayed, and would've retired a hero in the eyes of the support. 

So he earnt £17m when he left us, so why are we all constantly told that their careers were in jeapordy back in 2012 if they hadn't have left? McGregor, Naismith and Davis were always going to be on high wages wherever they went as they were cracking players at the time. 

The whole they had to leave to save their careers line is absolute pish, they were players in their prime they were hardly going to end up playing in the Juniors :lol:

Take the blue specs off and see things from the real world ffs!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

He would've still been a millionaire if he had stayed, and would've retired a hero in the eyes of the support. 

So he earnt £17m when he left us, so why are we all constantly told that their careers were in jeapordy back in 2012 if they hadn't have left? McGregor, Naismith and Davis were always going to be on high wages wherever they went as they were cracking players at the time. 

The whole they had to leave to save their careers line is absolute pish, they were players in their prime they were hardly going to end up playing in the Juniors :lol:

If you've got £10k in the bank, what would you say to someone if they told you that was enough, why do you need any more? Just because someone's a millionaire, doesn't mean they don't want to make more money, we all live our lives based on our incomes, you earn more you spend more.

We couldn't afford to keep them in the lower leagues, obviously, and they got offers to play at a higher level and make crazy money doing it. I understand the argument saying they could have stayed and got the club a transfer fee, but from the players point of view, when's that happening? And where's the wages coming from in the meantime.

Plus, the attraction for a lot of the teams getting these players was the fact they were paying little or next to nothing for them. That might not have been the case if they were paying fees for them.

I can see where your coming from mate, definitely, and the players could've and probably should've handled the situation differently, but the end result would've been the same. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

We couldn't afford to keep them in the lower leagues, obviously, and they got offers to play at a higher level and make crazy money doing it. I understand the argument saying they could have stayed and got the club a transfer fee, but from the players point of view, when's that happening? And where's the wages coming from in the meantime.

Plus, the attraction for a lot of the teams getting these players was the fact they were paying little or next to nothing for them. That might not have been the case if they were paying fees for them.

All they had to do was wait a few weeks until the window opened, and left if they wanted to whilst giving the club a respectable fee for their services. 

That's literally all they had to do, nobody hates Maurice Edu e.g for leaving, because he left in the right way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

All they had to do was wait a few weeks until the window opened, and left if they wanted to whilst giving the club a respectable fee for their services. 

That's literally all they had to do, nobody hates Maurice Edu e.g for leaving, because he left in the right way. 

They could've waited, but who knows what offers they were getting then, if any at all. If a larger fee was involved, that could've affected any transfer. 

We did get a fee for Davis remember, not his true value, but we were never getting that at the time for any of the players anyway. 

Bocanegra and Goian stayed and it ended up costing a fortune to get them off the books. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being TUPE’d gives you the opportunity to break your contract and walk away if you choose. It’s easy for people on the outside to say they’d stay, take a pay cut, play for nothing etc. when they’ll never be in that position. It’s like those posts saying “if I won the Euromillions, I’d give the club £25m”. No you wouldn’t! It’s always easy to spend someone else’s money.

I remember Green in the media saying he’d bought the club so he’d bought the players and they’re going nowhere. That would immediately alienate me. Playing for a top team at the peak of your career and suddenly find that, if you’re able to play anywhere, it’ll be in one of the poorest quality leagues in Europe with at least three years of your short career until you get back to the top and all but writing off any international career.

On top of that, the club couldn’t sustain the wage bill so major cuts were being touted contrary to your contracted salary.

As much as I love Rangers, playing at that level while being viewed as someone’s personal possession and facing an uncertain future regarding salary and career, then I think I may have chosen to quietly slip away while expressing regret at the turn of events.

Some went about it the wrong way but I can’t really criticise their decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who gives a shit? Davis was proved right in his move and played very good stuff in England. We were in a dire situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Bocanegra and Goian stayed and it ended up costing a fortune to get them off the books. 

Was just going to mention them. Lauded for “doing the right thing” when in reality they had no intention of staying, were too old to make us a few or ever come back when we got back to the top and ultimately just wanted to milk us for a pay off before they fucked off. Think it cost us £1,000,000 to get rid of them in the end IIRC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×