Reflection on the Warburton era

Ben10

53 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

See this urban myth that we played great football under Warburton. 

We played some boring as fuck tippy tappy going nowhere football. 

the football we played n that Semi-final versus the scum was a joy to watch but sadly we were unable to do that on a consistent basis 

I remember it as just another false dawn. There was a lot of hype about this magic hat gentleman master technician, - well the gentleman part was probably right. (I know he was brilliant in dealing with the people involved with the bus crash)

At a game early on when he arrived Willie Miller said “Rangers are playing football the way it should be played “ but the other teams soon realised there was no plan B and his grand ideas soon fizzled out. He was naive at best. 

And then Pedro arrived....

45 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

At a game early on when he arrived Willie Miller said “Rangers are playing football the way it should be played “ but the other teams soon realised there was no plan B and his grand ideas soon fizzled out. He was naive at best. 

I don't think Warburton was naïve, I think he was stubborn, and a refusal to change or adapt finished his managerial career.

6 hours ago, EatDolphins said:

We haven't actually achieved anything yet tbf but it does feel like we are capable again which is immeasurably valuable. 

I would consider reaching the group stages of the Europa League with a new team an achievement. It wasnt even a target, considering the qualifiers. Then beating celtic comfortably. Im not saying he has won anything, but those are achievements beyond all expectation. 

I loved his first season, the cup final did us, but he won the league, we beat them and we finally won the challenge cup...

But id like to add to some of the major frustrations mentioned above and reasons I'm glad he left.

- plan b is to do plan a better - utter shite and made us predictable after half a season

- constantly trying to pass the ball out from the back. Don't mind that, but sometimes it's right to mix it up, especially when teams clocked on to it and just pressed high.

- the standard statement of, disappointed but we'll train hard, do the right things on the training pitch and go again statements.

- his handling of the Barton situation, my gut tells me Barton was right. Didn't think it at the time, but I think Warburton got it wrong and he made a bad situation worse.

- his love in for young epl players on loan and English lower league journeyman. If we'd stuck with him, we'd never have got morelos, candeias etc

- his Jordan rossiter 7-10 days pish.

- the way he left. The board acted on it and I'm glad they did. Shame they cocked up on his replacement. Think we'd have finished 2nd under Warburton that season, but that's irrespective now.

All of these things make me appreciate Gerrard more. He's everything Warburton wasn't. Yes he has learnings to make, but, he tells it how it is. He will mix it up and his style of football is far less predictable than Warburton's. 

6 hours ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Warburton talked a good game but he just didn't play it.

He studied all the "best" teams in Europe and tried to emulate that style in Scotland. Worked for a while but once Stubbs sussed how to counter our tactics everyone followed suit and we had some awful performances in that Championship.

For all the talk about hydration levels, pitch geography and having a template of a player to play for Rangers it never really happened.

Gerrard is a winner, the only thing to elude him really at club level was the Premier League, had he left Liverpool he'd have got that too but he is fiercely loyal as well. Those attributes as well as having a strong backroom team (that he trusts implicitly) and knowing the game inside out has also helped.

The other thing I'd mention is that Gerrard has Mark Allen and Warburton went with McParland.

I think fondly of the first 3 months of Warburton's stint and also the semi final as the feeling was unreal but he was never going to cut it here.

I think that says it all . 

As a man , I liked Warburton , but he lacked the ruthless streak that separated winners from losers . 

6 hours ago, yermaw145 said:

This might be premature, but given the fact that Mr Gerrard has already surpassed his two predecessors in achievements in less than half a season I feel comfortable making this review. 

I will always have a soft spot for Mark Warburton. I consider him an important part of the story. I realise there is a lot of bitterness about his exit and whoever was to blame in that episode is up to individual interpretation. That was a great season, we played stunning football against the taigs and deservedly won. 

I dont think we ever recovered from that final, i know i havent. It cast a dark shadow over the upcoming season and i think things would have went differently going into the premiership after winning the Scottish cup. 

Always liked Warburton, still do, but he wasnt going to take us forward. Wish him all the best  in his career, not to forget he signed Tav, an under rated player IMO. Now we have a ‘manager’, a ‘winner’ here to deliver 55.

God bless Steven Gerrard

FTP 🇬🇧

1 minute ago, orange&blue92 said:

Nail on the heid mate, he was too ‘nice’ to be a consistent winner

Yeah , what's the old saying - nice people win nothing  - or words to that effect . I wish him well , but it became clear that we weren't going any further forward with him after a while . 

20 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Yeah , what's the old saying - nice people win nothing  - or words to that effect . I wish him well , but it became clear that we weren't going any further forward with him after a while . 

We need a ruthless winner, just like what Gerrard has shown to date, he reminds me of Sir Walter of Smith, along way to go to be in the same catergory as him, but the early signs are promising. We have a no bullshit winner at the helm.

We are back 🇬🇧

5 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

See this urban myth that we played great football under Warburton. 

We played some boring as fuck tippy tappy going nowhere football. 

got to agree with this the early season games were excellent up to about October but it kind of went dull after that and there is only 2 matches after that point that was like early season form one was couple of days after Christmas against hibs when we won 4-2 and then the taigs in April when we beat them on penalty's

8 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Was scrapping  the barrel cos he had no money to spend.

Think too many people have been over critical of him given the circumstances.

The Cup final though sadly will always be down to him.

This, didnt he go for two centre halves, lose them both due to wages, and we ended up with senderos

Gerrard has already improved us more than pedro and Warburton, but given gerrard is probably spending way more on wages and transfer fees than the other two then he should be doing better 

Warburton was what we needed at the time. He brought some structure to the football side of the organisation and some professionalism in the initial hiring and definition of roles. We would be much stronger today if he was an option a couple of years earlier. 

However, longer term he proved to be tactically weak, a poor man-manager and made a catastrophic misjudgement in McParland. He was definitely more of a Director of Football than a manager. 

As a few have said above, both Warburton and Caixinha brought something to the club but nowhere near enough. Gerrard feels so much more like the real thing. 

Think everyone seen the cup final defeat coming after the players downed tools after the semi final. We were brutal for the last 4 or 5 games of the season. Think we probably would have won it against a premiership team from that season like Dundee utd who hibs knocked out or even Aberdeen. Hibs knew how to set up against us after already playing us 5 times previously that season. 

Warburton got  nowhere near the same budget as Gerrard, He was buying players for £75k , £100k, 200k etc,.

Gerrard has done nothing yet,. We have Killie away , Livi away and Aberdeen away not long after we start back and if we are gonna be challengers we need to take 9pts from those games along with 6pts from St mirren and Sj Johnstone.  

We have dropped far too many silly points this season and we should be at least 5 points clear of the filth.

Gerrard would be the first to tell the players they have won fuck all yet and to knuckle down as hard work wins leagues 

3 hours ago, TheMotor said:

Warburton was what we needed at the time. He brought some structure to the football side of the organisation and some professionalism in the initial hiring and definition of roles. We would be much stronger today if he was an option a couple of years earlier. 

However, longer term he proved to be tactically weak, a poor man-manager and made a catastrophic misjudgement in McParland. He was definitely more of a Director of Football than a manager. 

As a few have said above, both Warburton and Caixinha brought something to the club but nowhere near enough. Gerrard feels so much more like the real thing. 

Warbs should not be mentioned in the same breath as Caixinha ( Who should have been nowhere near Ibrox the first place).

Warbs bought how many players and we made profits off most of them with the exception be Garner,. How much is Tav worth now ? Even Fords is worth £1m at least, then Waghorn who I was not a fan off goes for £7m after he left us ,  he also did the same at Brentford.

The truth be told Super  Ally ballsed it up from the off set and then the whole  Caixinha's disaster. I said on here after the filth pumped us 2-0 in the semi going on 6 and then a week later pumping us 5-1 at Ibrox he should be sacked immediately or he went at the end of the season, but we kept him and he wasted £3m on Pena and Herrera in a campaign over by mid September. 

After Warbs we went backwards again until Gerrard took the reigns and appointed very good back room staff, but he has a far greater budget than Warbs ever had and is spending it wisely which is good to see as the capture of Defoe along with Davis is a great piece of business by Gerrard and the type of players who can walk into the team.  

Been said by so many on here already but his complete inability to change was his downfall. I accept he wanted to play a possession game but sometimes you have to go direct when the game is congested and we often went nowhere with the ball. He did bring in Tav but that signing also tells all about him, it's like a shite Brazil 70 side where everyone should be good on the ball and attack attack attack.

The soft underbelly was found out in the second half of the Champ season, conceding 3 at Falkirk (despite being 2 up), Hivs and Raith, before the cup final. Defence was as soft as a baby's first shite, there was rarely any protection for the 2xCB's because the full backs pushed on so much.  That in itself wasn't rectified going in to the top league and was his eventual undoing, having underestimated the step up because we'd beaten Dundee, Kilmarnock and the mhanks on the way to that final. Proud, naive, whatever, just not good enough and couldn't recognise (or refused to see) what the rest of us could. Barton was right in his summation of him but he also brought Barton to be the protection for the 2xCB's and he didn't have the pace to get around the park. 

Like it or not warburton fitted the image of a Rangers manager, after mccoist and his trackie and kenny mcdowall not even wanting the gig, he at least looked the part and spoke well. As much as i think he was limited as a manger i still think he steadied the ship and allowed us to at least think about progressing up the leagues to where we all thought we should be. Yes his substitutions were regular as clockwork, wether they were required or not, and he spouted pish about pitch geography etc i still feel when we look back it felt (if not actually was) a turning point in the dark times.

The less said about his replacement the better though...........