What was it like to go through 9/10 seasons of not winning the League?

McEwan's Lager

More a question for older bears but for most people my age the last few years have been torture but we haven’t really known anything better than us competing all the time.

So what was it actually like going for so long without a league title?

When I was born it wasn’t until I was about 9 that we didn’t win a league title. I just thought we won it every season 😂 

But people like my old man lived through Kilmarnock winning the league then their 9, then a period of them, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen winning titles where we finished 4th and 5th a few times.

5 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Brilliant I'd imagine mate

I’ve realised I’ve fucked this 😂 

I was more looking for comparisons.

Like in the 60s-70s league drought we played in two European finals and in the 70s-80s drought we had a couple of decent European runs and won a few Scottish Cups and League Cups.

We haven’t done either in this drought. 

9 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I’ve realised I’ve fucked this 😂 

I was more looking for comparisons.

Like in the 60s-70s league drought we played in two European finals and in the 70s-80s drought we had a couple of decent European runs and won a few Scottish Cups and League Cups.

We haven’t done either in this drought. 

giphy-downsized (10).gif

11 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

The same as going through 9/10 seasons winning the league, supporting Rangers, that's all it's ever meant to me, bad times, good times, swings and roundabouts, just love going to watch my team. 

I’m the same mate.

People on here who know me personally know how much it means to me to be able to go to a game as I haven’t had much of a chance for most of my life.

11 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

The same as going through 9/10 seasons winning the league, supporting Rangers, that's all it's ever meant to me, bad times, good times, swings and roundabouts, just love going to watch my team. 

‘Good or bad, happy or sad it will always be Rangers for me’

That song sums it up for me mate 

I said to my boy who is 12 that he is quite fortunate in the respect that he has seen us at our worst and only better can come for him he will watch us rise back to the top of Scottish football and for him it will be like coming from nowhere and winning everything (fingers crossed) sad to say but he has never seen us where we belong 

5 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

Exactly, well put.

When we won the league in 1964 I was only seven so it was an indescribable feeling to stand on the Easter Road terracing at eighteen and finally see Rangers become league champions. 

But all through the barren years of their nine in a row we always knew we were the bigger, more superior club. They were the small time, classless outfit who got lucky for a time - we knew it, and they knew it. Quite similar to today.

This is the kind of post I’m looking for!

I starting going to games in 1968 and it was 1975 before we won the league. We got 1 league cup in 70 and the Scottish in 73 and bugger all domestically in those 7 or 8 years. We did win the ECWC in 72 which was a bonus. My old late grandfather once told me if I supported Rangers in these days I would support them for life. How correct he was. I remember being ill and had been off school the week leading up to us winning the league at Easter road in 75 and my mother wasn't going to let me go but my dad stepped in and basically told her not to be bloody stupid as I had waited 7 years for this day

The late 70-early 80s was fuckin brutal to be honest, when the team got read out nearly every player got booed, I used to sit in the old red section in the CR with my brother in law, we were the only fans in that row, the crowds were fuckin terrible, however we kept going to every game home and away, 1986 when Souness came it was a god send, when we won the league at the sheep and we were ecstatic, we held David Homes who brought Souness in up on our shoulders on the park, was mental. Now having been through both good and bad it's even more sweet watching us getting back to where we belong, RTID

Funny thing is I basically kid myself I am a "true" football fan and would have enjoyed myself just as much as a fan of a wee lower league club who only enjoyed the occasional appearance in the 5th round of the cup or got promoted and relegated every 5 years or so and often see more defeats than wins in a season.

But being a Rangers fan I can't, it's almost as if the success we have is the special icing on the big football cake, and I am more than happy to keep on enjoying the football and the success equally. 

My abiding memory of the 60/70's drought was that at least we were competing with them, and TBF they had some team then, and although it was tough to take at least you were able to stand on the terraces with all your mates and drink your carry out, we had some good players playing for us as well, wee bud, Colin Stein etc but as you said there was also some good European nights as well and tough as it was to take the early 80's was much harder to suffer IMO because we really did play some shite for most of it, and of coarse the sheep and dundee hivs produced excellent teams then and thank fuck for that otherwise that lot would probably have a couple more titles in there cupboard.

More recently at least we have the excuse of what happened re: admin but I really do take my hat off to the support especially the youngsters who could so easily drifted away but in that respect it is a wonderful reflection on how they were raised.

The early 80s were truly dire. The Scottish cup in 81 and 3 league cups, as far as the league went we weren't even also rans, hammered by chesterfield in the anglo Scottish cup was probably the lowest point. I honestly remember being delighted when we won the tennents sixes, it was that bad. Still had some good days out though.