What was it like to go through 9/10 seasons of not winning the League?

McEwan's Lager

Brilliant times them winning niar under Big Joe Canoe and the old Paedophile Football and Athletic Club winning the European Cup was probably the highlight of my childhood years - a fucking laugh a minute.   Thanks for the walk down memory lane 

As an ecstatic 19 year old I found myself at Shittodrie on 2nd May 1987. 

I had memories of the mighty Rangers (instilled by father & grandfather) and a vague recollection of greatness aged 11 but most of my teens hosted memories of what might have been, the elegance of Russell and the moodiness of Cooper, league struggles, midweek cup games and euro cup games. By and large I remember getting beat when it really mattered and McLean & Ferguson turning us down.

And then - BOOM!

Fuck me the arrogance was immense, Ferguson had gone to Man Utd and McLean looked a shadow of his former self but none of that was relevant - there was a new sheriff in town, and he got us.

What a season, fiercely contested, every Scottish club fought twice as hard against us as they did against every other team. Send offs galore, Masonic conspiracy theories and undermined by the Scottish press - our rookie manager didn’t have the experience to go all the way (wee bit of déjà vu). My memory tells me we walked it, the reality is we pipped it.

But fuck me I cried like a baby that day, the right to win wasn’t to be taken for granted and it felt sweet to be on top. By 1990 I just expected to win, and by and large we have, through most of my adult life.

1 hour ago, harlands plater said:

Exactly, well put.

When we won the league in 1964 I was only seven so it was an indescribable feeling to stand on the Easter Road terracing at eighteen and finally see Rangers become league champions. 

But all through the barren years of their nine in a row we always knew we were the bigger, more superior club. They were the small time, classless outfit who got lucky for a time - we knew it, and they knew it. Quite similar to today.

No need for me to add anything, fuck it's me word for word right down to the age 

1 hour ago, harlands plater said:

Exactly, well put.

When we won the league in 1964 I was only seven so it was an indescribable feeling to stand on the Easter Road terracing at eighteen and finally see Rangers become league champions. 

But all through the barren years of their nine in a row we always knew we were the bigger, more superior club. They were the small time, classless outfit who got lucky for a time - we knew it, and they knew it. Quite similar to today.

Form is temporary, class is permanent 

:UK:

Going through almost my entire school life with us not winning the league was interesting. 

Watching some of my turncoat mates (didn’t stay mates) jump ship to Aberdeen and Dundee Utd,, went back to to do 5th year just so I could ram it right down their throats. 

I think regardless if we bring 55 back this season or not, over the last few months since the SG reign it’s been great just to see what I view as basic club standards resumed in conduct, play and pride. If we don’t win this league (which in my mind is there for the taking) at least this season to date had brought me some genuine feel good moments and a real belief (at long last) we may be back on track to being where the club should be in Scotland and beyond...

Our team of the late sixties was a very good team who just failed to match an exceptional celtic team moulded into winners by a new style coach/ mznzger.

The early eighties team was dross made worse by us panic signing anyone in Scotland who had a fluke good game against us.

This time circumstances acted against us and gave them the freedom and time to build momentum and financial strength but when our time comes it will be sweet and awesome.

I am 55 so in the first 24 years of my life Rangers won the league 3 times and that was 3 in 4 years in the middle.

When I was growing up it seemed that we never won the league.

The match at Aberdeen in 1987 is something I will never forget. Just as the day we won the leaugue against Dunfermline at Ibrox, Helicopter Sunday were  and the day we win 55 will be.

When Wallace left in 78 and Greig took over it was absolute torture, we were the 4th best team in Scotland and all that after a after nearly winning the treble in 79 Greigs first season in charge, but we were a long way behind the sheep, tarriers and United and even Hearts emerged as a good team in 85 only to throw the title away to the beggars  not long after Souness was appointed  

I remember thinking this is never gonna end and when Souness was appointed and paraded in front of the Press before the Mexico World Cup, none of us could have imagined what was gonna be some of the best years as a Rangers fan, with first him, and then Sir Walter guiding us to the glorious 9.

86 pottodrie was my favourite ever league title along with the 9 in a row at tanndice , and who will ever forget  helicopter Sunday,? But 55 is gonna trump them all by a country mile and every player will be immortalised at Ibrox forever while the tarriers go into meltdown as order has been restored and they fucking know it. 

14 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Slightly off topic but reading this just made me think, I'm 24 and I've only ever seen in person us lift 2 top flight titles

Bit grim 😃

I went from something like primary 3 when we last one the league to the first year I left school,. But we made up for it by winning 10 out the next 11. 

12 hours ago, Don54 said:

No need for me to add anything, fuck it's me word for word right down to the age 

Ban this guy admin, obvious multi account.

Seriously, I love reading all the experiences of the older fans, guys like @Don54brings back so many great memories. Although I may not know them personally, it's nice to think I stood with them and  shared the same great memories. Might even have had direct contact, did you ever sell macaroon bars at a game @Don54 ? I was the wee guy with the blue, white and red knitted tammy who often bought them. Would be terrific if that guy was still around, automatic Hall Of Fame candidate.

Of course for me the late sixties and seventies are the most important, it was my decade of becoming a Gers fan. I think most of us Gers fans would agree that those first 10 years were the most important and enjoyable before the adult cynicism of later years catches up. And that's why I like to hear and the experiences of gers fans who came along in the 80s, 90s, right on into the 21st century. Just as exciting in their great days as mine there. And for older guys who grew up in 50s, those are stories I love to hear too, especially as there is not so much live footage. 

Reminds me of the quote from Trainspotting: 

Choose life ?

Naw fuck that, I chose supporting Rangers.

And it's been a great life enhancing experience. 

2 hours ago, tannerall said:

Ban this guy admin, obvious multi account.

Seriously, I love reading all the experiences of the older fans, guys like @Don54brings back so many great memories. Although I may not know them personally, it's nice to think I stood with them and  shared the same great memories. Might even have had direct contact, did you ever sell macaroon bars at a game @Don54 ? I was the wee guy with the blue, white and red knitted tammy who often bought them. Would be terrific if that guy was still around, automatic Hall Of Fame candidate.

Of course for me the late sixties and seventies are the most important, it was my decade of becoming a Gers fan. I think most of us Gers fans would agree that those first 10 years were the most important and enjoyable before the adult cynicism of later years catches up. And that's why I like to hear and the experiences of gers fans who came along in the 80s, 90s, right on into the 21st century. Just as exciting in their great days as mine there. And for older guys who grew up in 50s, those are stories I love to hear too, especially as there is not so much live footage. 

Reminds me of the quote from Trainspotting: 

Choose life ?

Naw fuck that, I chose supporting Rangers.

And it's been a great life enhancing experience. 

did you ever sell macaroon bars at a game @don54? f.f.s. gie's a break I was over 3 months from my 18th birthday that day, at the final whistle I was on a mate's shoulders and an auld cunt told me to get down I told him to fuck off I'd waited 11 years for this. Outwith games against the scum this was right up there as best moment ever following The Rangers. 

This game was the day I knew we were winning the league at long last

Tommy McLean played a blinder that day, and if iirc we had a goal chopped off too