Ricksen won't leave hospice

RFC55

What a sad sad state for an ex professional athlete 😞

STRICKEN Fernando Ricksen has revealed he’ll spend the rest of his life in a Scots hospice as he’s too ill to return home to Spain.

The Rangers legend, 42, has been moved to St Andrew’s Hospice in Airdrie after spending two months in hospital since taking unwell at a Gers tribute event.

And Ricksen - fighting MND - has revealed the heartbreaking news that he knows the rest of his life will be spent there - as he’s not well enough to ever fly home to Spain.

He said: “I know I will stay in this hospice for the rest of my life. I have no other choice but to accept it.”

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

Fernando told how it was his choice to be moved to St Andrew's - as it will improve his quality of life thanks to their caring staff.

He said: “I decided to visit here after being explained the options available to me by my doctors because I couldn’t fly home due to lack of oxygen.

“And when I visited here it felt I came home.

“The staff are amazing and I know that this would be the place where I want to spend the rest of my life.

I need professional care. I can’t stay in Spain anymore. This will be where I spend the rest of my life.

“I’ve been here three weeks and I’m so happy. I care here.

“This place is incredible and the staff is fantastic. My room is like home - exactly want I wanted.

“It was depressing at times being in hospital - but it’s not like that in a hospice. It feels like home.”

Stricken Fernando has been battling motor neurone disease since October 2013 - after revealing his diagnosis live on Dutch telly.

He later moved to Valencia, Spain, with wife Veronika, 32, and daughter Isabella, six, because the warm weather helped his health battle.

But over time he lost the ability to perform basic tasks like tying his shoelaces, and was left so drained by the battle that he had to use a wheelchair to get about

“I thought I would be out of hospital in a couple of days but a couple of days turned into a couple of weeks and I was there ten weeks.

“It was great on ward 6 of the hospital and the staff were amazing, but it was a busy hospital and I missed my own things.

“I was informed about other hospices by the staff but I already made the choice in my head to choose St Andrew’s.

“It’s always exciting to see if it is the right choice and the care is much better here for me. For example: there is a hoist for me, which we don’t have in Spain.

“So I’m really happy and convinced that with the help of the hospice I will have the best time of my life.”

He said one of the perks of the hospice is that he can get more regular visitors - as he still has many friends here from his time in Glasgow.

NEWS GROUP NEWSPAPERS LTD

Gers legend Ricksen lifts 2005 League Cup

He was joined at the hospice last week by ex-teammates Ronald De Boer, 48, Marco Negri, 48, and Jorg Albertz, 47.

But he said the toughest part is being kept apart from wife Veronika and daughter Isabella.

He still Facetimes the pair regularly, but Veronika hasn’t been able to visit her ill hubby for nearly three months because of passport issues.

She is currently unable to fly over to Scotland, but is hoping to sort paperwork so they can be his side shortly.

Fernando - shown yesterday in an Instagram snap chatting to Veronika over the phone - said: “I am happy here because all my friends are with me here in Scotland.

“Now for them it’s easier to visit me. More easier than visiting me in Spain.

“The only thing that is very difficult for me is that I miss my wife and daughter. That was a hard decision for me to make to be without my family.

“Okay for myself it was the best option because I am feeling comfortable here and I get professional care 24/7, but it is very hard not being with my family anymore.

“But also for this the hospice has a solution. In my room there is a fold out couch that is specially for families.

“Now my family can come any time and stay with me the rest of my life.”

Docs still have no idea how much longer frail Fernando still has to live.

He was originally given just months to live, but has already lived for over five years with the killer disease.

But despite facing up to living the rest of his life in the hospice, he’s upbeat about the future.

He said: “I am not afraid or scared for the future. I know I am in the right place if something happens.”

No surrender fernando

What a shame for him, but what a guy he is.  "So I’m really happy and convinced that with the help of the hospice I will have the best time of my life."

In his position I'd be a bitter raging bastard who nobody would want to talk to.

Just now, North Antrim Loyal said:

It's a heart breaking situation for him and his family. Strange that there are "issues" with his wife's passport, they need to be sorted asap.

He seems happy to be there which is slightly comforting 

3 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

What a shame for him, but what a guy he is.  "So I’m really happy and convinced that with the help of the hospice I will have the best time of my life."

In his position I'd be a bitter raging bastard who nobody would want to talk to.

A far braver man than me, I reckon I'd have caved and taken the easy out while I could. 

Paedos and their enablers live on while good honest people succumb to this horrid fate.

😞

7 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Let's no.focus on  that mate

He seems happy there 

2 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Liked a few posts on here but hate doing it. But some of the points are fantastic in.here.

A real shame genuinely 

It's good that he's happy mate, but unless there's something I don't know? Its fucked up that he can't see his wife/kid?

Because they are Russian?

Just now, AlbertzLoyalRSC said:

It's good that he's happy mate, but unless there's something I don't know? Its fucked up that he can't see his wife/kid?

Because they are Russian?

I get that mate. But he seems happy were he is. That's a bonus 

1 minute ago, Rfc52 said:

It's hard work mate. I'm going to be controversial. He's a very good Rangers player but not a Rangers great. However he is a Ranger. In the convential sense he's not a hero. He is now though 

Mate, whether he is viewed by some as a legend or a great in a footballing sense is now immaterial. Watching anybody deteriorate like that is a hard watch - particularly when you have seen them at Ibrox in their prime.

Just now, cushynumber said:

Mate, whether he is viewed by some as a legend or a great in a footballing sense is now immaterial. Watching anybody deteriorate like that is a hard watch - particularly when you have seen them at Ibrox in their prime.

I get that mate. I just mean he's not on Alberta level as a player. Character wise he's bigger than that now