Crouch on Gerrard

DW1872

1 hour ago, DW1872 said:

Just finished reading the Peter Crouch book that I got at Christmas. Light, enjoyably read and he seems a genuinely nice and funny guy.

Anyway the last chapter is titled 'Gerrard' and he writes with great affection about SG and the standards he demanded at Liverpool, how as a newly signed player you wanted to impress SG more than the manager, the way he'd test a new signing and how he'd judge you. He talks about the obsession with football and winning, the passion and never settling for average. He talks about his down to earth nature and attitude despite being a superstar.

Probably nothing we didn't know to be fair but just got me thinking (again) how badly we've lacked that kind of leadership since Walter. I'm not comparing them because Walter is in a league of his own in my lifetime but it bodes well that we have this type of character leading us again. 

Interesting to get it from a former teammates perspective. Made me feel strangely proud whilst reading it!

I was trying to remember who had said this about him the other week. Mr Gerrard seems to have an ability to spot the ones who don't have what's required pretty quickly & get shot of them. Sadiq, Windass to name a couple.

Good post btw.

1 hour ago, SpidermansGaffer said:

I was trying to remember who had said this about him the other week. Mr Gerrard seems to have an ability to spot the ones who don't have what's required pretty quickly & get shot of them. Sadiq, Windass to name a couple.

Good post btw.

Yep, his standards are high and if you don't meet them you're out.

Bodes well for us I reckon.

Weird how this post is up, I was talking to a big tarrier today, first chance I’ve  seen him to wind him up since the OF game he sometimes comes out with the ITK pish an he said he hears that crouch will be signed tomorrow for us 😂😂that was my reaction. If we hadn’t signed Defoe I might have questioned him on his sources

5 hours ago, SpidermansGaffer said:

Good post btw.

Gerrard wanted to keep windass....I'm sure it was windass who wanted to leave because he couldn't be guarantee him playing through the middle.

Either way it has worked out just fine👍

38 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I've always liked Crouch.Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Rangers jersey tbh.

Imagine him on the end of 20 plus crosses per game! He'd score a barrowload for sure.

Mate do you just come in topics and post what's already been posted 😂

19 hours ago, SpidermansGaffer said:

Good post btw.

In Gerrards book he mentions testing the new players in 5 a side training sessions at Liverpool and being able to spot those who couldn't cut it instantly.  

Diouf is pointed out as being unable to cut it right away.