Gerrard (suggested) to play v Helsinki

36 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If Parks wasn't an ex-player he'd be working in a call centre.

He is the biggest fanny in a highly competitive field, remember him giving his prediction on the old firm game. celtic had better players in every single position and we would be wasting our time turning up really, according to him anyway. Not a cheap from the prick for a fortnight after that until he had a pop at Jordan jones for tweeting how happy he was to be joining the team he supported as a boy.

3 minutes ago, HuistraHairDo said:

Get fans in the gate?? We had 50,000 in the gate against Brechin and the like to watch KKyle J Daly I Black etc etc

would be a pointless exercise.

Doubt that was the reason he suggested it, to be honest, IF he even had suggested it in first place. 

I think everyone knows getting us to watch Rangers wouldn't be an issue at all regardless of type of match.  

20 minutes ago, Sweettartangirl said:

Disagree with this. I think the players would be quite honoured playing with one of EPLs greatest players in recent years and learning a little from his own style of play and experience.  Might give them a power kick for the domestic games,  perhaps. 

Anyway, even IF he did(which he more than likely won't anyway),  there is a fair few who would still go to watch,  regardless of it being a good or bad idea.  

They should be honoured enough playing for one of the biggest clubs on earth. Any learning can, and should, be done on the training ground.

Haha 

1 hour ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

I see Gordon Parks is suggesring Gerrard pull his boots on for the Game to get bums on seats. It would be fantastic to see him in the Royal blue shirt.

Would it make you go if you aren't already?

Goram was suggesting that he sign himself as a player the other day too, I doubt that he would though.

😂

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

They should be honoured enough playing for one of the biggest clubs on earth. Any learning can, and should, be done on the training ground.

No need for the twisting,  Dude.  

Indeed, it very well could and should be done on training ground sure,  but what would be wrong with putting the learning into practise also?  

55 minutes ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

He wouldn't be coming out if retirement, he would be playing in exactly what you said, a meaningless friendly but would possibly get more fans through the gates hence why I asked if people would be more likely to go if it was confirmed Gerrard would play

3 minutes ago, Sweettartangirl said:

Doubt that was the reason he suggested it, to be honest, IF he even had suggested it in first place. 

I think everyone knows getting us to watch Rangers wouldn't be an issue at all regardless of type of match.  

@Sweettartangirl Sorry I meant to quote @Perth_Campsie_Ger

16 minutes ago, HuistraHairDo said:

Get fans in the gate?? We had 50,000 in the gate against Brechin and the like to watch KKyle J Daly I Black etc etc

would be a pointless exercise.

It is already anticipated to be a low gate. I know my RSC never had enough interest to get a bus hence the question if Gerrard was to confirm playing would you be more likely to go

9 minutes ago, Sweettartangirl said:

No need for the twisting,  Dude.  

Indeed, it very well could and should be done on training ground sure,  but what would be wrong with putting the learning into practise also?  

Not twisting anything. There's nothing they'd learn from playing alongside him in one game which couldn't be done on the training pitch. It would stop one of the players who will contribute over the coming weeks getting some needed game-time after three weeks without a fixture. It would be far better to give guys like Rossiter game-time rather than giving the manager a game. There's no practical benefit to it.

1 minute ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

It is already anticipated to be a low gate. I know my RSC never had enough interest to get a bus hence the question if Gerrard was to confirm playing would you be more likely to go

I would be more interested in seeing Davis in ‘Gerrard position ‘ and getting a glimpse of De foe, I think if you don’t fancy this game having Gerrard play a cameo won’t chang your mind.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey said:

And if he pulls a hamstring. gets his studs caught in the ground breaking his ankle or gets done by one of their players then what? Let Mcallister take the two biggest games of the season over the course of the next week?

How would any of that stop him being on the sidelines. 

Its not the greatest idea in the world but no need to post knickers in a twist pish. 

1 hour ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

I agree with that regards Goram and signing as a player manager. Wouldn't be against him playing in the friendly though even if it was just for 45 mins

Are you taking the player manager suggestions seriously? They’re not even up for debate. Just no both ideas are, as others have said, embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Testimonials aren't normally considered official matches (which is why you often get players guesting in them). This is a game scheduled to get the players back up to match sharpness before we return to league action. Playing the manager would be a pointless exercise and would come across as a bit of an ego trip at the expense of the players we'll be looking to use v Kilmarnock.

So no game on Friday night then. 

They last played on the 29th of Dec ffs 😂 not 6/8 weeks ago. 

5 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So no game on Friday night then. 

They last played on the 29th of Dec ffs 😂 not 6/8 weeks ago. 

Depends on the weather. Far from guaranteed to be going ahead.

I could pick teams quite easily for both games without the same players featuring in both and without relying on the reserves.

Nobody said they'd played 6/8 weeks ago but three weeks without a game is more than enough time to have lost a wee bit of sharpness. That's a big reason why nearly everyone has played friendlies over the winter break.

10 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

How would any of that stop him being on the sidelines. 

Its not the greatest idea in the world but no need to post knickers in a twist pish. 

You think he'd be on the touchline 3 days later with a broken ankle? 😃

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Depends on the weather. Far from guaranteed to be going ahead.

I could pick teams quite easily for both games without the same players featuring in both and without reliying on the reserves.

Nobody said they'd played 6/8 weeks ago but three weeks without a game is more than enough time to have lost a wee bit of sharpness. That's a big reason why everyone has played friendlies over the winter break.

Oh so we knew the weather was going to be bad at Cowdenbeath when we arranged the Helsinki game, that’s some crystal ball we have. 

You could also argue that a bounce game against Helsinki is pointless for match sharpness. 

1 minute ago, Jeffrey said:

You think he'd be on the touchline 3 days later with a broken ankle? 😃

Again does a broken ankle in a cast and boot stop someone standing in the one spot or even sitting in the dugout?? 😂😂

Listen before you keep digging this hole, you made a cunt of an analogy so just hold your hands up to it. 

4 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Oh so we knew the weather was going to be bad at Cowdenbeath when we arranged the Helsinki game, that’s some crystal ball we have. 

You could also argue that a bounce game against Helsinki is pointless for match sharpness. 

No but given it's the only fixture we are scheduled to play in Jan that doesn't take place on a pitch with undersoil heating/artificial pitch - not to mention somewhere that has pretty woeful facilities - it's not a massive leap to think there's the possibility of it being postponed.

The fact we announced the game around four weeks (December 20th) before it's due to take place then it doesn't take a crystal ball to check long-range weather forecasts.

Playing a match is pointless for match sharpness?