Defoe's Wages

BlueMe

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

It doesn't need to show the source in the image if you're also linking to it.

Most stories don't have 'apparent' sources since journalists are under no obligation to publicly disclose their sources and are even protected legally from doing so. I've had rows with people at clubs before over who was the source for a story.

Many talk about club insiders etc. 

This regurgitated shite doesn't appear to have even that despite being peddled by multiple outlets now. Is the 65k allegation stemming from the someone allegedly linked to Rangers, Bournemouth,  the player, another? For that not even being disclosed then it should be filed under views of individual author.

It's lazy, it's piss poor, but it is par for the course. The article is written as if true, little arguing with it or questioning it's substance, and ultimately will be taken as fact by many despite as I say no source named or otherwise.

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Many talk about club insiders etc. 

This regurgitated shite doesn't appear to have even that despite being peddled by multiple outlets now. Is the 65k allegation stemming from the someone allegedly linked to Rangers, Bournemouth,  the player, another? For that not even being disclosed then it should be filed under views of individual author.

It's lazy, it's piss poor, but it is par for the course. The article is written as if true, little arguing with it or questioning it's substance, and ultimately will be taken as fact by many despite as I say no source named or otherwise.

I've used that very line myself. Because it came from someone inside the club under condition of anonymity. Given it's coming from an English journo with an English paper, I'd be inclined to think it's come from either Bournemouth or someone close to the player. Sometimes by trying to couch who it simply makes it too obvious where it has come from.

Stories rarely name their sources. When you do, said source doesn't give you information in the future.

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I've used that very line myself. Because it came from someone inside the club under condition of anonymity. Given it's coming from an English journo with an English paper, I'd be inclined to think it's come from either Bournemouth or someone close to the player. Sometimes by trying to couch who it simply makes it too obvious where it has come from.

Stories rarely name their sources. When you do, said source doesn't give you information in the future.

So you agree there's no source, no hint of source, could have been made up by an author who has no source but believes it to be the case, and has now been regurgitated by Scottish msm...

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

So you agree there's no source, no hint of source, could have been made up by an author who has no source but believes it to be the case, and has now been regurgitated by Scottish msm...

No, I don't agree there's no source. There's no listed source but that doesn't mean there's no source. I've written christ knows how many stories that I haven't listed who the source of the information is because I have no obligation to do so publicly. It very well could have been made up however that would then leave the author and the paper who published the story at risk of being pulled by IPSO and receiving a fine etc. Not exactly worth it for what is largely a throwaway story. Hardly likely to risk your job to say Rangers are paying half of Defoes wages when it isn't true and isn't even used as part of the header designed to draw readers in.

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

See if this were true, what's the ploblem with it? We made a fortune from the European run. 

I don't think we made the kind of fortune that means we should be paying those kinds of wages. I sure wouldn't want us spending a third to a half of it on one player for a year and a half. £5 million for one player that we get nothing back for at the end of it is waaay too much for us.

We're not though, so it's all good. There's sensible risks to push the boat out a bit, then there's too far. On what he's actually likely to be getting from us it's the former. 5 million would have been far too much though.

Bottom line is the papers are bullshitting though, so no worries.

31 minutes ago, The Dude said:

No, I don't agree there's no source. There's no listed source but that doesn't mean there's no source. I've written christ knows how many stories that I haven't listed who the source of the information is because I have no obligation to do so publicly. It very well could have been made up however that would then leave the author and the paper who published the story at risk of being pulled by IPSO and receiving a fine etc. Not exactly worth it for what is largely a throwaway story. Hardly likely to risk your job to say Rangers are paying half of Defoes wages when it isn't true and isn't even used as part of the header designed to draw readers in.

So you're  basing your view on the industry norm, not what's provided in the article to back up an allegation. And your colleagues here will either be of the same view or don't care but copy it regardless. Hence the narrative is repeated endlessly, no one questions it's validity as the guy surely wouldn't put to print something without a source would he.. 

As I said previously lazy journalism, and a shower of pricks doing what pricks in that trade do.