Cardiff’s New Signing

Totally off topic as its horrific that anyone might have lost their life but.....

I once was flying on a cargo pane out of an oilfield in South Sudan with a bunch of South African pilots and there was a heated conversation about single versus twin engine planes. The major consensus was single engines are statistically safer. When a single engine fails they know they have to glide to a forced landing, the balance of the plane is better and easier. When you lose an engine on a twin engine plane you are imbalanced and the pilot is in two minds about a forced landing or potentially trying to reach a runway.

https://www.flyingmag.com/wrong-worry-twins-versus-singles

I have no expertise other than this so if you disagree thats absolutely fine

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bakbear said:

Totally off topic as its horrific that anyone might have lost their life but.....

I once was flying on a cargo pane out of an oilfield in South Sudan with a bunch of South African pilots and there was a heated conversation about single versus twin engine planes. The major consensus was single engines are statistically safer. When a single engine fails they know they have to glide to a forced landing, the balance of the plane is better and easier. When you lose an engine on a twin engine plane you are imbalanced and the pilot is in two minds about a forced landing or potentially trying to reach a runway.

https://www.flyingmag.com/wrong-worry-twins-versus-singles

I have no expertise other than this so if you disagree thats absolutely fine

If a jet loses an engine it just carries on and lands at an airport 

21 hours ago, They Gnu said:

Being reported the plane belonged to Scottish agent Wullie McKay, aka Wullie McLies the notorious dodgy cunt.

It belongs to an american however Wullie was involved in the deal and the plane was arranged by his son. 

Most reports now say that they reckon a build up of ice on the wings would have meant it would have been a nightmare to control the plane. 

Archived