The Loving cup Ceremony

Junior Soprano

Karen Brady was once at Ibrox, not sure if it was for a match where the ceremony took place, or it was for a match and she got a tour of the trophy room, but she spotted the Loving Cup and thought ‘that’s familiar looking’.

Obviously all football league clubs got one and Stoke gifted their one to us.

On return to St Andrews she apparently saw Birmingham’s and recognised why it was so familiar. They had been using it as a pot at the front door to put your umbrella in to stand against the wall!

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

It’s been a nice single malt as long as I’ve known. 

I'm sure I saw they put in several kinds but I could be wrong. Terrible idea, the logical thing is a nice classic single malt like Port Ellen

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Karen Brady was once at Ibrox, not sure if it was for a match where the ceremony took place, or it was for a match and she got a tour of the trophy room, but she spotted the Loving Cup and thought ‘that’s familiar looking’.

On return to St Andrews she apparently saw Birmingham’s and recognised why it was so familiar. They had been using it as a pot at the front door to put your umbrella in to stand against the wall!

I'm sure I've heard this story too! You'd think they would have space for it in their trophy room which I'm sure isn't exactly bursting at the seams.

16 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It looks much too small and fragile to be used as that, I reckon that's untrue.

53 minutes ago, MisterC said:

I'm sure I saw they put in several kinds but I could be wrong. Terrible idea, the logical thing is a nice classic single malt like Port Ellen

I'm sure I've heard this story too! You'd think they would have space for it in their trophy room which I'm sure isn't exactly bursting at the seams.

Their trophy room is full of cleaning equipment, it's like Mother Hubbard, bloody empty (apart from the cleaning stuff).

3 hours ago, hammer time said:

I was surprised it wasn’t done on Sunday at the Helsinki game, thought it would have been a nice gesture and tradition for the visiting officials to be involved in, admittedly asking them to raise a toast to our Queen would have been odd

Why?

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I thought it was struck by a pottery in Stoke and given to us as thanks because we played a benefit match for a mining disaster in the area. Again I maybe wrong but don’t see why Birmingham would receive one.

5 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

I thought it was struck by a pottery in Stoke and given to us as thanks because we played a benefit match for a mining disaster in the area. Again I maybe wrong but don’t see why Birmingham would receive one.

All football league clubs received them. It was either for a Coronation or a Jubilee?

Stoke gifted theirs as a thanks for our appearance at the benefit match.

When was it the sheepshaggers done it? Last season or the season before? Came up at half time and they were giving it what the fucking hell is that? Only for the camera to turn round and zoom in on their board taking a sip. 😂The sudden silence was hilarious.

31 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

All football league clubs received them. It was either for a Coronation or a Jubilee?

Stoke gifted theirs as a thanks for our appearance at the benefit match.

Brief background from last year's ceremony:

https://Rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/loving-cup-ceremony-tonight/

1 hour ago, MisterC said:

Crazy that a city the size of Birmingham doesn’t have even one club in the Premiership. Although in saying that as a city it has won exactly the same amount of European Cups as London.

The teams who received one were:

Man City, Charlton, Arsenal, Derby, Wolves, Brentford, M'boro, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Stoke, Birmingham City, Grimsby, Chelsea, Preston North End, Huddersfield, WBA, Everton, Liverpool, Leeds, Bolton, Man United, Sheff Wedsnesday, Leicester, Blackpool and the Rangers.