Gerrard has credit in the bank.

KingKirk

I suppose Gerrard does have credit in the bank.  Probably quite a lot of credit.  He was a big catch when all the other names being touted for a long while were largely of the same old, same old variety.   It was a bold move the by Board.   He has signed up for a fair length of time and is being given time (and some money) to build a title winning Rangers side.  And maybe most of all because having scoured the market after busting through a series of (failed) managers there are probably very few credible and affordable alternatives.   Another reason he will have credit in the bank is 150th anniversary is looming on the horizon.   The Club simply cannot go on burning through managers like some sort of gambling machine seeking near-instant success.  

If a title is to be won before (and in) the 150th year then enough time and patience needs to be invested in hoping that rookie manager Gerrard can get managerially savvie enough to actually build a title winning side.   I'd hoped the opportunity would be grabbed this season with the taigs getting weaker but on the domestic form so far this looks like a long shot.   We'd need to shed the habit of giving away goals and giving away points and see the team turned into a far more ruthless, clinical, hard-edged outfit that wins game after game after game. 

The form this season is not good enough.   If there is to be reason to think the title can be won this season then far more consistent winning form needs to be found starting now.   That seems to be asking too much of this squad though as the lack of ability to get to grips with the game against Killie showed they do not have enough about them to sweep setbacks aside and go on to score more goals and win the game.    It's not enough to raise the game for the taig games and then settle into assuming all the others will be won by just turning up.    The squad has not learned anywhere near enough of how to graft to win games.   Neither has Gerrard.  

Is there an alternative or is Gerrard's credit in the bank so inexhaustible for the duration of his contract that he is utterly secure to take the time he takes to develop into a title winning manager?       I think so.   Regardless of how things pan out this season or over the coming few seasons the only person deciding on when Gerrard's credit in the bank runs out is Gerrard himself.  

Of course, there is always Murty still in the background if Gerrard decides it all gets too much or gets a better offer.

My expectations for this season were secure second place and beat celtic at least once - we've done one and should grab second. However, it's incredibly frustrating the points we've dropped this season, so it will feel like an opportunity missed if we don't win the league this season. With the amount of loan players we have aswell it doesn't feel we've got a solid squad, it could quite easily be another re-build required next season. 

For what he has spent his league record is abysmal, let us not kid ourselves we should be clear of the taigs  at the moment.  How many points were Aberdeen behind us at one point? 

Not been impressed for a wee while before the taigs game but was delighted with the additions in January but we have spent a fortune as the bank balance shows yet that team had no fight or desire once Killie equalised, they outfought us all over the park for 75mins and that's the most worrying aspect.

We have droppped far too many stupid points this season as I said we could easily be 5pts clear or something but we are so inconsistent and this goes as far back as the semi against the sheep in the cup.  

Gerrard now needs to earn his corn with wins all the way to March 31st in the league and take something at the beggerdome its that simple as this team was bought to win us the league not languish joint 3rd with the sheep 

9 hours ago, bluebell82 said:

My expectations for this season were secure second place and beat celtic at least once - we've done one and should grab second. However, it's incredibly frustrating the points we've dropped this season, so it will feel like an opportunity missed if we don't win the league this season. With the amount of loan players we have aswell it doesn't feel we've got a solid squad, it could quite easily be another re-build required next season. 

We are Rangers, I expect us to win the league every season , sometimes it not possible but I don't want a manager and team who think 2nd is acceptable as 2nd is last in my book. 

And i agree , we have missed a huge opportunity this season unless we put a string of wins together as we can't drop anything before we meet the taigs next as the will drop points as they are as inconsistent as us.

Killie have them at the beggerdome in a couple of weeks let hope Killie  take something and we just need to hang on in there as we are on the ropes at the moment. 

9 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

For what he has spent his league record is abysmal, let us not kid ourselves we should be clear of the taigs  at the moment.  How many points were Aberdeen behind us at one point? 

Not been impressed for a wee while before the taigs game but was delighted with the additions in January but we have spent a fortune as the bank balance shows yet that team had no fight or desire once Killie equalised, they outfought us all over the park for 75mins and that's the most worrying aspect.

We have droppped far too many stupid points this season as I said we could easily be 5pts clear or something but we are so inconsistent and this goes as far back as the semi against the sheep in the cup.  

Gerrard now needs to earn his corn with wins all the way to March 31st in the league and take something at the beggerdome its that simple as this team was bought to win us the league not languish joint 3rd with the sheep 

The lack of fight and desire after the equaliser is really worrying IMO