Rangers reaching out to ethnic minorities

RangersMedia

Our support isnt any different to the rest of Scotlands teams. Even as much as celtic like to paint a picture that people from all over the world are travelling on a sacred pilgrimage from oppressed lands in bare feet to catch a glimpse of celtic, it is not the case. The majority of fans who fill stadiums in Scotland are from white working class backgrounds. 

16 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Especially Luton Town 

Never actually seen a Luton Town game, remember reading about problems in Bradford then watched one of their games and it was predominately white males in the crowd.

*edit* aye you are right enough.

luton-town-fans-watching-the-game-newcastle-united-nufc-650x400.jpg

33 minutes ago, rfc_watp said:

Just had confirmation that @Bronzy is going to this to represent the minority LBGT community. Fair play.

They'd probably wonder why I'm representing a non-ethnic community and also why I've spelt it wrong.

You clearly must be bisexual as you moved the B further up

28 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

They'd probably wonder why I'm representing a non-ethnic community and also why I've spelt it wrong.

You clearly must be bisexual as you moved the B further up

I was meaning Latest Britain's Got Talent community mate. Don't know why you've brought sexuality into it.

18 hours ago, TartanTeddy said:

The event is open to anyone. It's to gather viewpoints from across the community on how Rangers can be more inclusive to minorities. You are welcome to apply for tickets, join the tour and enjoy the finger food buffet. If you feel Rangers shouldn't be working to build and encourage links to minority communities you can come along and make that point.

Having been to a number of these events, and having worked with the club on a number of community initiatives in the past, I would highly recommend attending to get a better understanding of the clubs support for this type of action.  And contrary to some comments made, this isn't just about good PR, the club feel very strongly  that they have a responsibility towards the community they are a part of and want to be active in ensuring we are part of making that community stronger. This is reflected in work with schools, the unemployed and minorities amongst others. 

If people are threatened or actively against Rangers supporting such initiatives then that in itself is probably a justification to have events like this in the first place 

A good, informative post. Waste of your time posting no doubt, but appreciated nonetheless thanks 👍

On 28/01/2019 at 23:21, TartanTeddy said:

The event is open to anyone. It's to gather viewpoints from across the community on how Rangers can be more inclusive to minorities. You are welcome to apply for tickets, join the tour and enjoy the finger food buffet. If you feel Rangers shouldn't be working to build and encourage links to minority communities you can come along and make that point.

Having been to a number of these events, and having worked with the club on a number of community initiatives in the past, I would highly recommend attending to get a better understanding of the clubs support for this type of action.  And contrary to some comments made, this isn't just about good PR, the club feel very strongly  that they have a responsibility towards the community they are a part of and want to be active in ensuring we are part of making that community stronger. This is reflected in work with schools, the unemployed and minorities amongst others. 

If people are threatened or actively against Rangers supporting such initiatives then that in itself is probably a justification to have events like this in the first place 

I should have probably responded to this as a courtesy, as it's a long post. Fair enough if the event isn't exclusive - i.e. just for ethnic minorities. 

My problem is pandering to other groups. - e.g. 'Happy Eid' tweets, when there are none for the Glorious Twelfth. The club has it's history and culture, and I like it that way. At the same time it should be welcoming to anybody who's not offended by that. 

11 minutes ago, Gazzasleftfoot said:

I should have probably responded to this as a courtesy, as it's a long post. Fair enough if the event isn't exclusive - i.e. just for ethnic minorities. 

My problem is pandering to other groups. - e.g. 'Happy Eid' tweets, when there are none for the Glorious Twelfth. The club has it's history and culture, and I like it that way. At the same time it should be welcoming to anybody who's not offended by that. 

Under Murray and Bain this Club did everything it could to distance itself from anything Protestant, Loyalist and Unionist. I remember the Rangers News airbrushed a Red Hand out of an RSCs flag picture and Alan MacLaren refusing to sign a Fans Ulster Flag, as he said it was sectarian. So as you say no problem sending out Eid, Hanukkah or Chinese NY tweets as long as we send out 12th of July tweets.

19 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Under Murray and Bain this Club did everything it could to distance itself from anything Protestant, Loyalist and Unionist. I remember the Rangers News airbrushed a Red Hand out of an RSCs flag picture and Alan MacLaren refusing to sign a Fans Ulster Flag, as he said it was sectarian. So as you say no problem sending out Eid, Hanukkah or Chinese NY tweets as long as we send out 12th of July tweets.

The club is toadying to other cultures and faiths, whilst taking for granted the supporters who have made it thrive, and that sickens me. 

1 hour ago, Gazzasleftfoot said:

Eid, Hanukkah and Chinese New Year are major holidays and/or the key religious dates for a specific religion - the club tweets out a traditional greeting on these days as they see themselves, and actively want to be, an inclusive club (as do I). The club also tweets out Happy Christmas (for Christians) and Happy New Year (for everyone), so basically we have tweets which pretty much covers off the majority of the fan group.  If you view it as pandering, then I don't think you actually understand the history and culture of the club - perhaps it is the mentality of a very small section of the support, but it's certainly not one that the club holds, or to be honest the majority of the support.

Rangers have always welcomed everyone to the fold -  why this would upset anyone is something I genuinely struggle to comprehend.

On 27/01/2019 at 16:22, Inigo said:

Because hardly any minorities go to Ibrox so it could be seen as an untapped market. Also, the idea that we're a racist, unwelcoming support is pretty widespread. I guess the club like to play a part in dispelling that. 

It's a sensible strategy.

The idea that Rangers as a club is racist is utterly ludicrous that pointing out how farcical it is risks giving it slight oxygen which it doesn't deserve. 

11 minutes ago, TartanTeddy said:

Eid, Hanukkah and Chinese New Year are major holidays and/or the key religious dates for a specific religion - the club tweets out a traditional greeting on these days as they see themselves, and actively want to be, an inclusive club (as do I). The club also tweets out Happy Christmas (for Christians) and Happy New Year (for everyone), so basically we have tweets which pretty much covers off the majority of the fan group.  If you view it as pandering, then I don't think you actually understand the history and culture of the club - perhaps it is the mentality of a very small section of the support, but it's certainly not one that the club holds, or to be honest the majority of the support.

Rangers have always welcomed everyone to the fold -  why this would upset anyone is something I genuinely struggle to comprehend.

Like it or not this club has strong links to the Orange Order, indeed I well remember going to Ibrox to welcome back the ECWC side and they were led round the pitch by an Orange Band. We have a fan base in NI which we should be cherishing rather than distancing ourselves from, the 12th is a holiday in the province and the biggest religious gathering in Scotland. Your claim that it’s celebrated by only a small  section of the support, I’ve been a member of 4 different RSCs and in every one of them the vast majority celebrated the 12th with many either marching in, or supporting the parades 

16 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Like it or not this club has strong links to the Orange Order, indeed I well remember going to Ibrox to welcome back the ECWC side and they were led round the pitch by an Orange Band. We have a fan base in NI which we should be cherishing rather than distancing ourselves from, the 12th is a holiday in the province and the biggest religious gathering in Scotland. Your claim that it’s celebrated by only a small  section of the support, I’ve been a member of 4 different RSCs and in every one of them the vast majority celebrated the 12th with many either marching in, or supporting the parades 

If you read what I wrote - I said that it was a minority view that the club were pandering to minority groups by being inclusive. The majority of the fan base would welcome all to the support.

I didn't mention the Orange Order at all - having been a season ticket holder for 40 odd years I'm well aware of the culture of the support in this regard

12 minutes ago, keithgersbear said:

The idea that Rangers as a club is racist is utterly ludicrous that pointing out how farcical it is risks giving it slight oxygen which it doesn't deserve. 

Already gets plenty such plenty believe it as it is. Because of media narratives and fans of other clubs propagandising. Combating it is important otherwise only one narrative exists.

1 hour ago, TartanTeddy said:

If you read what I wrote - I said that it was a minority view that the club were pandering to minority groups by being inclusive. The majority of the fan base would welcome all to the support.

I didn't mention the Orange Order at all - having been a season ticket holder for 40 odd years I'm well aware of the culture of the support in this regard

Fairy Nuff. I jumped the gun there.