Nathan Young-Coombes

That team had knocked Bayern Munich out in the group stages.

Think I also  heard the commentator say it's the biggest win in the competition (think Real Madrid had won 6-0 a few years ago).

We next play on Wednesday in the semis, which could be against Real Madrid. Could be excellent gauge to see how we perform.

I know it's only one game and there are many factors to take into consideration but technically a lot of the youngsters looked really comfortable on the ball. Really pleasing to see. The future looks bright.

3 minutes ago, mclovin9091 said:

What the fuck happens between the U18s and the reserve team??? Kids up and coming then they don't get a sniff at the 1st team.

It is always a challenge to bridge that gap. We are working on it and hopefully we will see it pay off in the near future.

9 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

It is always a challenge to bridge that gap. We are working on it and hopefully we will see it pay off in the near future.

Considering we have had the academy for 18 years,  the website lists these guy as graduates for the last 6 years: 

Lewis McLeod, Fraser Aird, Barrie McKay, Chris Hegarty, Robbie Crawford, Rhys McCabe, Andy Mitchell, Kane Hemmings, Thomas Kind Bendiksen, Ross Perry, Darren Cole, Jamie Ness, Kyle Hutton, Gregg Wylde, Andrew Little, Jordan McMillan, John Fleck,  Danny Wilson, Andrew Murdoch, Tom Walsh, Danny Stoney, Luca Gasporrotto, Kyle MacAusland, Scott Gallacher, Calum Gallagher, Charlie Telfer and Ryan Hardie.

None are still at the club (I expect Hardie to be sold at some point) and most, dare i contradict myself, were only given a chance due to our circumstances, so why are we not producing players capable of closing that 'gap'.

Its not even just us, most of the young Scottish players have played for the U18s at some point and yet don't progress.

The age old question of "Do i need to leave in order to make it" springs to mind. Just look at how Dave Bates is getting on, yes German 2nd league isn't as good as the budesliga but is the Scottish premiership any better?

26 minutes ago, mclovin9091 said:

Considering we have had the academy for 18 years,  the website lists these guy as graduates for the last 6 years: 

Lewis McLeod, Fraser Aird, Barrie McKay, Chris Hegarty, Robbie Crawford, Rhys McCabe, Andy Mitchell, Kane Hemmings, Thomas Kind Bendiksen, Ross Perry, Darren Cole, Jamie Ness, Kyle Hutton, Gregg Wylde, Andrew Little, Jordan McMillan, John Fleck,  Danny Wilson, Andrew Murdoch, Tom Walsh, Danny Stoney, Luca Gasporrotto, Kyle MacAusland, Scott Gallacher, Calum Gallagher, Charlie Telfer and Ryan Hardie.

None are still at the club (I expect Hardie to be sold at some point) and most, dare i contradict myself, were only given a chance due to our circumstances, so why are we not producing players capable of closing that 'gap'.

Its not even just us, most of the young Scottish players have played for the U18s at some point and yet don't progress.

The age old question of "Do i need to leave in order to make it" springs to mind. Just look at how Dave Bates is getting on, yes German 2nd league isn't as good as the budesliga but is the Scottish premiership any better?

Bates was pretty shite the vast amount of time he played for us. Only really started playing well January-his injury v celtic in my opinion. 

IE German second division - that is a league vastly full of absolute shite. 

38 minutes ago, mclovin9091 said:

I would suggest that this is not a problem that is unique to us.You have to take into consideration that we are a massive Club with high fan expectation. This means that we dont take as many risks with youth as lesser clubs do. We seem to be improving, though, which is great.

28 minutes ago, Burts91 said:

Bates was pretty shite the vast amount of time he played for us. Only really started playing well January-his injury v celtic in my opinion. 

He’s also playing in the best team in that absolutely shite division, if he plays in the Bundesliga next year you’ll see why we let him go 

34 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

He’s also playing in the best team in that absolutely shite division, if he plays in the Bundesliga next year you’ll see why we let him go 

Honestly didn’t rate Bates. Our centre halves last year were a shambles. Best of a bad bunch. 

20 hours ago, johanhentze said:

I would suggest that this is not a problem that is unique to us.You have to take into consideration that we are a massive Club with high fan expectation. This means that we dont take as many risks with youth as lesser clubs do. We seem to be improving, though, which is great.

chelsea are the no 1 example of that

21 hours ago, Burts91 said:

It's probably the top second division in world football, close to Championship standard.