Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
East Enclosure Row N

Eye Broke

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Ibrox in Gaelic is ‘badger’s set’

I knew brox is something to do with badgers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if you want play about with maps even more - check this out 

 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.8547&lon=-4.3044&layers=168&b=1

 

You can use the slider to bring in today's aerial photography - you can see how much the pitch moved - you can also change the original map source! Hours of fun!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought this was going to be about Greg Docherty.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Came across this map dating from 1800. Amazing how some names of the area have changed.

Bellahouston was BillyHouston

Ibrox was Eye Broke (broke maybe meaning Brook/Burn?)

Broomloan.......... stays!

Are there any historians who can explain what some of the older names meant please?

20190211_100601.jpg

The piggery is off course in that doctored map.
The tramps park is above Billyhouston and was moved,shitey brick by shitey brick,to the east end by the racist pape brother walfrid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, savenosouls said:

Well if you want play about with maps even more - check this out 

 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.8547&lon=-4.3044&layers=168&b=1

 

You can use the slider to bring in today's aerial photography - you can see how much the pitch moved - you can also change the original map source! Hours of fun!!!

What amazes me is how Glasgow has about twice the population but was half the size it is now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RJMcGregor said:

The name Ibrox comes from the Gaelic for 'badger's set'.

sure the hill in dumbreck is bella park ,and rumour has it it is an old coal bing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

sure the hill in dumbreck is bella park ,and rumour has it it is an old coal bing

It's a drumlin mate. As are all of Glasgow's small hills.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been doctored by some inbred

Bellahouston was BellyHouston

Ibrox was Ibrox

govan_parishmap.thumb.jpg.0ea2032c760f99d2a9b7f1c355ce9c83.jpg

Map of the Parish of Govan, 1795

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Don54 said:

It's been doctored by some inbred

Bellahouston was BellyHouston

Ibrox was Ibrox

govan_parishmap.thumb.jpg.0ea2032c760f99d2a9b7f1c355ce9c83.jpg

Map of the Parish of Govan, 1795

Delete thread @cushynumber .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, savenosouls said:

Well if you want play about with maps even more - check this out 

 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.8547&lon=-4.3044&layers=168&b=1

 

You can use the slider to bring in today's aerial photography - you can see how much the pitch moved - you can also change the original map source! Hours of fun!!!

Really interesting site that. Cheers for posting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×