Gordon Banks

tannerall

Sadly died today. A solid professional and a consistent goalkeeper. 

Media down already stating he was the greatest ever English goalkeeper, local radio said he was greatest goalkeeper in the world !

I'd go for Shilton above Banks as greatest English goalkeper.

And at least 3 of his own generation were better too in my opinion, Lev Yashin, Dino Zoff and Sepp Maier.

47 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

It’s all about that save from Pele. That’s what made the English media put him on a pedestal.

A great save in a high profile game against, at the time at least, the greatest player in the world and the greatest team in the world.

McGregors save in Germany was unreal.

3 hours ago, tannerall said:

Sadly died today. A solid professional and a consistent goalkeeper. 

Media down already stating he was the greatest ever English goalkeeper, local radio said he was greatest goalkeeper in the world !

I'd go for Shilton above Banks as greatest English goalkeper.

And at least 3 of his own generation were better too in my opinion, Lev Yashin, Dino Zoff and Sepp Maier.

No need to kick a bloody dead man mate. He was a great keeper and opinions will always differ on the best.

2 hours ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

Seems strange that one of the world's greatest only played for Leicester and Stoke.

Bobby Moore played nearly all his days at west ham, back in the days before money great players could play for lesser known teams

Who did pele play for again

30 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Bobby Moore played nearly all his days at west ham, back in the days before money great players could play for lesser known teams

I suppose no freedom of contract would have played a part with the player having no freedom to move at the end of a contract without the club's permission.

8 hours ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

I suppose no freedom of contract would have played a part with the player having no freedom to move at the end of a contract without the club's permission.

Not just that, clubs weren't split so badly because of money back then, players could get a decent wage anywhere, 

On 12/02/2019 at 22:38, Jimbeamjunior said:

Way before my time but Santos must have been some team in fairness looking at the success they had and their record in games against the best European sides.

Watched a 20-odd minute highlight reel of Pele playing for Santos and Brazil after re-watching Banks' save. Convinced me he's still the greatest ever.

Pele > Messi > Maradona for me.