Gordon Banks

tannerall

5 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Way before my time but Santos must have been some team in fairness looking at the success they had and their record in games against the best European sides.

Watched a 20-odd minute highlight reel of Pele playing for Santos and Brazil after re-watching Banks' save. Convinced me he's still the greatest ever.

Pele > Messi > Maradona for me.

Messi, Cruyff, Maradona, then Pele for me mate. 

On 12/02/2019 at 10:35, tannerall said:

Sadly died today. A solid professional and a consistent goalkeeper. 

Media down already stating he was the greatest ever English goalkeeper, local radio said he was greatest goalkeeper in the world !

I'd go for Shilton above Banks as greatest English goalkeper.

And at least 3 of his own generation were better too in my opinion, Lev Yashin, Dino Zoff and Sepp Maier.

good keeper but at the time - always thought Jennings was better than the other two you noted - not English- not recognized 

5 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

good keeper but at the time - always thought Jennings was better than the other two you noted - not English- not recognized 

Jennings was a magnificent keeper, definitely up there 

On 13/02/2019 at 23:55, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Way before my time but Santos must have been some team in fairness looking at the success they had and their record in games against the best European sides.

Watched a 20-odd minute highlight reel of Pele playing for Santos and Brazil after re-watching Banks' save. Convinced me he's still the greatest ever.

Pele > Messi > Maradona for me.

1958 World Cup goals. He was 17 then. 

On 14/02/2019 at 22:45, delparlane said:

Sad that he’s departed as he seemed a true gent but re: that “Greatest Save” rubbish. I told a mate of mine over here that Goram used to make far more impressive saves on a near-weekly basis back when he was between the sticks for us.

No he didn’t