Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tannerall

Gordon Banks

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Way before my time but Santos must have been some team in fairness looking at the success they had and their record in games against the best European sides.

Watched a 20-odd minute highlight reel of Pele playing for Santos and Brazil after re-watching Banks' save. Convinced me he's still the greatest ever.

Pele > Messi > Maradona for me.

Messi, Cruyff, Maradona, then Pele for me mate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad that he’s departed as he seemed a true gent but re: that “Greatest Save” rubbish. I told a mate of mine over here that Goram used to make far more impressive saves on a near-weekly basis back when he was between the sticks for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/02/2019 at 22:15, Sparkle said:

You know someone’s a legend when their name becomes an ‘official’ measurement, e.g. that save was almost banks-esque 

Aye. "that shot was Sebo-esque" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/02/2019 at 10:35, tannerall said:

Sadly died today. A solid professional and a consistent goalkeeper. 

Media down already stating he was the greatest ever English goalkeeper, local radio said he was greatest goalkeeper in the world !

I'd go for Shilton above Banks as greatest English goalkeper.

And at least 3 of his own generation were better too in my opinion, Lev Yashin, Dino Zoff and Sepp Maier.

 

 

 

good keeper but at the time - always thought Jennings was better than the other two you noted - not English- not recognized 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

good keeper but at the time - always thought Jennings was better than the other two you noted - not English- not recognized 

Jennings was a magnificent keeper, definitely up there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/02/2019 at 23:55, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Way before my time but Santos must have been some team in fairness looking at the success they had and their record in games against the best European sides.

Watched a 20-odd minute highlight reel of Pele playing for Santos and Brazil after re-watching Banks' save. Convinced me he's still the greatest ever.

Pele > Messi > Maradona for me.

1958 World Cup goals. He was 17 then. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/02/2019 at 19:50, sandyinroyalblue said:

Seems strange that one of the world's greatest only played for Leicester and Stoke.

Yeah Stanley Matthews of Stoke and Blackpool was shite as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/02/2019 at 22:45, delparlane said:

Sad that he’s departed as he seemed a true gent but re: that “Greatest Save” rubbish. I told a mate of mine over here that Goram used to make far more impressive saves on a near-weekly basis back when he was between the sticks for us.

No he didn’t 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only one English goalkeeper has a world cup winners medal, benchmark for all the others to aim for.

A real credit to his country and sport , always came across as a  gentleman, RIP Gordon Banks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...