Steven Gerrard

Lord Lockin

24 minutes ago, HuistraHairDo said:

Aye ok bennymongo.

the irony in that post is hilarious.

you a wee bit bored before the game this afternoon?

Irony? No. If you think calling people "mongo" is OK you are either a child or an infantile loser, either way enough of your pish. Just fuck off. 

7 minutes ago, TMB said:

I doubt anger is a useful trait when it comes to professional sport.  Has he just to run around pure raging for 90mins each week?

What a daft post. No one suggests anyone needs to be angry the entire time. But for him not to really show he won't accept what he's seen, to not be verbally direct and angered, to not demonstrate the passion that could spark something in under performing team mates?

Probably because he's as culpable as the others of going missing and not being a winner he doesn't hold others to account.

2 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I'll give him.another transfer window but I'm unimpressed. He cant spot even basic problems. His signings have been underwhelming

Folk can bleat all they like about how much we've improved but we haven't improved enough and its just the same patter folk spouted when Warburton was in charge. Fact is its not good enough and the only reason Gerrard is getting so much credit is because his name and nothing more. I'd rather have a manger id never heard of who can do the job than have some celebrity manager that doesn't cut it.

Too many folk care that he's a big name and don't seem to care that he's not good enough.

Stopping 9IAR is as important as stopping 10, the taigs will go all for it next season, if were not ahead by January then he can go cause hes just not a good enough manager to stop them winning 10IAR, he's blown our chance at the league 3 times now with his woeful tactics and inability to recognise where were failing on the park

at last someones opinion on the topic 

3 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I'll give him.another transfer window but I'm unimpressed. He cant spot even basic problems. His signings have been underwhelming

Folk can bleat all they like about how much we've improved but we haven't improved enough and its just the same patter folk spouted when Warburton was in charge. Fact is its not good enough and the only reason Gerrard is getting so much credit is because his name and nothing more. I'd rather have a manger id never heard of who can do the job than have some celebrity manager that doesn't cut it.

Too many folk care that he's a big name and don't seem to care that he's not good enough.

Stopping 9IAR is as important as stopping 10, the taigs will go all for it next season, if were not ahead by January then he can go cause hes just not a good enough manager to stop them winning 10IAR, he's blown our chance at the league 3 times now with his woeful tactics and inability to recognise where were failing on the park

Cannot argue with any of that......

21 minutes ago, TMB said:

I doubt anger is a useful trait when it comes to professional sport.  Has he just to run around pure raging for 90mins each week?

so the carrot and stick philosophy is a load of pish then particularly in a professional sport like football?

Who said he’s to run around raging for the 90 minutes ?

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Probably because he's as culpable as the others of going missing and not being a winner he doesn't hold others to account.

It's the managers job to motivate and organise the team.  It's the manager who should be holding player to account if they're underperforming.  I don't think the armband itself is that important it normally goes to someone that has been with the club a long time, is performing well, maybe even to a player in order to increase a their worth in transfer market.  I doubt performances change if one guy wears the yellow band round his arm as opposed to another.

I don't think getting "angry" is vital to success either.  Morelos plays like he's constantly angry and if anything it would probably benefit him to calm down a bit.

4 hours ago, chris182 said:

Appointing Tav as Captain was indeed his first mistake IMO. Surprised me at the time.

I think it's clear there is no drive or management of the game ON the pitch.

Said that as soon as he made tav captain that was his first mistake. and he hadn't even met or signed any of the new players. But we are still lacking in quality in lots of areas. Not just the choice of the captain.

11 minutes ago, TMB said:

It's the managers job to motivate and organise the team.  It's the manager who should be holding player to account if they're underperforming.  I don't think the armband itself is that important it normally goes to someone that has been with the club a long time, is performing well, maybe even to a player in order to increase a their worth in transfer market.  I doubt performances change if one guy wears the yellow band round his arm as opposed to another.

I don't think getting "angry" is vital to success either.  Morelos plays like he's constantly angry and if anything it would probably benefit him to calm down a bit.

I get the feeling you were never a captain on a fitba pitch tbh. Or a decent one who the others looked up to.

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I get the feeling you were never a captain on a fitba pitch tbh. Or a decent one who the others looked up to.

I think the onus should be on individuals to motivate themselves and make sure they maintain a certain standard of performance and commitment.  The manager and coaching staff play a major part in that in terms of preparation.  Blaming Tavernier every time there's a poor performance and the significance of his armband is getting tiresome.  As I said, you could of put the band on a different arm yesterday and the performance would almost certainly have been the same.

when it comes to Tav I can't make my mind up, I think his crossing is woeful but he is good at moving the ball forward, his problem is hes meant to be a defender and he's not very good at it, if he was told to move forward and someone came into fill his defensive position when he was up front it might work but him running from one end of the pitch to the other the whole game doesn't work,

24 minutes ago, BILLYBOY50 said:

Said that as soon as he made tav captain that was his first mistake. and he hadn't even met or signed any of the new players. But we are still lacking in quality in lots of areas. Not just the choice of the captain.

Gerrard obviously respects Tavernier as a footballer and that's why he's given him the band.  Tavernier's overall contribution to this team merits the armband IMO.  He's improved a lot defensively and he's created more goals than anyone else in the league.  

I know many want the captains armband to go to someone who gets angry and shouts a lot but there's every chance Gerrard doesn't see it that way.  Guys can get the armband due to experience, loyalty, ability, etc.  

Although I’m still scunnered after yesterday, I’m still confident that Gerrard will be a good manager. Very few people walk into jobs and be the real deal right away. He has made quite a few mistakes, but has also done some good things since arriving. To get us into the group stages in the Europa was something I didn’t see happening. Hopefully we’ll give him a decent chance and another couple of transfer windows. If we do I’m confident he can take us to the next stage. 

17 minutes ago, TMB said:

I think the onus should be on individuals to motivate themselves and make sure they maintain a certain standard of performance and commitment.  The manager and coaching staff play a major part in that in terms of preparation.  Blaming Tavernier every time there's a poor performance and the significance of his armband is getting tiresome.  As I said, you could of put the band on a different arm yesterday and the performance would almost certainly have been the same.

I'll take that as a no.

It's tiresome for you if you don't see the significance of the captain's role. It's not about the armband it's about far more as I've stated. Tav plays well he gets praised. Tav plays poorly he gets criticised. The team show so little and a captain trots about as if it's acceptable then that's simply unacceptable, regardless if it being Tav or any other captain.

You don't see the importance of the captain's role, I do but don't see Tav close to delivering on it. Guess it's as simple as that.

Most annoying thing for me about Gerrard is for a guy who is one of the greatest midfielders of his or any generation, we've had a sub-standard midfield in almost every game of the season. In fact the only games where we've look good are games like scum at home, and 2nd half Rapid, where our midfield actually turned up, got on the front foot and impacted the game.  He's had all season to work with the players and Jan opportunity to find better ones and we're still seeing the same thing game after game.

Too many players who pass side to side. No-one playing with their head up. No-one capable of finding a pass, beating a man, running beyond a striker, or having a shot from outside the box.  Tav, Candeias and Barasic delivery is frustrating but that's made worse by the fact that if they don't create, or Kent or Morelos don't on their own, we don't do anything. Because we get fuck all going forward from midfield in almost every game, with exception of Arfield on a good day. 

1 hour ago, TMB said:

You don't need the armband to offer leadership on the field.  Is there a leader in this squad who is unable to help the team because he doesn't have the band around his arm?  If the band was around McGregor's arm, or Arfield's arm, I'm guessing the levels of performance would remain about the same levels.  

Correct. You are guessing. Platitudes like "it's everyones responsibility" equate to "it's no ones responsibility".

Comments about quality are a get out. U cannot stick 11 players on a field and just expect them to consistently win and fight for each other. The club captain is a vital part of the bonding. Or at least should be.

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

Of course I’m not. It’s essential it’s just that this should come from many not just from one with an armband 

as I said it’s immaterial who is captain 

Ffs a team is a collection of people working to a common goal.. People need led or else or else they are like a group of stray cats.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

What a daft post. No one suggests anyone needs to be angry the entire time. But for him not to really show he won't accept what he's seen, to not be verbally direct and angered, to not demonstrate the passion that could spark something in under performing team mates?

Correctamundo