Gerrard's benchmark.

backup

What is SG's benchmark who/what do we have to compare him against. The nearest I would suggest is Souness albeit from a different era, Souness never brought murray to Ibrox until around two years after his arrival, so roughly the same circumstances of a new regime the David Holmes revolution.

Personally I have never seen any Ranger's manager who emitted the aura of Souness, I think he is/was on a different level to SG in everything, but no shame in that he is/was imho on a different level to all.

Can SG get anywhere near Souness, will he get the funds to even be given a decent shot at it ?

That Souness admits to regret at leaving The Rangers gives him some slack imho for the way he was terminated by murray.

2 completely different eras of football, back in souness' day a manager with his stature in the game could get the best players available

Gerrard could have a world class younger brother, but if he's offered 3 or 4 times what we offer him he wouldnt come here

29 minutes ago, backup said:

What is SG's benchmark who/what do we have to compare him against. The nearest I would suggest is Souness albeit from a different era, Souness never brought murray to Ibrox until around two years after his arrival, so roughly the same circumstances of a new regime the David Holmes revolution.

Personally I have never seen any Ranger's manager who emitted the aura of Souness, I think he is/was on a different level to SG in everything, but no shame in that he is/was imho on a different level to all.

Can SG get anywhere near Souness, will he get the funds to even be given a decent shot at it ?

That Souness admits to regret at leaving The Rangers gives him some slack imho for the way he was terminated by murray.

I don't think SG or individuals within the team should be compared to anyone at this point in time. For me the time to do this is when there is a level playing field. I feel relieved SG ( the rookie manager) has spotted the flawed system with-in the game, something that experienced opponent managers have failed to do.

23 minutes ago, backup said:

Tbf . The scum never had a 7 year start on Souness

SG is still the man . Has to be for the next 2/3 years . No matter how painful that is for some .

We are getting closer . No doubts . I think that is down to them, not being as they were few years back

Our management team, are not making the inroads I was hoping for though

Our record domestically is still a disgrace .You can not deny this .

The only crumb for me . We have won an OF league game  for first time in 8 years and we beat the sheep recently at their place .

Other than the Euro run , it has been very poor fair indeed .

On 29/12/2018 at 00:14, backup said:

Captain Cutlass's birthday today, let's celebrate it in style !

11 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Gerrard and his team set the benchmark on the 29th of December, the OP was nowhere to be seen for about 2 weeks after that, now he is all over the football threads, funny that.

enjoy you trolling prick, I tend to avoid pricks like you deliberately. 👍

At the start of the souness era things were more comparable as we were signing players but not top class ones. However I'd imagine we were paying comparatively if not more than the scum to do so. When Murray came in, and Heysel certainly made it easier, we were signing world class players, international captains, world cup top scorers.  As they upped their spend, they got better players and narrowed the gap until they caught us.

We need to get close to matching their spend so we are in the market for similar class of players. Until that happens, our permanent signings will be either unproven, from SPL, old and on the slow down or lower league efl. 

There's no real comparison between Gerrard and a previous Rangers manager in my lifetime as imo the cards haven't been as stacked against us previously, even with Souness. And that's not even taking into account us being hated throughout the game and the agenda to keep the scum top.

I know its not a manager / manager comparison but in a way maybe a form of benchmark the manager and players (and for that matter Directors) ought to have as front and centre in their minds is we have not won a top trophy since season 2010/11.     

A key benchmark for the Club.....and the Support....is the regularity with which trophies are displayed.   On that benchmark basis the entirety of Rangers from Chairman, to Directors, to Execs to Manager and coaching staff to first team squad all have a lot to do to win a trophy and bring it back to Ibrox.   Maybe a modern day benchmark for the Club should be the frequency with which a top trophy is won.    Its a team effort and so far in recent times (since 2010/11) performance right across has been way below acceptable.

The first 2 benchmarks have got to have been as simple as spend the money you're given well as we can't afford to blow it on shite again who are here on long term deals & make sure we close the gap on them (sure we finished 12 behind last season).

As it stands, neither of those are looking good. 

42 minutes ago, backup said:

4 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

A key benchmark for the Club.

which brings us back to will he get bankrolled !

1 hour ago, backup said:

enjoy you trolling prick, I tend to avoid pricks like you deliberately. 👍

:lol: I must have too much street-cred for you, can smell the fear.

Reported for personal abuse as well.

*edit* just realised your attempt to prove me wrong just made you look like a bigger clown than you already are, that post was made at 00.14am, that's a good 12hrs and 16 minutes before the game got underway when we beat the beggars and you went AWOL.

Your street-cred is taking a pounding here.

When Gerard was first appointed the expectation was to make us more competitive during the Old Firm games and get us closer to celtic in terms of league points.  We were doing well in terms of the league up until the winter break but with the gap now 8 points it's all but over by February so I think he's failed in that respect.  We've been more competitive during the Old Firm games but the season isn't over yet.  If they take turn us over at Parkhead next month by a few goals I think there will be a real backlash from it.  

2 hours ago, backup said:

Honestly don't see the point in this comparison as completely different scenarios.

In the Souness pre-Sky era Rangers were on par with the biggest clubs in England/Europe financially as well as in terms of fan base (now we can only boast the fan base). Add to that the European ban on English clubs making Rangers an even more attractive prospect at that time. And then compare to Gerrard's task of operating on a limited budget in what has become a footballing backwater infested with taig media pursuing an anti-Rangers narrative at every turn.

There can be a benchmark without a direct comparison. Seems fairly pointless to judge him against someone like Souness as its a completely different situation. 

A solid benchmark would be a decent improvement on last season.We've arguably done that so far with the run in Europe and a bit of breathing space on second place. If we happened to win the Scottish cup too I'd say he'd be exceeding his first year target. 

11 minutes ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

Honestly don't see the point in this comparison as completely different scenarios.

In the Souness pre-Sky era Rangers were on par with the biggest clubs in England/Europe financially as well as in terms of fan base (now we can only boast the fan base). Add to that the European ban on English clubs making Rangers an even more attractive prospect at that time. And then compare to Gerrard's task of operating on a limited budget in what has become a footballing backwater infested with taig media pursuing an anti-Rangers narrative at every turn.

before Souness arrived we had not won the league for 9 years, murrays alleged money was 2 years later, I will leave it there... other than SG’s name would attract better players, it hasn’t, Souness’s did. 

You really can’t compare the circumstances, we’re in a football backwater now and Gerrard can’t attract anywhere near the quality of player Souness could. 

We can’t even spend as much as the tarriers now because of the mess Souness’ pal Murray got us into.