Gerrard's benchmark.

backup

3 hours ago, backup said:

What is SG's benchmark who/what do we have to compare him against. The nearest I would suggest is Souness albeit from a different era, Souness never brought murray to Ibrox until around two years after his arrival, so roughly the same circumstances of a new regime the David Holmes revolution.

Personally I have never seen any Ranger's manager who emitted the aura of Souness, I think he is/was on a different level to SG in everything, but no shame in that he is/was imho on a different level to all.

Can SG get anywhere near Souness, will he get the funds to even be given a decent shot at it ?

That Souness admits to regret at leaving The Rangers gives him some slack imho for the way he was terminated by murray.

NOPE: We were a big club financially at that time - Souness could (and did) draw on the best. It just doesn't work as comparisons.

What we do have to do is realise that it will take any manager 2 - 3 seasons to build a really strong squad - SG has done better that I originally though and we can all see the direction of travel and we just need to back him for at least another full season.

15 minutes ago, backup said:

before Souness arrived we had not won the league for 9 years, murrays alleged money was 2 years later, I will leave it there... other than SG’s name would attract better players, it hasn’t, Souness’s did. 

Who has mentioned Murray or his money ya fucking howl at the moon mongo 

What is SG's benchmark who/what do we have to compare him against. The nearest I would suggest is Souness albeit from a different era, Souness never brought murray to Ibrox until around two years after his arrival, so roughly the same circumstances of a new regime the David Holmes revolution.

Personally I have never seen any Ranger's manager who emitted the aura of Souness, I think he is/was on a different level to SG in everything, but no shame in that he is/was imho on a different level to all.

Can SG get anywhere near Souness, will he get the funds to even be given a decent shot at it ?

That Souness admits to regret at leaving The Rangers gives him some slack imho for the way he was terminated by murray.

2 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Who has mentioned Murray or his money ya fucking howl at the moon mongo 

The OP in his OP 😂

23 minutes ago, left winger said:

Souness was still playing - that made him a greater draw.

English clubs were banned from Europe - easier to sign their top players.

The current financial disparity between us and the top English clubs didn’t exist.

Souness had an experienced assistant manager.

No one club was dominating Scottish football when Souness arrived.

Tremendously poor comparison.

No doubt OP will ignore this mate as you're being far too sensible. 

22 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

NOPE: We were a big club financially at that time - Souness could (and did) draw on the best. It just doesn't work as comparisons.

What we do have to do is realise that it will take any manager 2 - 3 seasons to build a really strong squad - SG has done better that I originally though and we can all see the direction of travel and we just need to back him for at least another full season.

i always enjoy reading this factual gambit in the David Holmes revolution after 9 years without a title..

"An unsung hero from the Rangers past who never kicked a ball for the club. 

For anyone unaware of David Holmes, This was the guy that awoke the sleeping giant that was Rangers football club and made us once again the biggest show in town after years of mis-management that saw the unacceptable position of the club finishing mid-table in the league. 

His master stroke was in bringing in Graeme Souness as player manager. 

The revolution had begun".

Two rookie Rangers managers, so every reason to compare, notwithstanding Souness being in a different class.

Souness had a budget Gerrard can only dream of. More importantly Souness had more money to spend than the tarriers, unfortunately that is no longer the case

2 hours ago, backup said:

which brings us back to will he get bankrolled !

I suppose there will be funds of sorts in each transfer window over the forthcoming seasons but whether it proves to be enough or whether spending turns out to be on really effective player acquisitions is of course another matter.    I'm presuming Morelos will be transferred out in Summer and that the fee will be a good one and will swell whatever other funds are made available.    But replacing him with a more or less ready made - and affordable - goal scoring equivalent may be very hard.   Every club in the EPL and Championship will be hunting for that type of player and all can out-gun us financially.     So it'll be a very tall order to reconstruct the team for next season.  A side that has enough goalscoring firepower across the team to make for a proper title challenge.  

Maybe SG will have to be bolder in the remainder of this league season and give development team strikers some decent first team time to see if - despite their youth and inexperience - they might just be ready to make the transition into the first team.  IE try to solve what could be a bit of a striker problem from in-house resources and use the Morelos cash and whatever else the Board can muster to strengthen other areas of the squad.     

It will be interesting to see the extent to which SG can be bankrolled for the summer transfer window...…..and how wisely that money proves to have been spent. 

3 hours ago, plumbGER said:

Gerrard and his team set the benchmark on the 29th of December, the OP was nowhere to be seen for about 2 weeks after that, now he is all over the football threads, funny that.

That game against the scum should have been the lauchpad to push on instead we have regressed.and that tells us that this squad does not have the ability or the bottle to go on a winning run Enabling us to put pressure on the scum. 

It’s all well and good calling it Gerrards benchmark but if the players can go from powderpuff draws with hibs and Dundee to being a good match for Villarreal and beating the tims to then losing abysmally to killie to then beating the sheep away tells you that it’s the players who don’t have the winning at all costs mentality.

i find it quite a piss take that your main culprits like worral,candeias,arfield,tavernier and goldson can go from world beaters to absolute garbage in a week. But then I remember that these guys are average at best and that’s what you’ll always get from average players.  We signed shite under warburton and we binned him. We signed crap under Pedro and we binned him,Murray got 1-2 in last January that weren’t good enough and we binned him.

gerrards came in and bought what we could afford- granted some have been disappointing but are we just going to bin Gerrard only to appoint another manager for them to sign average players?  Cos that’s all we are going to be affording. And then I suppose we’ll bin that manager.

55 minutes ago, BILLYBOY50 said:

That game against the scum should have been the lauchpad to push on instead we have regressed.and that tells us that this squad does not have the ability or the bottle to go on a winning run Enabling us to put pressure on the scum. 

No, that proves the squad does have the ability but they lack the consistency and desire to do it every week.

For me the benchmarks are.

European progress, cup finals, cup finals won, league position and points. This is his first season and we over shot expectation in Europe, we are not in any cup finals yet and the league is very up and down, so we need to wait and see. The comparisons to Souness is a stretch as it is very different circumstances now. Souness could sign up top players in their prime, Gerrard has not got the same financial clout. If anything Gerrard may have a more difficult job than Souness had and it will take more time to see the improvements coming through.

5 hours ago, backup said:

Any comparrison should stop at both were rookie managers. 

Rangers were in a position to bring in top British players but now Scottish football doesn't  come close to competing financially with the English championship never mind their top league.

Souness himself was still one of the best midfielders in the game and the team in his first season also included the likes of England goalkeeper Chris Woods, arguably the best central defensive partnership the club has had in Butcher and Roberts as well as other guenuine quality players such as Durrant, Derek Ferguson, Robert Fleck, Davie Cooper and Ally McCoist.

A team of that quality would would absolutely romp the current league in my opinion.

Gerrards struggling as he was another poor choice to manage us but the board needed someone of his status to cover up how poorly they have done since gaining control.

I can't really blame Gerrard as we knew we were getting a guy learning his trade on the job.

6 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Comparing him to Souness is fucking mental. 

The circumstances around them and us as a club makes the comparisons impossible to ignore

Both were midfield legends for club (Liverpool) and their countries

Both were given an opportunity by Rangers as their first job

Both walked into the weakest point of our history (at that time)

Both were far bigger names than we would've hoped to attract

Just now, NixonRFC said:

The circumstances around them and us as a club makes the comparisons impossible to ignore

Both were midfield legends for club (Liverpool) and their countries

Both were given an opportunity by Rangers as their first job

Both walked into the weakest point of our history (at that time)

Both were far bigger names than we would've hoped to attract

Souness signed world class players. 

End of story. 

2 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Souness signed world class players. 

End of story. 

That was the world we lived in, Souness had to contend with the tims and two other clubs who were well established on the European stage, hence why he could 1. Draw that talent and 2. Needed that level of talent

Here ends yer lesson

12 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

That was the world we lived in, Souness had to contend with the tims and two other clubs who were well established on the European stage, hence why he could 1. Draw that talent and 2. Needed that level of talent

Here ends yer lesson

He could draw on the talent of a good chunk of the English national team at the time because selik and fucking Aberdeen were in Europe. 

Is this what you're honestly saying here? :lol:

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

He could draw on the talent of a good chunk of the English national team at the time because selik and fucking Aberdeen were in Europe. 

Is this what you're honestly saying here? :lol:

Naw I'm saying Scotland was an exciting prosepct at the time for players if a club had the means to buy them, not the backwater it is now.

Allan McGregor to Scottish Football in 2019 is as big or as good as Chris Woods was to it in 1986