Footballs greatest

hammer93

A sky production for years on end, cryuff, pele,maradona etc etc....tonight I saw the Roberto Baggio version and it makes you wonder how good he was, my personal opinion was that he was different class.....Del  piero came along and replaced Baggio with ease...the question is.....no one ever mentions these 2 players when people name their greatest 11...great players but where do you rank them?

Not sure, but for their era there were greater. The Best players in the last 30 years for are/me were the two Ronaldos, Messi, Zidane, Michael Laudrup and Ronaldinho in his pomp.

Order probably along the lines of Messi, current Ronaldo, Laudrup, Zidane, Ronaldinho, old Ronaldo.

In all honesty, I was never that much of a fan of Del Piero to or Baggio. Even preferred the likes of Romario, Hagi and Bergkamp.

24 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Not sure, but for their era there were greater. The Best players in the last 30 years for are/me were the two Ronaldos, Messi, Zidane, Michael Laudrup and Ronaldinho in his pomp.

Order probably along the lines of Messi, current Ronaldo, Laudrup, Zidane, Ronaldinho, old Ronaldo.

In all honesty, I was never that much of a fan of Del Piero to or Baggio. Even preferred the likes of Romario, Hagi and Bergkamp.

Where would you rank Guillit in terms of Dutch players? I never got to see him play but from what I’ve heard he was superbly well rounded. 

27 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Romario was the player that got me interested in Barca , unbelievable burst of pace.

Messi is without doubt the greatest thats ever played the game.........

9 minutes ago, Siwel said:

Where would you rank Guillit in terms of Dutch players? I never got to see him play but from what I’ve heard he was superbly well rounded. 

He was. Never felt he was as capable of something exceptional as much as some of the others though. Great player, but not absolute top level imo.

Van Basten was more impressive before his injury.

8 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Romario was the player that got me interested in Barca , unbelievable burst of pace.

Messi is without doubt the greatest thats ever played the game.........

In the 1994 WC and around about that time he was stunningly good.

39 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Messi > C Ronaldo > Ronaldo > Zidane > Ronaldinho > Laudrup 

FTFY. 

Who was it that said 'in the 60s it was Pele, the 70s it was Cruyff, 80s Maradona, 90s Laudrup, 00s Zidane'?Some knowledgeable football type, but can't remember who. Spot on, really. 10s Will be remembered as Messi, despite some stiff competition from Cristiano.

Different styles of players but for me just on invention and craft it was Ronaldhino. Guy could do things others couldn't even think of. Didn't have the strength of Ronaldo or the close control at speed of Messi but see some of his stuff on youtube playing it off the bar, back passes etc .

My old time favourite was Jairzinho. At 70 World Cup he scored in every game, 7 goals in all and his pace on the ball to beat players plus a stunning shot was amazing.

For me Baggio was great but he scored one of his greatest goals in a WC third place match and fucked up a penalty in a Final.

Del Piero scored a screamer to put Italy into a final and actually won the title. Also won a Champions League.

I’m lucky enough to have seen Del Piero play and score a screamer of a free kick right into the postage stamp of the goal I was standing behind so I’m a little biased.

7 hours ago, Inigo said:

Who was it that said 'in the 60s it was Pele, the 70s it was Cruyff, 80s Maradona, 90s Laudrup, 00s Zidane'?Some knowledgeable football type, but can't remember who. Spot on, really. 10s Will be remembered as Messi, despite some stiff competition from Cristiano.

For me the 90s was the greatest era of football. Nearly every top 30 nation had a genuine international class player.

Ronaldo, Romario, Zidane, Cantona, Djorkaeff, Hagi, Stoichkov, Savicevic, Stoijkovic, Suker, Boban, Overmars, Bergkamp, Koeman, De Boers, Kluivert, Raul, Guardiola, del Piero, Maldini, Vieri, Laudrup x 2, Schmeichel, Chilavert, Salas, Zamorano, Batistuta, Simeone, Redondo, Figo, Rui Costa, Shearer, Scholes, Beckham, Gascoigne, Giggs, Valderrama, Asprilla, Feiersinger, Herzog, Chapuisiat, Matthias, Kahn, Klinsmann, Sammer, Keane, Irwin, Johnsen, Solskjær, Staelens, Nilis, Wilmots... 

List is endless.

10 hours ago, Inigo said:

Having Ronaldo at the end of that list is ridiculous. 

20 hours ago, hammer93 said:

A sky production for years on end, cryuff, pele,maradona etc etc....tonight I saw the Roberto Baggio version and it makes you wonder how good he was, my personal opinion was that he was different class.....Del  piero came along and replaced Baggio with ease...the question is.....no one ever mentions these 2 players when people name their greatest 11...great players but where do you rank them?

12 and 13.

Greatest ever attacking player still Maradona,winning the world cup almost single handed in 86 will be hard to surpass.

Greatest defensively Franco Baresi,shame that the appreciation of the art of defending is dying.