Eric Caldow 1934 - 2019

7 hours ago, Ozblue said:

One of the best left-backs we ever had. I still clearly remember to this day when Eric broke his leg in 3 places against Bobby Smith at Wembley. On the 6th minute after Scotland almost scored, the English 'keeper, Gordon Banks blootered the ball into the Scotland half where Smith latched on to it  but couldn't control it and as the ball spun away Smith latched on to it but again he couldn't control it and it broke away towards Caldow who moved in to clear and as he pushed it back to big Ian Ure, Smith came thundering in late and stuck his left boot into Caldows' left shin, so that was the end of his international career.

The thing I will never forget when Smith was hobbling off towards the sideline was the noise we made booing Smith all the way. R.I.P. Eric.

I’m sure I read somewhere that, in the dressing room beforehand, Smith had threatened to break someone’s (anyone’s) leg, just because he disliked Scots folk.