Sign in to follow this  
East Enclosure Row N

Eric Caldow 1934 - 2019

Smith ,who died in 2010,was part of the  very formidableTottenham Double title team  in the early 1960s who Rangers came up against in Europe.A big hulk of a guy,very ungainly, who tackled like a foward.His  late mistimed  lunge on Eric was an absolute shocker.

3 hours ago, tannerall said:

Unfortunately was not old enough to see him play.  But he was captain and mainstay in the early 60s Rangers team that I believe was probably the greatest Rangers team ever.

R.I.P.

Yup, first Rangers captain I watched and he oozed class both on and off the pitch. That team was something special, as you say, possibly the greatest Rangers team ever.

RIP captain.

On 04/03/2019 at 23:50, harlands plater said:

I remember my old man telling about that, he said Smith was an animal.

Smith was a big burly battering ram of a centre forward of the old school who didn't think twice about putting the goalkeeper into the back of the net along with the ball (he weighed almost 14stone) and he certainly didn't take any prisoners. I'm not sure if I would call him an animal, but that tackle he made on Caldow was criminal bordering on assault. Typically, the English said it was just an accident, whereas the Scots supporters (including me) swore blind he meant it, because there was no way he was going to get close to the ball and he could have pulled out of it.

23 hours ago, bornabear said:

I remember that day well mate, Smith really did get some shit, deservedly so.

He certainly did, mate! I'm sure almost every Scot in the crowd would have been really happy if he swung by the neck off a crossbar.

bornabear likes this

5 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

Smith was a big burly battering ram of a centre forward of the old school who didn't think twice about putting the goalkeeper into the back of the net along with the ball (he weighed almost 14stone) and he certainly didn't take any prisoners. I'm not sure if I would call him an animal, but that tackle he made on Caldow was criminal bordering on assault. Typically, the English said it was just an accident, whereas the Scots supporters (including me) swore blind he meant it, because there was no way he was going to get close to the ball and he could have pulled out of it.

Of course he meant it, centre forwards in those days tended to stayed in the middle, this fucker decided to take Eric out so he went on the hunt.

Fucked himself too in that tackle, was a passenger for the rest of the game.

17 hours ago, HG5 said:

I’m sure I read somewhere that, in the dressing room beforehand, Smith had threatened to break someone’s (anyone’s) leg, just because he disliked Scots folk.

I have never heard that story, HG, but considering that Bobby Smith was friends with Bill Brown, John White, and Dave Mackay who were his teammates at Spurs , and who actually played in that  Wembley game, I would be surprised if that was the case.

2 hours ago, Ozblue said:

I have never heard that story, HG, but considering that Bobby Smith was friends with Bill Brown, John White, and Dave Mackay who were his teammates at Spurs , and who actually played in that  Wembley game, I would be surprised if that was the case.

Hi Ozblue - how are you keeping?

Does sound odd in that context - maybe I’ve mis-remembered the exact reason, but I’m pretty sure (as the story went) he was out to ‘do’ someone.

4 hours ago, Ozblue said:

He certainly did, mate! I'm sure almost every Scot in the crowd would have been really happy if he swung by the neck off a crossbar.

before subs were allowed most english cup finals had 10 men on most games.that tackle more or less shortened eric,s career he was never the player he was for speed, best left back in my time ever. but for some reason he got played at right back to let john little play l. b. if i mind did dave wilson not cover the job of l.b. with honors.

5 hours ago, Ozblue said:

My old man also said Duncan Edwards was a dirty player, and this was all  forgotten because he died at Munich. 

23 hours ago, silverbear said:

Very sad.

Absolute Gent.

I invited him down for our end of season RSC do once but he had to cancel a few days before, due to his wife being unwell.

He said it was a shame as 'Laura & I like going to the dancing'  ☺️

Tremendous full back who unfortunately broke his leg in 3 places after a shocking tackle by England centre forward, Bobby Smith.

He also lost his son in a car accident.

On a lighter note, he always had a stormer against Them & in particular Jimmy Johnstone. When asked once if he'd ever managed to get past Caldow, Johnstone replied "Only once ....but I was driving my car at the time".

The word legend gets thrown about too much these days, but he certainly was one.

young Eric who I knew quite well died n a car accident in Kuwait and had ironically enough broken his left leg out in Saud Arabia in 1996  --- never realized how much he resembled his dad until saw the photo posted by @mrmojorisin

RIP BOTH ERICS

Bobby Hume and minstral like this

18 hours ago, bornabear said:

Of course he meant it, centre forwards in those days tended to stayed in the middle, this fucker decided to take Eric out so he went on the hunt.

Fucked himself too in that tackle, was a passenger for the rest of the game.

I think the years are clouding your memories of that game, my friend. I'm not debating the point whether Smith went out to injure someone (Caldow in particular) because that is something Scots and English will never agree on. Here is a fact: Gordon Banks went to throw the ball out, but changed his mind and kicked the ball high and long. The ball actually landed to the left of the centre circle in the Scotland half where Smith was and being covered by Ian Ure. Unfortunately, Smith couldn't control the bounce so the ball spun away to the right, with Smith going after it. As he latched onto the ball he failed to control the ball once again which resulted in it heading towards Caldow; Eric got to the ball first and as he passed it to Ian Ure, Smith came in late and crocked Caldow.

Back then, tackles like that were the norm, and sometimes even worse (as my legs can well attest to) and that's why Smith didn't even get booked for it, even although it was a fucking horrendous tackle and a dirty act into the bargain, bordering on assault. Yes, he was an animal and could have easily pulled out of it, but that was no consolation to one of the best left backs I've ever seen.

P.S. I'm sure I've got a clip of this game somewhere on my computer, so I'll have a look for it.

bornabear likes this

16 hours ago, HG5 said:

Hi Ozblue - how are you keeping?

Does sound odd in that context - maybe I’ve mis-remembered the exact reason, but I’m pretty sure (as the story went) he was out to ‘do’ someone.

I'm doing reasonably well after my stroke, HG.and have recovered about 70% of my eyesight, so I hope you are in the pink, my friend. I would have no clue about that story, although I think if that was the case Dave Mackay would have sorted him out. Perhaps we will never find out if it was true or only Scottish paper talk.

14 hours ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

before subs were allowed most english cup finals had 10 men on most games.that tackle more or less shortened eric,s career he was never the player he was for speed, best left back in my time ever. but for some reason he got played at right back to let john little play l. b. if i mind did dave wilson not cover the job of l.b. with honors.

I think most games in Britain finished with 10 or less men back in the days before subs. It certainly shortened his career, although he was 32 yrs old when he last played for Rangers. The actual reason he played right back in his early days was because big Corky Young had to move to Centre half when Big Ben Woodburn got shafted by the SFA and Eric could play either side of the defence.

You are 100% correct about Davie Wilson playing the game of his life after Caldow got stretchered off, as he covered every blade of the Wembley turf as the left back- left winger, so much so that'it's rumouredthat Davie demanded double appearance money for doing two jobs  🙂

Bobby Hume likes this

2 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

I'm doing reasonably well after my stroke, HG.and have recovered about 70% of my eyesight, so I hope you are in the pink, my friend. I would have no clue about that story, although I think if that was the case Dave Mackay would have sorted him out. Perhaps we will never find out if it was true or only Scottish paper talk.

Good to hear about your progress — keep it up! - and nice to see you back posting.

All good here, thanks.

I’ll need to do some more digging & see if I can come across the article I’m thinking of.

Bobby Hume likes this

13 hours ago, harlands plater said:

My old man also said Duncan Edwards was a dirty player, and this was all  forgotten because he died at Munich. 

I would have to say that Duncan Edwards was one of the toughest uncompromising yet talented players I have ever had the pleasure to see; he was a colossus who could play anywhere on the park. He would run through a brick wall to win a challenge, so I guess it's a personal opinion whether he was a dirty player or just a hard fucker with bags of skill.

9 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Good to hear about your progress — keep it up! - and nice to see you back posting.

All good here, thanks.

I’ll need to do some more digging & see if I can come across the article I’m thinking of.

I hope you find it,  mate,  as it should make interesting reading and where the story originated from.

HG5 likes this

22 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

I would have to say that Duncan Edwards was one of the toughest uncompromising yet talented players I have ever had the pleasure to see; he was a colossus who could play anywhere on the park. He would run through a brick wall to win a challenge, so I guess it's a personal opinion whether he was a dirty player or just a hard fucker with bags of skill.

I don’t know if my old man was a bit biased against English players right enough, back then it was the Rangers support who backed the Scottish national team and the English were seen as our great rivals.

And if he thought Bobby Smith and Duncan Edwards were dirty players, you should have heard him when he started on about Bertie Auld and John Clark.

7 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

I don’t know if my old man was a bit biased against English players right enough, back then it was the Rangers support who backed the Scottish national team and the English were seen as our great rivals.

And if he thought Bobby Smith and Duncan Edwards were dirty players, you should have heard him when he started on about Bertie Auld and John Clark.

You are right in what you say about supporting the national team. Bertie Auld was a dirty cunt who would have kicked fuck out his Granny if she had boots on. It's ironic that you mention John Clark because he was my next door neighbour; basically the super Tim in a house full of Tims. Even when we had a kick around down the park he was uncompromising breaking down attacks. Weirdly enough, his younger brother was a far better player than John. I am absolutely positive John Clark would have paid the tarriers just to sweep out the old piggery....bitter tarrier cunt.

siddiqi_drinker likes this

10 minutes ago, backup said:

Eric never criticised smith for the tackle at all.

DA9188EB-722E-41C0-9B59-BBC72608C890.jpeg

I think your post confirms what I have said in this thread. Well spotted, backup.

bornabear likes this