Eric Caldow 1934 - 2019

8 hours ago, Ozblue said:

I think your post confirms what I have said in this thread. Well spotted, backup.

the  game in the ecwc where they did us proper  i mind mckinnon being terrified of big smith ,when he went for a cross he usualy got it /and whoever got in the way

7 hours ago, backup said:

😀

3 legends, will we ever see their ilk again !

jimmy best no.9 at the time eric best in busines ralphy great poacher not lacking in effort,,i think i will sit and look at them ,they bring bac k so many good memories

16 hours ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

the  game in the ecwc where they did us proper  i mind mckinnon being terrified of big smith ,when he went for a cross he usualy got it /and whoever got in the way

Fucking hell mate! It's taken me 57 years to forget that mauling and you have to remind me of it :nailbiting: That Spurs side were frightening and I think we got off lightly with the 8-4 aggregate score. I'll never forget that game at Ibrox when Jimmy Greaves went waltzing past almost half our team to score in the first 10 minutes. It's not as if we had a bunch of diddies on the park either; as we had Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow, Davis, McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, McMillan, Miller, Brand, Wilson, all playing.  Of course, we scored through a Ralphie Brand header, but then Smith hit one past Ritchie before Davie Wilson pulled us level on the night. I have no idea what our defence was playing at but Smith scored again to put us out of our misery.

I actually think we didn't play bad, but the magic of the late great John White and Jimmy Greaves was a bit too much for us, plus the fact we were Naive at White Hart Lane in our set up, which basically made the return leg a bridge too far.

6 hours ago, Ozblue said:

Fucking hell mate! It's taken me 57 years to forget that mauling and you have to remind me of it :nailbiting: That Spurs side were frightening and I think we got off lightly with the 8-4 aggregate score. I'll never forget that game at Ibrox when Jimmy Greaves went waltzing past almost half our team to score in the first 10 minutes. It's not as if we had a bunch of diddies on the park either; as we had Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow, Davis, McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, McMillan, Miller, Brand, Wilson, all playing.  Of course, we scored through a Ralphie Brand header, but then Smith hit one past Ritchie before Davie Wilson pulled us level on the night. I have no idea what our defence was playing at but Smith scored again to put us out of our misery.

I actually think we didn't play bad, but the magic of the late great John White and Jimmy Greaves was a bit too much for us, plus the fact we were Naive at White Hart Lane in our set up, which basically made the return leg a bridge too far.

remember we were in the cover across from the tunnel and before the game blanchflower and mckay were playing about right in front and the comments were flying and danny and dave were roaring and laughing,how you miss this joking before the start ,great team spurs then worked in slough for a bit and used go along see spurs,co0uild,nt get a ticket for our game but got some stick next day..

2 hours ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

remember we were in the cover across from the tunnel and before the game blanchflower and mckay were playing about right in front and the comments were flying and danny and dave were roaring and laughing,how you miss this joking before the start ,great team spurs then worked in slough for a bit and used go along see spurs,co0uild,nt get a ticket for our game but got some stick next day..

Aye, you used to get some banter back in those days from both fans and players, unlike the modern game. I think that night was close to being the coldest I've ever been at Ibrox, but to see those great players battle it out was a privilege, and if my memory is correct, I think Spurs went on to win the trophy that season.

21 hours ago, Ozblue said:

Aye, you used to get some banter back in those days from both fans and players, unlike the modern game. I think that night was close to being the coldest I've ever been at Ibrox, but to see those great players battle it out was a privilege, and if my memory is correct, I think Spurs went on to win the trophy that season.

winners 1963

17 hours ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

winners 1963

Yes, I thought I was correct and I think they won easily against a Spanish side in the final. I'd like to know how many times we've been knocked out in European competitions by the sides who have gone on the win the tournament? Quite a few I'd imagine.

5 hours ago, Ozblue said:

Yes, I thought I was correct and I think they won easily against a Spanish side in the final. I'd like to know how many times we've been knocked out in European competitions by the sides who have gone on the win the tournament? Quite a few I'd imagine.

youi can start with foirentina and bayern munich

17 hours ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

youi can start with foirentina and bayern munich

Yes, we know Fiorentina 1-4 over two legs in the CWC in 1961; Bayern Munich 0-1 aet in the CWC 1967; Zenit Saint Petersburg 0-2 in the Uefa Cup in 2008, but I'm talking about being knocked out before the final by any team that went on to win the competition, such as Spurs in the 1962-63 first round of the CWC.